VIDEO From Van Halen I to 1984 (PATCHES INCLUDED)

If you go back and watch the videos I posted regarding the VH tone, you'll probably see what version was used via Axe Edit or AX8 edit. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the VH stuff may have been created with FW 2.04. Then, whatever happened in 4.0, I seemed to pick up some sort of saturation like what Eddie really gets on the album....so 4.0 has always been my VH tone of choice.

Yeah I too had a hard time trying to get the tones back. The latest FW is one of those "from the ground up" situations where if you want a clean slate, that's where to start. So many others touch a few knobs and in seconds, they got back what they lost. I don't know how they do it. It makes me think I probably don't know what good tone is. So I've chalked it up as me probably being deaf and dumb.

I tweak for months on some FW recording and doing X/Y comparisons and NEVER get back what I lost. You can compare and snapshot all you want brother....I've been there and done that for you. I've failed miserably. Here's how you have to look at it. You have a brand new Axe Fx built in March of 2017 with revised amp models that were fixed from the ground up. You either create a new VH tone/personal tone, or you go back in time to the FW that worked the best for you. Save yourself the stress and comparisons. Create new, or stick with the old. For some of us, the older Axe technology works just fine. :) For those that want all the new stuff, the option is there.
Thanks Danny I really do appreciate your input and time.
Keep Rockin!
Rob

Thanks Danny. I'm glad you are getting some "well deserved" appreciation from FAS these days.

I've been on a strat kick for the past few months , and saw this thread. Pulled out my old Gibson R0 and gave your presets a whirl.
Instant time warp / 3 - hour Jamathon. The sounds , the video , the written explanation. Great job.

That tone in the opening video between 16:05 and 16:12 using FW 3.51 (Brit AFS100 2) is simply killer. If this was the only sound I could get out of the AX8 I would still buy it. Reminds me of the final "setting the bias by ear" on my 68 Marshall Plexi (modded) - when you hear it you just know. Cliff has the power amp modelling nailed - and that was way back at 3.51. Many thanks to Danny for these presets.

I'm still waiting for the AX8 to come in stock so I'm new to the scene. Has anyone done a really good Carnal Knowledge/5150 era tone?

Thanks Danny I really do appreciate your input and time.
Keep Rockin!
Rob

Not a problem. If you happen to figure it out, let me know. LOL! :)

Thanks Danny. I'm glad you are getting some "well deserved" appreciation from FAS these days.

I've been on a strat kick for the past few months , and saw this thread. Pulled out my old Gibson R0 and gave your presets a whirl.
Instant time warp / 3 - hour Jamathon. The sounds , the video , the written explanation. Great job.

Not sure about appreciation....but I think Matt likes me. :)

Glad you liked the presets. Thanks! I tried to make them as realistic as possible. Those jam a thon nights remind me of getting lost on YouTube. Ever start watching something and then something else follows and so on....and then you end up in this weird place on YouTube and 4 hours goes by? Lol!

Really liking my VH live tone. I've sort of strayed away from the early Eddie sound and have since gone for something that is right in between the old and say Balance or F.U.C.K. without all the chorusy stuff. Tone wise it's close to the old sound but has a little more beef and gain.

Played a show Saturday night without my 57 or my 421 mics and actually used (get this) an old EV PL60 where the paper meets the cone right at the glue on a 45 degree angle. The tone was awesome! I always seem to do better with crap mics...even on my voice. I can only use my U87 on certain vocal passages....yet I can use an old Equitek CAD E-200 and sound like I should sound using the U87. Lol!

That tone in the opening video between 16:05 and 16:12 using FW 3.51 (Brit AFS100 2) is simply killer. If this was the only sound I could get out of the AX8 I would still buy it. Reminds me of the final "setting the bias by ear" on my 68 Marshall Plexi (modded) - when you hear it you just know. Cliff has the power amp modelling nailed - and that was way back at 3.51. Many thanks to Danny for these presets.

You're welcome. Yeah I've always had much better luck with some of the older fw. Glad you enjoyed it! :)

I'm still waiting for the AX8 to come in stock so I'm new to the scene. Has anyone done a really good Carnal Knowledge/5150 era tone?

Yeah the tone I offered has 3 scenes of that sort of sound. I was actually going to model carnal and balance specifically. I just haven't had the time. But my other preset will come close. You would just have to use older fw for it as the new fw is a totally new box whether you use AX8 or XL+.

Looking forward to it. Your patch tipped the scales in favor of the AX8 over the Helix btw :)

Now that's super awesome to hear. I had two guys come into my studio. Between my personal patches, the VH and two I made for them, they were probably 2 of the easiest AX8 sales that I've ever had. They both literally went home and ordered 2 of them.

