VIDEO: From Van Halen I to 1984 and beyond....(PATCH INCLUDED)

Ok I've got the patches together with a pretty cool video where you actually see me play in real time using the AX8 and these sounds, just the way you are going to get them.

I'll make sure to include a link to the time in the vid where you can see the patch explanation for those of you who do not want to see me play VH tunes for a little over 12 minutes. I know that can be a downer when you just want to see how the patch works. It's all uploading now.....it's a huge vid, about 27 minutes but quite cool. I'll post it here as well as in the AX8 forum.

Hey Danny i just want to let you how much theses video inspired me to learn some VH songs. I have been a fan EVH for long time purchased 5150, Kramer Beretta guitar, pedals but never attempted his songs back in the day. (I was more into JP/ACDC/OZZY ect.) Now since using your setting I am playing some VH stuff Little Dreamer is my 1st attempt. Thumbs up to you!
Thx Tony

Hey Danny i just want to let you how much theses video inspired me to learn some VH songs. I have been a fan EVH for long time purchased 5150, Kramer Beretta guitar, pedals but never attempted his songs back in the day. (I was more into JP/ACDC/OZZY ect.) Now since using your setting I am playing some VH stuff Little Dreamer is my 1st attempt. Thumbs up to you!
Thx Tony

I know the feeling. I was a fan for a long time too and just messed around with the vh stuff. I never could get the sound close enough because I didn't know enough about sound to get it close enough.

One day I got a Digitech 2101 and things changed. There was quite a lot of power and options with that pre-amp and one of the coolest things was it really had a nice 12AX7 front end to it.

I got a few vh tones that we're super close. One day I joined a vh tribute band in 1993 and I'm still with them. :)

I'm the odd man in the group as I don't wear Eddie clothes (I do my own take on everything) I don't play the licks exact and I don't play or want a striped guitar. I just have fun playing "in the style of Eddie" and thankfully, most of the people that have seen our band, really like us.

But yeah it's amazing how a sound can push you to play things you wouldn't normally play. Ever get a new keyboard and go through all the sounds and be so inspired you could write an entire album worth of material? Lol! That constantly happens to me. The same with axe fx presets.

I think I downloaded yeks presets or something one time, and though they were really good, some of them were way out there and inspirational. They'd make me play things I wouldn't play with my own sounds.....so new presets are always cool. Glad you are enjoying the vh stuff. Thanks! :)

having trouble loading the speaker cabs that you graciously supplied into the presets. anything i could be doing wrong? thanks
and can't wait to be able to use them.

having trouble loading the speaker cabs that you graciously supplied into the presets. anything i could be doing wrong? thanks
and can't wait to be able to use them.

You can try re-importing the cabs manually. I have supplied them individually somewhere. I may have posted them on Axe-Change or somewhere in this thread.

Yeah, I did. Here ya go.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...ond-patch-included.114060/page-3#post-1365331

You don't need the .csv file. Just the two cab blocks. If that fails, I don't know what the problem could be man. :(

Please check through the posts in the thread for additional info and a new video that was just uploaded 5-1-16 with each scene and setting for each block for those that do not have an XL+

To jump to that video it's here:

You may want to look at the other video first though as well as the patch here at post #14. :)

Hey guys,

Got two really killer patches coming your way with a video to show you how to use them. You literally should be able to get just about any VH tone you can think of with these if you do a little tweaking.

I'd post them tonight, but I'm getting hammered by storms and have other work I need to do once it passes. I'm hoping to shoot the video later tonight or tomorrow and wrap this up for you in a day or so....sooner if possible.

These patches basically have tone matches in them from Unchained and Mean Streets. With both of them, all you have to do is minor tweaking to get any VH tone you want...just about. The presets are pretty much like the last one I shared, but these have a little more going on. Easy to use though, I promise!

I'm going to try and write something up for you too so you know how to use the patches from looking at a chart instead of referring to the video. But I do want to do the video so you can see all the possibilities. I know you guys love this stuff, so I promise to get it together for you as soon as I can. I just wanted to let you know I didn't forget about you. :)

Hi Danny,
I can ask a question on the mixer block ?
What was your choice to use the block Mixer
the bottom of the chain
when a block (Reverb) used in parallel, has a parameter of MIX....:oops:

I see that every musician, not always uses the same method
I'm interested to understand, the way you think (your presets) :)

Thank you so much

Hi Danny,
I can ask a question on the mixer block ?
What was your choice to use the block Mixer
the bottom of the chain
when a block (Reverb) used in parallel, has a parameter of MIX....:oops:

I see that every musician, not always uses the same method
I'm interested to understand, the way you think (your presets) :)

Thank you so much

Hi Paolo,

You're welcome. :) To be honest, it was a mistake. I was experimenting with a few things and forgot to remove the mixer. The reason for it was so I could send the reverb to the right side like Eddie does and have the other part of the signal to the left. You can't do that with the reverb block alone even though it has a mix knob. What I should have done, and what I have now in a later version of the preset, is use the output mixer that comes with every preset.

