VIDEO From Van Halen I to 1984 (PATCHES INCLUDED)

I just bought the ax8. Been an amp guy for many years so this is a little advanced for me. How do you save a tone block as a cab?

You can't. The tone block as a cab is done using an XL+, XL or AxeFxII. They have tone match capability that can create cab blocks. From there, the cab blocks can be brought into an AX8. But you can't create a cab block with an AX8.

Wow. I am a big early VH Fan..... These sound incredible ! This pushed me over the edge to buy an AX8. Just waiting for them to come back in stock.

Awesome! Did you ever get one? If so, best of luck with it!

I'm running 7.02 beta currently. I have this preset. ( Thanks DANNY ) YOU ROCK !!!!!
And I personally don't understand how anyone can complain about the preset sound with the current firmware. The heart of the effects are there. That's gotta be 90% of it.
I run a factory cab with it , and a completely different amp and a drive too. Kicks major AZZ. I played some VH for some bandmates a few weeks ago , with my own changes , and they were jaw dropped.

I will say , with presets from anyone other than yourself , the guitar , the pickups in it , and the speakers your listening to it on , - ALL make a huge difference in what you hear.
I use a fairly low output humbucker.

Thanks!! Yeah, the newer FW needs the master volume lowered on the majority of the amps. Some of it due to volume, others due to mid range boost having the master up louder. I get results that are a little crispier using settings on the master from 2.70 to 3.50 for most amps that sound "a little off". Glad the preset worked for you, thanks again!

@Danny Danzi you rock.. Thanks for these presets. Your demos are awesome as well.

Thanks a lot!! And you're welcome! :D

So I just read through this whole thread once again ....

Seems like the last Firmware version that was being discussed was 7.x ... just wondering if someone has tried them in 8.2, and if so do they translate better than the 7 version?

Thanks
Rick

Hey Danny thank you so much bro! I love this guy he is my USA brother I was toying with buying the AX8 and he made me a 30 minute video about the pro's and cons who does that these days only Danny Danzi. Well am loving my AX8 thanks for the presets Danny they are as always amazing!

So I just read through this whole thread once again ....

Seems like the last Firmware version that was being discussed was 7.x ... just wondering if someone has tried them in 8.2, and if so do they translate better than the 7 version?

Thanks
Rick

Hi Rick, yeah I'm using them in 8.2 with a few tweaks of the master volume of the amp. The more past 4.0 you go, the more mids you pick up. Backing down below 4.0 down to about 2.60 changes the presence of the amp and gives you a little more sizzle. You should be able to get these where you need them with a few little tweaks. I still prefer the older FW for this particular sound live though as it just seems to "have it" without tweaking anything. But I've been successful using the latest fw in the studio.

Hey Danny thank you so much bro! I love this guy he is my USA brother I was toying with buying the AX8 and he made me a 30 minute video about the pro's and cons who does that these days only Danny Danzi. Well am loving my AX8 thanks for the presets Danny they are as always amazing!

Aww thanks John! Love ya too my brother! Glad you're enjoying your AX8 and it's done what you've needed it to. I always get a little hesitant when it comes to recommending stuff like this because...well, you know, everyone is different and tone is a subjective animal. I had a feeling you'd really enjoy working with this piece though, because it has so many options but is also way easier to program than that other beast we used to use. ;) And you're welcome...glad you like the presets!

An absolutely amazing preset... Im just too dumb to get it to work I guess! I upload the preset and play it but there is a great deal of latency.. I know im doing something wrong, but if anyone could possibly help I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance!

An absolutely amazing preset... Im just too dumb to get it to work I guess! I upload the preset and play it but there is a great deal of latency.. I know im doing something wrong, but if anyone could possibly help I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance!
One preset won't have more latency than another preset. Can you tell us what you mean by "latency?"

It just occurred to me: IIRC, that preset has dry signal on one side and delayed signal on the other side. If you had the output panned hard, you might have only heard the delay signal.

It just occurred to me: IIRC, that preset has dry signal on one side and delayed signal on the other side. If you had the output panned hard, you might have only heard the delay signal.
I think that was the trick. The output was set panned to one side I anticipate for stereo out?

I think that was the trick. The output was set panned to one side I anticipate for stereo out?

