VIDEO: HAAS Delay and how to use it

Danny Danzi

Power User
I've mentioned this word in two of my videos and always wanted to explain it a bit more in case people wondered about it. Someone actually asked me a few minutes ago to explain it as this video was rendering, so it's perfect timing! Some of you guys know about this little effect trick, but some may not...so here you go. More Danny silliness! :)

I've mentioned this word in two of my videos and always wanted to explain it a bit more in case people wondered about it. Someone actually asked me a few minutes ago to explain it as this video was rendering, so it's perfect timing! Some of you guys know about this little effect trick, but some may not...so here you go. More Danny silliness! :)

Thanks for this! Great useful info!!!

Nice video! One thing to note is that applying this trick causes issues when you collapse to mono (you will lose level).

The "modern" mode of the Enhancer block works around this.

Would there be any value to attaching Time L or Time R (or both) to an LFO controller set up so that Time ranges above and below a central Time value?

I don't know how much of a difference this would make, but my first thought is that it could add some variation over time to the delay times so that they're not fixed. This would be more similar to a double-tracking scenario where the part is played a second time, sometimes slightly ahead of and sometimes slightly behind the first take.

Would there be any value to attaching Time L or Time R (or both) to an LFO controller set up so that Time ranges above and below a central Time value?

I don't know how much of a difference this would make, but my first thought is that it could add some variation over time to the delay times so that they're not fixed. This would be more similar to a double-tracking scenario where the part is played a second time, sometimes slightly ahead of and sometimes slightly behind the first take.

I think that AlbertA posted a preset for this called 'double trouble' more than a year ago. It slightly modulated the delay time and level of one side before the amp block (the preset used 2 amp blocks). I never played the actual preset but I used the same kind of settings on my ultra which i had at the time. Now i use an xl+ and its probably time to dig up those settings again

Holy Sh*t, that's cool! Danny you are killing it with your vids of late. Get an album out and I will buy it on principle just to support your work!

Ah you're too kind, thanks so much. I love helping people, man. I really do. As long as I have time, I don't mind sharing. You'll see a lot of me, then you won't....my schedule is so jacked up. My only day off was today. Tomorrow I'm in the studio from 10 am until probably Sunday. LOL! But I'll still stop back here as often as I can.

Yeah working on my album right now actually between messages. LOL! Doing drum editing....I soo hate this part! I do a few measures, post a message, a few more measures....post a message. Hahaha!

I've actually got two albums already released worldwide, but they are older and probably not available for a fair price anymore. New label deals I'm working on promised to get the two old ones back in circulation again. I know my label in Japan, Marquee Avalon has both...but whew....they were super pricey last time I checked. That's one thing I've always hated....price gouging. No piece of plastic should ever exceed $10-$12 in my opinion. I remember when I signed my first deal in 1999, this store around here was selling my CD for like $30! I called to ask why they said "it's an import" and I said "well here, buy it from this distributor so you can actually sell the darned thing and I can actually eat!" She says..."oh we can't buy from them, we can only buy from this place".

I do some research and find out "this place" was buying from a US distributor and was gouging people. If I could have made them pull it from the shelves, I would have. I love my songs, but they ain't worth $20 with shipping included let alone $30. LOL! Anyway....thanks again, zenaxe. If ya dig the vids and the info and got something out of it, that's support enough. :)

Very freaking cool! I almost always go for the old EVH +9/-9 Detune effect but this has me intrigued. Thanks for sharing!

The difference there is, the Eddie sound has a chorus type swirl due to the detune. The HAAS doesn't have the chorus type thing going on. It's literally a carbon copy of itself a few ms apart.

Is that what Ed uses on the detune thing....+9/-9? I never knew what he actually used....gonna try that on my 1984 sound, thanks.

I just looked at my pitch block on my 1984 sound....+7/-7 hahaha....so I was close! :)

Danny, this was an awesome video. I used to just use a single delay block with 30ms in an attempt to recreate this effect, but your technique blew that out of the water! Made everything sound huge. Then I ended up going further down the rabbit hole and throwing an Enhancer block at the end of my chain and trying things out with one on and the other one off. After noodling around for and hour I came to the conclusion that the two are very close. Then I fell asleep with my guitar on my lap......getting old sucks :D

I might keep both in my main patch and leave one on for cleans and the other on for my dirty and see if I can pick a winner. Thanks again for this video.

The difference there is, the Eddie sound has a chorus type swirl due to the detune. The HAAS doesn't have the chorus type thing going on. It's literally a carbon copy of itself a few ms apart.

Is that what Ed uses on the detune thing....+9/-9? I never knew what he actually used....gonna try that on my 1984 sound, thanks.

I just looked at my pitch block on my 1984 sound....+7/-7 hahaha....so I was close! :)
LOL! It's much more prominent on the Balance album. That's where I first read about it. It's probably the same thing just a higher mix level on the later albums.

Back
Top Bottom