VIDEO From Van Halen I to 1984 (PATCHES INCLUDED)

Danny, Danny, Danny.......I now have to change my name to "Ex-Mann" due to just how late I am to this party!!!!

I have to play Panama at my next gig & was using one of my own creations.....& then I remembered your name.

I'm in awe of what I sound like now due to your "VanDanzi 1-84" preset. "Thank you" does not really cover it, but I want you to know that this really helps.

It also shows me what the AX8 is truly capable of too! I have some nice presets, but nothing like this!!! The fact that this preset is only at 76% also makes me go WTF!!!!!

& you are right, there Pitch block is just plain fun to mess with and shred on!!!

If you ever need anything (& I'm not sure what I can do for you), please give me a call.......

Thank you & congrats on being added to the Fractal artist roster too, you deserve it in my eyes. If you're going to Winter NAMM this year let me know & I would like to buy you lunch & a beer to 12.....

Peace! X-Mann \m/

This has been my favorite patch through all the firmware revisions. At least to my ears the amp sounds didn't change that much over time, but Q7 really ruined it for me :-(
Who else has this problem? Any advice where to start changing back the amp sounds to where they were?

This has been my favorite patch through all the firmware revisions. At least to my ears the amp sounds didn't change that much over time, but Q7 really ruined it for me :-(
Who else has this problem? Any advice where to start changing back the amp sounds to where they were?

My main preset is one Danny made for me, i tried the 7.00 beta and it was clipping quite a bit, so went back to 6.02. Was gonna give it another shot today to see if i can tweak it.

Wow not sure why I didn't get notifications that you guys were still posting in this thread. Such kind words, thanks guys!

I got some new stuff coming down the pipeline for the van halen presets. I don't know when that will be, but I've been working on it a little at a time. Between my work in the studio with clients, my own original album, home renovations, planning our wedding....whew, it's been hard to do things.

To answer the question about the firmware update....one of the toughest things for me to handle is having to update my tones when a firmware alters things drastically.

I finally had to submit and will tell you what I told myself.

Use the firmware that gives you the tone you need. Try the newest fw and see what you think. If it's not for you, it's simply not for you. At the end of the day, good tone is why we bought our Fractal and it does that with ANY fw. If you have a good tone and are happy, there's no reason to drive yourself crazy like I used to.

I try to look at it like this. If I have 50 sounds that give me what I need in FW xx, what else do I need? I am thankful we can go back in time and use our favorite sounds and fw. The day I just accepted that and stopped trying to reinvent what was already good was the day I stopped stressing myself out.

Don't be afraid to stay with something that works. Though I'm super happy to get an updated unit every few months, some updates make it worth it to do the tweaking, while others, just weren't for me.

Always try them though....the majority of users prefer the newer stuff. Me, once I get something I'm totally happy with...change cripples me in certain situations. Lol! Heck I was happy with 16.1 haha!

As far as where to start to use the VH tones in fw7....reload the amp so that it updates. The new amp voicing is actually brighter to my ears. This fw for me, made the VH patch sound a bit more abrasive.

Once you have the amp set, you can try decreasing the treble a bit on the eq section to make the sound less brittle.

There are a few other advanced settings you can mess with too, but doing the above should get you in the ballpark for starters. Make sure boost and bright are enabled after the amp reload.

I haven't really done much to the vh stuff with fw 7 final, but the little I did do, it seemed liked it would be painless to tweak once the high end i under control. Then again, with the new amp modeling I may change that amp. I'll look more into it and will report back with some settings to try. :)

Thanks again for all the kind words and support.

Last edited:
Wow not sure why I didn't get notifications that you guys were still posting in this thread.
Email notifications on the forum are occasionally unreliable. The notifications icon on the forum however, is pretty dependable.

With my preset that Danny created for me, when i loaded 7.00 somehow i was getting some random cabs in some of the cab slots for the different scenes. But reloaded everything and now seems to be working.

With my preset that Danny created for me, when i loaded 7.00 somehow i was getting some random cabs in some of the cab slots for the different scenes. But reloaded everything and now seems to be working.

I had the same problem and mine didn't fix itself like yours. I literally had to look at my saved cab roster (do that when you get a chance...it's a life saver. Catalog your cabs that you use with each preset just in case.) and reassociate my cabs to my presets and re-save.

I reported it because I had never seen that before and brother Rex told me this is a known issue that will be fixed in the final for the AX8. Glad everything is working well for you. :)

Ok, I'm no VH even though I play in a VH tribute band on the side. It's just that...a "tribute to VH". So, don't be mad at me for not playing like Eddie. LOL! You guys do it better than I do, trust me , I know! :p

And yes, I play in a weird tuning and I know what you see doesn't look right. I'm a weirdo, what can I say. LOL!!

As promised, here is the video and the patches. These are bundle files, so hopefully the cabs load with each preset.

Full video with me playing in it:

Video of just AX8 talk explaining the presets:

DaniDanzi from yahoo chat! vais_son. How's it going man? Great tone!

I lost all the low end and it sounds very "tinny" im going to try to tweak it to see if i can bring it back....
Danny your patch was amazing i only hope i can do it justice...

