VIDEO: From Van Halen I to 1984 and beyond....(PATCH INCLUDED)

Thanks, this sounds great! I tested out different cabs and found out the Ownhammer heavy hitters collection Marshall "OH 412 MAR EVH+T75 57-01" sounds great with this preset.

Better than the two cabs I supplied? The cabs I gave for the preset are literally tone matched from Van Halen and converted to cab files. I'll have to try that OH as I have it here.

Whatever the case, I'm glad it works for you.

The original is like.. playing in the record. With rawer IR, I'm playing guitar before it's recorded. Sort of more natural feeling.

I like your amp settings a lot, it has this lovely squishy feel and this thick, slight "octave up" -thing on the lower strings that I've hunted with the axe since my first presets, originally trying to emulate a fat Bogner XTC tone. It's like playing an atomic bomb.

Last edited:
Care to update for quantum 8?! some of my fav. patches!

Symphx, if I get some time I may try to but quite honestly, there are so many updates and amp changes from week to week, month to month, I simply don't have the time (nor the desire) to mess with that stuff. My own personal sounds took a pretty big hit to the point where I'm on 4.0 when I need to get work done. I give you guys all the credit in the world that update your presets every update. I spend so much time tweaking and comparing, I get nothing done...only to have another update come along that forces me to do it again. I love my Fractal gear...but fortunately for me, there is more to my life than constantly reinventing my presets that sounded great 10 firmwares ago, know what I mean?

Your best bet would be to start from the ground up and take the cabs that I've given and select an amp that compliments the Eddie tone while using them. Those cabs were modeled using Unchained and Meanstreets. So they should get you close with the right amp. What the right amp would be at this point? I have no clue, but I have been having decent results with the amp I used in the original when you reload it in 8.0.

It may be a bit mid range heavy to where you can cut out some mids...but then again, I've not updated to 8.01 and have read some amps sound a little brighter. 8.0 made the amp a little mid range sounding though....and I was able to come close in about 8 minutes, but I never super compared and finalized anything.

I'm pretty booked up with studio work as well as shows and working on my own album at the moment. So by the time I get time to look further and compare, we'll be at FW 9.5. LOL! I sort of wish we had updates twice a year or something. Some people get lucky with little to no tweaking...my sounds are just about useless after an update, so my tweaking is unbearable and it actually depresses me. So I revert to a FW that just makes me smile and I'm happy again. :D But if I get a free minute, I'll see what I can do for you as I like 8.0...I just haven't had the time to really dive in. 8.01 probably changes things in a different light. I have to load that up to test it for bugs, which I hope to do in the next few days. I'll see what the amps can do and get back to you.

Symphx, if I get some time I may try to but quite honestly, there are so many updates and amp changes from week to week, month to month, I simply don't have the time (nor the desire) to mess with that stuff. My own personal sounds took a pretty big hit to the point where I'm on 4.0 when I need to get work done. I give you guys all the credit in the world that update your presets every update. I spend so much time tweaking and comparing, I get nothing done...only to have another update come along that forces me to do it again. I love my Fractal gear...but fortunately for me, there is more to my life than constantly reinventing my presets that sounded great 10 firmwares ago, know what I mean?

Your best bet would be to start from the ground up and take the cabs that I've given and select an amp that compliments the Eddie tone while using them. Those cabs were modeled using Unchained and Meanstreets. So they should get you close with the right amp. What the right amp would be at this point? I have no clue, but I have been having decent results with the amp I used in the original when you reload it in 8.0.

It may be a bit mid range heavy to where you can cut out some mids...but then again, I've not updated to 8.01 and have read some amps sound a little brighter. 8.0 made the amp a little mid range sounding though....and I was able to come close in about 8 minutes, but I never super compared and finalized anything.