No additional CPU use, and it does the exact same thing. The other part of the mistake was, I was still learning how to set up my effects the right way when that preset was made. If you look at the AX8 video I made showing the same sounds, you will see the "output" section used in place of the mixer block because we don't have a mixer block for the AX8. So this forced me to learn how to use the "output" mixer that comes with each preset. I hope that helps you understand better. :)

Hi Danny,
thanks for the explanation. ;)

When I use the mixer block, it helps me understand better, how to set up (graphically) the various morphing of sounds, with effects - Amplifiers - Eq - etc.
But with the Axe, there is always something to learn......
A "signal-routing" awesome ! :D

Danny I am puzzled and wonder if you can help. I just updated Firmware to 4.0 and no matter what firmware I select under the Global setting you patch sounds terrible as if the volume and balls were removed. Since your patch is my single favorite patch of all time, this I can not abide. All other patches appear to play OK. I am sure it must be something I am doing wrong but until I figure it out I will return to the old firmware. Any ideas? Has anyone else had a similar problem? Maestro anything you can offer will be greatly appreciated. I simply can't do without your patch. It is genius. Thank you for your kind attention.

My apologies Danny! It is not the Firmware. I have screwed something up and I am sorry for wasting your valuable time.

Did you try system settings reset? Sometimes (and thankfully this has only happened once to me) we get some sort of issue with a firmware update and resetting system settings can correct this.

Cliff and the rest of us are confused about this because a firmware either works or it doesn't and you get an error/failure message when that happens.

But in one of the versions of quantum, I just could not make my sounds right. I tried everything and was really frustrated. Someone on the forum told me to reset system settings, I did it, and it worked.

Another thing I have tried was after a firmware update, I reinstalled my patch bank. This helped too.

I'm glad you're enjoying my preset. I'm sorry you're having problems and wish I could tell you something more. I would try the reset and maybe reinstall firmware and see if it works.

I've had no issues with 4.0 but I find I like the sound of 2.0 settings the best for me instead of "latest" setting in pre-amp. I actually have my unit set for 2.0 internally. I forget where that setting is...but I always have it at 2.0 and only save select presets with different settings in pre-amp, where you can change firmware settings.

I'm probably the only one that likes 2.0. (Thanks for keeping that around, Cliff!) I notice a snappier sound that I just gravitate towards when using the 2.0 setting globally.

Ah, xprophet....what firmware setting is your unit set for? You know how you can select 2.0, 2.x 3.x and latest? I would say try 2.0 or the other 2.x because that's what my preset was made with.

However, none of the firmware settings should make the preset sound horrible. The firmware settings change things, but not to the point of totally ruining a sound. I'm just trying to give you ideas to try, but I have no idea what could be wrong. Let us know if you find out what the issue is, OK? Hope you fix it, good luck! :)

Thank you Danny for the advice and tips. It is greatly appreciated. I always use 2.0 with your preset. The other firmware versions take away something form the VH vibe...perhaps my imagination and my old ears but...anyway, thanks again for all of your beautiful work and gifts.

Thank you Danny for the advice and tips. It is greatly appreciated. I always use 2.0 with your preset. The other firmware versions take away something form the VH vibe...perhaps my imagination and my old ears but...anyway, thanks again for all of your beautiful work and gifts.

So did you ever find out what the problem was? Maybe delete the preset and re-import everything back in. I can't imagine what you could have messed with that would make a sound you like turn into something horrible. I've been sitting here trying to think of things that might contribute to this...but the only thing I can think of, is start fresh or make sure the cab block is correct. The only thing to make something totally go bad is the wrong amp or the wrong cab.

For example, you can load up that amp I used for the VH sound and mess with it....you won't make that preset sound bad unless you mess with the EQ extensively or go into the advanced stuff and change things. Or maybe...you edited something on the cab? That's the only things I can think of that would make something totally sound horrible. I believe in my videos, there is one that takes you through each screen for those that wanted to see a visual on what I did.

That said, I think you are going to find out what you did wrong....I have faith in you! :) If and when you do, make sure you post back to let us know what it was and how you fixed it.

Thanks, this sounds great! I tested out different cabs and found out the Ownhammer heavy hitters collection Marshall "OH 412 MAR EVH+T75 57-01" sounds great with this preset.

Back
Top Bottom