I lost all the low end and it sounds very "tinny" im going to try to tweak it to see if i can bring it back....
Let me know when you are successful. My attempts failed so miserably that I went back to 6.02 :(

DaniDanzi from yahoo chat! vais_son. How's it going man? Great tone!

Hahaha hey man, I remember you! It's going great thanks, hope things are well on your end? Whew, long time brother. :)

Thanks....I'm sure you'll do it justice. Yeah the update hosed quite a few of my patches as well. You'll need to totally rebuild the patch from scratch and probably use a different amp. Or...just go back to the firmware that made it work for you the best.

Let me know when you are successful. My attempts failed so miserably that I went back to 6.02 :(

One day I asked myself "do you want cool updates that require redoing tones that are already great, or do you want to plug in and play?" I'm so sick of tweaking....I want to play. For my tones, 2.0 and 4.0 are the best for me. My VH tones sound the best on 4.0.

Now that said, if you want a brand new Axe Fx and have the time to tweak from the ground up, the latest is bad ass. I'm thankful I have two units so I can get work done on one, and beta test on the other. But I've officially retired from trying to reinvent my tones. It started to stress me out and the comparison work files were adding up to the point of me losing my sanity. Sometimes for me, I just couldn't get back what I lost or gain anything that was better. Heck, I was fine at 15 and 16 before Quantum. So I've been a happy Axe user for a while. :) Nothing wrong with 6.02 if it works for you. :)

...My VH tones sound the best on 4.0...
So my memory served me right, because I also thought your patch sounded best on 4.0
That's why I tried to go back from 7.01 to 4.00. Don't know if somebody else tried this, but my AX8 started to act really weird (couldn't even load my pre-4.0 patches etc) so I had to go up again to the oldest firmware supported by the current version of axe-edit and that's 6.02 :(

So my memory served me right, because I also thought your patch sounded best on 4.0
That's why I tried to go back from 7.01 to 4.00. Don't know if somebody else tried this, but my AX8 started to act really weird (couldn't even load my pre-4.0 patches etc) so I had to go up again to the oldest firmware supported by the current version of axe-edit and that's 6.02 :(

Yep, certain patches pre xx (not sure which version...6 something I believe) will not load right. My recipe that always works is to back up all patches with each fw.

From there I load the old fw and then then the patches that were saved with it. This way I never have a problem.

Damn looks like im going back to 6.2 to listen to the patch again. Ive been tweaking so long Ive forgot what its suppose to sound like..uuuggghh! Im gonna try to do snapshots of all the settings so I can compare aswell.

Damn looks like im going back to 6.2 to listen to the patch again. Ive been tweaking so long Ive forgot what its suppose to sound like..uuuggghh! Im gonna try to do snapshots of all the settings so I can compare aswell.

If you go back and watch the videos I posted regarding the VH tone, you'll probably see what version was used via Axe Edit or AX8 edit. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the VH stuff may have been created with FW 2.04. Then, whatever happened in 4.0, I seemed to pick up some sort of saturation like what Eddie really gets on the album....so 4.0 has always been my VH tone of choice.

Yeah I too had a hard time trying to get the tones back. The latest FW is one of those "from the ground up" situations where if you want a clean slate, that's where to start. So many others touch a few knobs and in seconds, they got back what they lost. I don't know how they do it. It makes me think I probably don't know what good tone is. So I've chalked it up as me probably being deaf and dumb.

I tweak for months on some FW recording and doing X/Y comparisons and NEVER get back what I lost. You can compare and snapshot all you want brother....I've been there and done that for you. I've failed miserably. Here's how you have to look at it. You have a brand new Axe Fx built in March of 2017 with revised amp models that were fixed from the ground up. You either create a new VH tone/personal tone, or you go back in time to the FW that worked the best for you. Save yourself the stress and comparisons. Create new, or stick with the old. For some of us, the older Axe technology works just fine. :) For those that want all the new stuff, the option is there.

I tweak for months on some FW recording and doing X/Y comparisons and NEVER get back what I lost. You can compare and snapshot all you want brother....I've been there and done that for you. I've failed miserably. Here's how you have to look at it. You have a brand new Axe Fx built in March of 2017 with revised amp models that were fixed from the ground up. You either create a new VH tone/personal tone, or you go back in time to the FW that worked the best for you. Save yourself the stress and comparisons. Create new, or stick with the old. For some of us, the older Axe technology works just fine. :) For those that want all the new stuff, the option is there.
That's a good, pragmatic approach. The old recipes don't always work when the ingredients change.

If you go back and watch the videos I posted regarding the VH tone, you'll probably see what version was used via Axe Edit or AX8 edit. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the VH stuff may have been created with FW 2.04. Then, whatever happened in 4.0, I seemed to pick up some sort of saturation like what Eddie really gets on the album....so 4.0 has always been my VH tone of choice.

Yeah I too had a hard time trying to get the tones back. The latest FW is one of those "from the ground up" situations where if you want a clean slate, that's where to start. So many others touch a few knobs and in seconds, they got back what they lost. I don't know how they do it. It makes me think I probably don't know what good tone is. So I've chalked it up as me probably being deaf and dumb.

Yeah I find that I'll tweak on things for weeks at a time,.. Kinda sucks when you have to start all over :(

Back
Top Bottom