VIDEO From Van Halen I to 1984 (PATCHES INCLUDED)

Exactly i loved the organic feel of ur presets... it is indeed very inspiring for my future tone designs! thank you for all the effort you are putting here.

Exactly i loved the organic feel of ur presets... it is indeed very inspiring for my future tone designs! thank you for all the effort you are putting here.

Yeah I felt the same with it and it sounds good through a cab with a few minor tweaks.

Cool thing for those of you wanting to use the patches live, I have my axe fx II and my AX8 going through a console. My axe fx II is also connected to a power amp and cab. So I can literally play Eddie's sound right through my cab and I can tweak it to sound closer since the core tone is there.

My live tone has a little more low end and a little less gain. Effects are also a bit less. But it was super easy to dial in and a little creepy hearing Ed's tone through my cab. A cool kinda creepy. :)

Danny -Wow!
Tonight I will try the pre sets but man you are humble. First off this tone has to be the most often attempted and talked about tone ever with SRV and or Metallica coming in 2nd.

Doing the video and including the IR's -you rock! Great playing as well. I will load the pre sets tonight and let you know what I think. Judging by the other responses they must be excellent.

Thanks again -and all for FREE! This is the stuff that makes this forum awesome!

Danny -Wow!
Tonight I will try the pre sets but man you are humble. First off this tone has to be the most often attempted and talked about tone ever with SRV and or Metallica coming in 2nd.

Doing the video and including the IR's -you rock! Great playing as well. I will load the pre sets tonight and let you know what I think. Judging by the other responses they must be excellent.

Thanks again -and all for FREE! This is the stuff that makes this forum awesome!

Hope they meet your expectations. My girl said to me the other day "you know how much you probably could have made with those presets?" I said "do you know how much money I would have saved keeping my OTHER girl?" Dead silence because I spoil the hell out of this one. LOL!!!

I might release a cab pack and a bunch of presets at some point. Will need to charge a little something for those...but at least I sort of proved I'm worth taking a chance on with what I have shared so far. :) We'll see...knowing me, I'll probably give those out for nothing as well. Enjoy the presets!

The videos sound amazing. Looking to get some help with where I'm going wrong. I'm trying to play this with a Matrix FR10. Does this patch as it is currently set need stereo speakers to sound good? When I first fried the patch, all I got was Reverb. The tone sounded 100 miles away. Indeed cutting the Global Mix on the Reverb from 100% to 20-30% . Is this the best way to dial in things for my uses or better to change a Stero/Mono setting elsewhere?

Does this patch as it is currently set need stereo speakers to sound good? When I first fried the patch, all I got was Reverb. The tone sounded 100 miles away.
The preset is panned. Guitar on one side, reverb on the other—just like the records.

The videos sound amazing. Looking to get some help with where I'm going wrong. I'm trying to play this with a Matrix FR10. Does this patch as it is currently set need stereo speakers to sound good? When I first fried the patch, all I got was Reverb. The tone sounded 100 miles away. Indeed cutting the Global Mix on the Reverb from 100% to 20-30% . Is this the best way to dial in things for my uses or better to change a Stero/Mono setting elsewhere?

It doesn't need stereo to sound good, but it does need it for the sound to be right. If you are running this in a mono situation, yes you'll need to turn the verb down to 20/30% like you are doing. From there, go into output mixer settings and set them to defaults by double clicking them. (except for the output slider) You should be good to go. :)

PS. If you just set the pans to 0 on the output mixer, you can control the verb level from channel 1 knob. This stops you from messing with the verb wet/dry so you could leave it at 100% wet if you wanted to.

Last edited:
Hey Danny, what tweaks do you make for your live preset?

Mostly a few eq adjustments on the amp eq, a little less gain, less effect levels. Stuff like that. It's the same patch you guys have except it's in a axe fx MKII and instead of X/Y options, it has some effects doubled.

It's eq'd for a 25 watt greenback cab which alters the sound a bit. The cab requires more low end and a little less sizzle. Another factor is I've been using the rear input, which has a little more high end compared to the buffered front input that allows for impedance control, which I use to soften sizzle a little more.

There is also a little compensation for my wireless which I believe will change once I switch over to the front input. What my exact changes are from the patch you guys have, I don't know as I rarely see my axefx II other than when I play live. And when I play live, I never tweak or touch that thing.

I've never used my AX8 live into a cab so that hasn't been set up for live yet. Live situations for each person will differ due to what people are using. My live patch that was tweaked for my cab using my wireless and a rocktron velocity 300 will not do anyone else any justice.

Seems as good a place to ask as any. I'm new to AX8 and Fractal so just wondering about the presets. Does the .syx contain the IR as well? Seems a very small file so I assumed it is just the presets information but I see people referring to IR files. (e.g. Doing the video and including the IR's -you rock!)

Seems as good a place to ask as any. I'm new to AX8 and Fractal so just wondering about the presets. Does the .syx contain the IR as well? Seems a very small file so I assumed it is just the presets information but I see people referring to IR files. (e.g. Doing the video and including the IR's -you rock!)

Those particular patches are bundle files so they should load up with the cabs that are with them.

Those particular patches are bundle files so they should load up with the cabs that are with them.
Thanks Danny. So the IR's are part of the .syx file or link to factory installed IR files? Sorry for the newbie questions. Really appreciate (in advance, don't have the AX8 yet) you providing these for free.