I'm pretty booked up with studio work as well as shows and working on my own album at the moment. So by the time I get time to look further and compare, we'll be at FW 9.5. LOL! I sort of wish we had updates twice a year or something. Some people get lucky with little to no tweaking...my sounds are just about useless after an update, so my tweaking is unbearable and it actually depresses me. So I revert to a FW that just makes me smile and I'm happy again. :D But if I get a free minute, I'll see what I can do for you as I like 8.0...I just haven't had the time to really dive in. 8.01 probably changes things in a different light. I have to load that up to test it for bugs, which I hope to do in the next few days. I'll see what the amps can do and get back to you.
understood, yeah, I take huge hits to my presets as well, but cant resist updating. lol 8.01 that was a bit fast, shoulda been in 8! Thanks for all you do, no worries.

understood, yeah, I take huge hits to my presets as well, but cant resist updating. lol 8.01 that was a bit fast, shoulda been in 8! Thanks for all you do, no worries.

Yeah I'm with you. I like to try the updates too. But it sure is nice to just plug in and play. :) I had a cancellation tomorrow so after I run my errands, I'll see what I can do. I wish I had the time to do more. I miss this place.

What oft was thought but ne'er so well expressed...I am still on FW 6 because it has the ability to revert to earlier modeling and Maestro your presets are simply spectacular.

Please check through the posts in the thread for additional info and a new video that was just uploaded 5-1-16 with each scene and setting for each block for those that do not have an XL+

To jump to that video it's here:

You may want to look at the other video first though as well as the patch here at post #14. :)

Hey guys,

Got two really killer patches coming your way with a video to show you how to use them. You literally should be able to get just about any VH tone you can think of with these if you do a little tweaking.

I'd post them tonight, but I'm getting hammered by storms and have other work I need to do once it passes. I'm hoping to shoot the video later tonight or tomorrow and wrap this up for you in a day or so....sooner if possible.

These patches basically have tone matches in them from Unchained and Mean Streets. With both of them, all you have to do is minor tweaking to get any VH tone you want...just about. The presets are pretty much like the last one I shared, but these have a little more going on. Easy to use though, I promise!

I'm going to try and write something up for you too so you know how to use the patches from looking at a chart instead of referring to the video. But I do want to do the video so you can see all the possibilities. I know you guys love this stuff, so I promise to get it together for you as soon as I can. I just wanted to let you know I didn't forget about you. :)

Great Danny..great patch , great sound....you are one of my favorite guitar player' 80 generation.... best guitar sound in the history of rock...!

My band just decided to cover a few VH tunes (on fire & little dreamer) so I'm planning to start with Danny's preset and update it for 8.01. Danny, do you mind sharing where you got the audio for the tone match? Also any reason you didn't use one of the "brown" amp models to start with?

What oft was thought but ne'er so well expressed...I am still on FW 6 because it has the ability to revert to earlier modeling and Maestro your presets are simply spectacular.

Thanks brother!

Great Danny..great patch , great sound....you are one of my favorite guitar player' 80 generation.... best guitar sound in the history of rock...!

You're too kind, thank you!

My band just decided to cover a few VH tunes (on fire & little dreamer) so I'm planning to start with Danny's preset and update it for 8.01. Danny, do you mind sharing where you got the audio for the tone match? Also any reason you didn't use one of the "brown" amp models to start with?

The audio is just the intro to unchained and mean streets. I then converted the tone match to a cab file.

The brown amps didn't sound good to me. Eddie has a certain sizzle and saturation while getting pinch harms that I couldn't get right with any other amp that I tried. Trust me, I tried several before I chose the one in the preset.

You actually can get away with reloading the 8.01 amp block and tweaking there. But it's still missing something to me that I can't quite put my finger on.

The new fw to me either made the amps too honky with mids or too abrasive with highs. I had a hard time finding that in between and things started sounding more transistor and synthetic the more I messed with them.

So I said screw it and rolled back to where the tones work for me. You know I found something else weird....the tones I created in fw 6 translate great in 8.01 as long as I don't reload anything. So I've been messing with 8.01 again. ;) I may update some stuff.

Did you try just redoing the TM in Q8.01? My lead tone with Brit silver amp right now is the best I've ever had. It's probably a case of some things are improved others not.. always seems like a mix n match with new FW

did anyone have any success in updating these brilliant patches.