Hi Pete,

Yeah, exactly that. Eddie is always panned on one side and his reverb is on the other. I am in the process of creating a few different patches of the vh stuff without the pan. Though it sounds killer and is fairly authentic, it's a pain in the ass to play with and I hate hearing myself on one side only. Neat for recording but for live it'd annoying to me.

Hi Pete,

Yeah, exactly that. Eddie is always panned on one side and his reverb is on the other. I am in the process of creating a few different patches of the vh stuff without the pan. Though it sounds killer and is fairly authentic, it's a pain in the *** to play with and I hate hearing myself on one side only. Neat for recording but for live it'd annoying to me.
It sounds SO good like that my girlfriend didn't think I was playing she thought it was the record!! Clearly your tone and not my playing!! Is it possible to catch that tone in "real time" for lack of a better word?? So amazing. Is it possible to get the Scenes in the display as well. I'm so new to it but I've never heard anything as amazing as that. Thank you for responding and look forward to anything else you may share!!

Hi Pete,

Hmm not sure what you mean by real time. Can you try to explain that a little better?

I believe you can edit to see scenes if you want, although I've never tried to do that because I would rather memorize the scenes and have my effects visible at all times should I need to bypass or enable.

The scenes are basically the same sound over and over with the option to turn effects off or on. The only two totally different sounds are the clean on scene 2 and the lead sound on scene 5.

I haven't used that version of the preset in a long time, but I can't see me going too far astray from what I use today.

Scene one should be an Eddie core tone with a delay. Scene two a clean which could be used for hear about later, and kill the chorus and you could do take your whiskey and ice cream man etc.

Scene 3 is the same as scene 1 only we have a delay created specifically for ain't talking with a different flange as well. I only use this sound for ain't talkin. So the only differences between scene 1 and 3 are two different flanges and delays.

Scene 4 is the same as 1 and 3 but has no delay and is an old Eddie rhythm tone that could be used on anything. The core of the tone is the same as 1 and 3.

Scene 5 is actually the same as 1, 3 and 4 but I increased the compressor output in the second Y comp block to give us a little more sustain, the verb block has more verb and we have a phaser turned on. Core of the tone remains the same.

On scene 6, we start to repeat like scene 1 but we have a chorus and the same delay as scene 1. This sound is more 1984 sounding. There may be a cab change here as well, I can't remember on that old patch.

Scene 7 is the same as scene 4 only with chorus and scene 8 is another lead patch with volume boost and is the same as patch 5, but chorus is added phaser turned off and the same big verb remains as well as the boost on the comp block.

So you're basically looking at the same sounds with minimal changes going on. However, I thought it would be cool to press one button for the changes so you wouldn't have to tap dance to achieve the same thing.

Realistically, you could do every scene in one scene if you wanted to, but you'd be tap dancing. I just did it in a way I'd remember. My quick cheat breakdown that allows me to remember them....

Any vh song from vh1 to diver down that uses a delay other than ain't talkin, uses scene 1. Any vh song from diver down to 1984 uses scene 6, which is the same as scene 1 but has chorus.

Scene 2 is universal clean.

Scene 3 Ain't talkin' only

Scene 4 any vh rhythm from vh1 to fair warning

Scene 5 any vh lead tone from vh 1 to fair warning and some diver down.

Scene 6 any diver down song with chorus and all 1984 songs with delay in them.

Scene 7 same as above minus the delay as this scene is the same as scene 4 only with chorus, as I mentioned.

Scene 8 is same as above but is the lead patch mostly used on 1984. I don't think I use this one for any other leads.

So see if that helps a little in training yourself to remember the scenes. There is a cab option to change as well as I believe I have two cabs with that preset.

One cab is a little more harsh and can be used on vh 1 through to a few songs off fair warning and 1984. The other cab is vh2 women and children, some songs on fair warning and some 1984.

For example, cab X will work for Panama but sounds way too harsh for drop dead legs. One more...cab X works great for unchained but is not warm enough for mean streets like cab Y.

As you get more familiar with both the AX8 and the scenes layout, you'll just know. :) Hope some of this helps.

Last edited:
Killer Danny!!
I just got an AX8 about a month ago and love it. I played it for the first time live at a show with my band over the weekend. It surpassed my expectations. Anyway, as a Van Halen enthusiast, getting some Eddie patches is of course a priority. Thank you for doing this and sharing them with everyone! BTW, your licks in the videos sounded pretty rippin' to me!

Back
Top Bottom