Thanks Danny. So the IR's are part of the .syx file or link to factory installed IR files? Sorry for the newbie questions. Really appreciate (in advance, don't have the AX8 yet) you providing these for free.

You're welcome, and you are correct. You get the option to save just the preset without the cab IR or bundled in the preset.

The IR's I made from a tone match from my XL+. There are two and I believe I gave both in those patches. If not, I have included the patches and cab IR's on our AX exchange site which you can find a link to somewhere around here. :)

Hope they meet your expectations. My girl said to me the other day "you know how much you probably could have made with those presets?" I said "do you know how much money I would have saved keeping my OTHER girl?" Dead silence because I spoil the hell out of this one. LOL!!!

I might release a cab pack and a bunch of presets at some point. Will need to charge a little something for those...but at least I sort of proved I'm worth taking a chance on with what I have shared so far. :) We'll see...knowing me, I'll probably give those out for nothing as well. Enjoy the presets!

Danny, it may feels like you missed out on an opportunity, but you didn't.
This is a great community and many other players contributed greatly to it.

You did and do an awesome job and we are all grateful for that.

Sharing is caring! I believe in that. That's why I have built gotpreset.com which partially was integrated into axe-change.

Yes, "opportunitists" who piggyback are kind of a turn off: not because they try to make a few bucks, but they don;t realize they kill others' vibe to contribute and that's a shame.

I suggest to you to set up a "donate" gateway. I am sure many people will support you.

Keep up the good work and thank you!

Last edited:
Danny, it may feels like you missed out on an opportunity, but you didn't.
This is a great community and many other players contributed greatly to it.

You did and do an awesome job and we are all grateful for that.

Sharing is caring! I believe in that. That's why I have built gotpreset.com which partially was integrated into axe-change.

Yes, "opportunitists" who piggyback are kind of a turn off: not because they try to make a few bucks, but they don;t realize they kill others' vibe to contribute and that's a shame.

I suggest to you to set up a "donate" gateway. I am sure many people will support you.

Keep up the good work and thank you!

Nah, neither I or my girl have ever felt that way. She was kidding and I have never thought (up to this point) that anything I have ever shared was worth a fee.

However, if I were to share cabs and personal presets etc that have taken me the 4 years I've been around to create, I'd possibly think about that a little more....whatever "more" might entail.

In my honest opinion at this point, I probably will never share my own personal presets or some of the other artists I've copped. The reason being, it's just a sense of accomplishment that you sometimes can't put a price on.

There are a few people on this forum that know me from other forums or they know me personally. If I got paid for all the stuff I've given away over the years, I'd be near billionaire status.....I kid you not.

That said (I know, this is a no no but I believe and am not ashamed to admit it) God has taken care of me. I have a very successful studio that does so many different things per week, dream job is an understatement.

Not to mention I have a pretty cool music career in my past as well as a new album in the works that will have label support upon completion. Last but not least my name has joined the list of stars on the Fractal artist section. Seeing my name along with my hero's is a high I can't explain.

So no man, I don't feel I've missed an opportunity at all. I've made incredible friends, feel I may have helped a few people along the way, and just thank God for what I've been given thus far in life. :)

Nah, neither I or my girl have ever felt that way. She was kidding and I have never thought (up to this point) that anything I have ever shared was worth a fee.

However, if I were to share cabs and personal presets etc that have taken me the 4 years I've been around to create, I'd possibly think about that a little more....whatever "more" might entail.

In my honest opinion at this point, I probably will never share my own personal presets or some of the other artists I've copped. The reason being, it's just a sense of accomplishment that you sometimes can't put a price on.

There are a few people on this forum that know me from other forums or they know me personally. If I got paid for all the stuff I've given away over the years, I'd be near billionaire status.....I kid you not.

That said (I know, this is a no no but I believe and am not ashamed to admit it) God has taken care of me. I have a very successful studio that does so many different things per week, dream job is an understatement.

Not to mention I have a pretty cool music career in my past as well as a new album in the works that will have label support upon completion. Last but not least my name has joined the list of stars on the Fractal artist section. Seeing my name along with my hero's is a high I can't explain.

So no man, I don't feel I've missed an opportunity at all. I've made incredible friends, feel I may have helped a few people along the way, and just thank God for what I've been given thus far in life. :)
I like that attitude! Thanks Danny.

I probably will never share my own personal presets or some of the other artists I've copped. The reason being, it's just a sense of accomplishment that you sometimes can't put a price on.

I understand. I have felt this way before and it is a generic reaction.
Let me explain my take on that.

I created some bad ass presets before, that I hesitated to share. I shared some and I didn't share others.
Then a new firmware came out and the preset had to be modified or dropped.
So the "accomplishment "period was only as long as the firmware lasted.
The not shared presets got lost forever. I didn't gain anything from keeping them for myself.

But it is not a firmware question. It is more generic.

Lets say you have built the best VH preset on a Boss ME6 20 years ago and kept it to yourself: Would you still feel the accomplishment?

There are so many guitar players' health got worse or died since. Would you feel the accomplishment that they never got to enjoy the perfect Boss ME6 VH preset?

Our life is short, our health is fragile!

Also, you you have 4 years experience. If other 99 players shared their 4 years of experience, you would have 400 years.

I only wanted to share my thoughts on that, not trying to change yours.

Back
Top Bottom