I got another friend that is hooked on the Helix, yet has an axe fx II that hasn't been turned on in 2 years. We all have different ears and everyone has a different interpretation of what good tone is. It will always be subjective of course....but even if I wasn't involved with Fractal, nothing line 6 available today competes to my ears.

If I had anything to do with steering you away from The Helix.....thank you and you're welcome. Haha! You seriously got the best processor out there. :)

The cab sounds for the Van Halen presets were tone matches of Eddie's actual sound from Unchained and Meanstreets. From there, the tone match was saved as a cab block so AX8 users could also have the patch. AxeII users could use the TM but using the cab block cuts down on CPU use.

The tone is there for sure but what I'm talking about (and maybe Peter is as well) is the "sizzle" your getting. Like when you play the Meanstreets riff the shit just pops like frying bacon and I can't get it to do that no matter what. Yours sounds like the amp is at 11 and mines at 7.

Edit: I just got my Axe fx 2 so maybe I have a setting wrong. I have the latest firmware and reset everything to stock settings. Maybe it's on my end but I know what Peter is saying.

The tone is there for sure but what I'm talking about (and maybe Peter is as well) is the "sizzle" your getting. Like when you play the Meanstreets riff the shit just pops like frying bacon and I can't get it to do that no matter what. Yours sounds like the amp is at 11 and mines at 7.

Edit: I just got my Axe fx 2 so maybe I have a setting wrong. I have the latest firmware and reset everything to stock settings. Maybe it's on my end but I know what Peter is saying.

I was hoping Peter meant the "brighter" thing in a good way and that it wasn't too bright and abrasive? LOL! You never know.

As for what you are saying...ok, I'm with you now. It has nothing to do with my cab. That sound...is the old FW, unfortunately. The latest version of that particular amp for the Eddie sound, has not been good to me. The improved version is great...just not for Eddie tones. No matter what I try, the amp just will not get me that type of sound. I've not had a chance to experiment with new amps that would deliver the EVH goods.

If you want the sound I got, you'll have to go back to 4.0 or 3.5 or something or you'll need to experiment with all the different amps to see which would work with the cabs I've provided. I intend to do this at some point, but to be honest...I'm so sick of tweaking, my desire is gone right now. My beta testing units are all up to date...but my personal units use FW 2.0 and 4.0. I got all the sounds I need with those.

I used this in another thread showing how weird some of my pup changes are within a sound...but the first sound you hear in this, is FW 4.0 using the XL+ with the second VH cab I supplied which is called EVD TM while using my bridge pup. I don't think it gets any closer than this.

I was hoping Peter meant the "brighter" thing in a good way and that it wasn't too bright and abrasive? LOL! You never know.

As for what you are saying...ok, I'm with you now. It has nothing to do with my cab. That sound...is the old FW, unfortunately. The latest version of that particular amp for the Eddie sound, has not been good to me. The improved version is great...just not for Eddie tones. No matter what I try, the amp just will not get me that type of sound. I've not had a chance to experiment with new amps that would deliver the EVH goods.

If you want the sound I got, you'll have to go back to 4.0 or 3.5 or something or you'll need to experiment with all the different amps to see which would work with the cabs I've provided. I intend to do this at some point, but to be honest...I'm so sick of tweaking, my desire is gone right now. My beta testing units are all up to date...but my personal units use FW 2.0 and 4.0. I got all the sounds I need with those.

It was in a good way. Sorry to not clarify.

The cab sounds for the Van Halen presets were tone matches of Eddie's actual sound from Unchained and Meanstreets. From there, the tone match was saved as a cab block so AX8 users could also have the patch. AxeII users could use the TM but using the cab block cuts down on CPU use.
I just bought the ax8. Been an amp guy for many years so this is a little advanced for me. How do you save a tone block as a cab?

Ok just switched to FW4 and it is indeed much much better. Turning down the Master Volume on the amp made it sound "juicier" as well, but I think it is because my room has bad acoustics and its blowing out the sound a bit the louder I turn it up (foam incoming from Amazon).

Wow. I am a big early VH Fan..... These sound incredible ! This pushed me over the edge to buy an AX8. Just waiting for them to come back in stock.

I'm running 7.02 beta currently. I have this preset. ( Thanks DANNY ) YOU ROCK !!!!!
And I personally don't understand how anyone can complain about the preset sound with the current firmware. The heart of the effects are there. That's gotta be 90% of it.
I run a factory cab with it , and a completely different amp and a drive too. Kicks major AZZ. I played some VH for some bandmates a few weeks ago , with my own changes , and they were jaw dropped.

I will say , with presets from anyone other than yourself , the guitar , the pickups in it , and the speakers your listening to it on , - ALL make a huge difference in what you hear.
I use a fairly low output humbucker.

Back
Top Bottom