I have now gone onto firmware 10 on my axe fx 2 after not playing my guitar for a year and they do not sound as brilliant as they used to

would the firmware effect the tone matched cabs ? or is it case of finding a new amp

I've been working on doing them in my spare time. The problem is, I haven't had much spare time lately. I'm close with the new fw but it's not quite there.

Yeah the issue is, when amps are updated things change. Finding a new amp is important, but I'm probably going to redo the tone matches with the new fw and amps through my XL+ and then save as cab files so we can use them in the AX8.

I also don't know that I'll give them away for free this time. I've put a lot of time into these new ones, and there's more to the story that I can't share right now. Let's just say I have really big plans for these and I'm really just the right amps away from nailing them spot on.

If they don't blow the old ones away, I'm not going to release them. If they are just close or as good as the old ones, I'll give them away. But I'm going for the gold in these because I've still not heard that tube saturation tone Ed gets from anyone doing vh patches.

There's always a transistor, stratty type synthetic thing happening. Kemper, Helix, and even some people that do Eddie sounds on our stuff get the artifact.

Everyone nails the eq of the tone, but they don't get the tube artifacts quite right. Ed has this tone that nearly trips over itself at times. It's clean but saturated at the same time. It's not a distortion thing. It's the artifact of a loud tube amp dying inside that gets pinch harmonics that you don't just hear. The best way I describe them is you feel them from the top of your skull down into your trachea. That's some deep, twisted thinking there lol! That's what I hear and feel when Ed does those pinches like in the solo of mean streets, Intruder, dead or alive etc. They don't just scream, they cough and scream at the same time and you need a tube amp sim that chokes or as Cliff said to me once, " that starved plate sound".

I'm getting that sound and have 8 of our amps that do it so far. I'm going to try some new tone matches with these amps and I'm hoping that will sort it. The new fw definitely can nail this, I just have to spend a little more time and dial things in. I'm really close, but I'm looking for a certain thing that I'm not hearing yet. I'll post up some samples if I gain any ground. Just finding the time these days with home renovations, studio clients and working on my own album....ugh! Stay tuned! :)

I've been working on doing them in my spare time. The problem is, I haven't had much spare time lately. I'm close with the new fw but it's not quite there.

Yeah the issue is, when amps are updated things change. Finding a new amp is important, but I'm probably going to redo the tone matches with the new fw and amps through my XL+ and then save as cab files so we can use them in the AX8.

I also don't know that I'll give them away for free this time. I've put a lot of time into these new ones, and there's more to the story that I can't share right now. Let's just say I have really big plans for these and I'm really just the right amps away from nailing them spot on.

If they don't blow the old ones away, I'm not going to release them. If they are just close or as good as the old ones, I'll give them away. But I'm going for the gold in these because I've still not heard that tube saturation tone Ed gets from anyone doing vh patches.

There's always a transistor, stratty type synthetic thing happening. Kemper, Helix, and even some people that do Eddie sounds on our stuff get the artifact.

Everyone nails the eq of the tone, but they don't get the tube artifacts quite right. Ed has this tone that nearly trips over itself at times. It's clean but saturated at the same time. It's not a distortion thing. It's the artifact of a loud tube amp dying inside that gets pinch harmonics that you don't just hear. The best way I describe them is you feel them from the top of your skull down into your trachea. That's some deep, twisted thinking there lol! That's what I hear and feel when Ed does those pinches like in the solo of mean streets, Intruder, dead or alive etc. They don't just scream, they cough and scream at the same time and you need a tube amp sim that chokes or as Cliff said to me once, " that starved plate sound".

I'm getting that sound and have 8 of our amps that do it so far. I'm going to try some new tone matches with these amps and I'm hoping that will sort it. The new fw definitely can nail this, I just have to spend a little more time and dial things in. I'm really close, but I'm looking for a certain thing that I'm not hearing yet. I'll post up some samples if I gain any ground. Just finding the time these days with home renovations, studio clients and working on my own album....ugh! Stay tuned! :)

Yeah, definitely looking forward to what you come up with.....I know you're busy, but don't take too long:D

Back
Top Bottom