VIDEO: From Van Halen I to 1984 and beyond....(PATCH INCLUDED)

O.K., I'm not at my computer right now, but ....

When you're looking at the Input Drive knob, you'll see that it's got a little yellow light in the center of the knob. Right click on it and the controller page will pop up into the middle of the screen. I believe it's the left column that will show you the list of controllers and it should default to the controller ( Ext. Pedal ) that Danny selected. Scroll to the top of the list and there should be an option labeled "NONE". Change to that and when you close the box the controller should be deleted ....

That's it !

GOOD LUCK !

O.K., I'm not at my computer right now, but ....

When you're looking at the Input Drive knob, you'll see that it's got a little yellow light in the center of the knob. Right click on it and the controller page will pop up into the middle of the screen. I believe it's the left column that will show you the list of controllers and it should default to the controller ( Ext. Pedal ) that Danny selected. Scroll to the top of the list and there should be an option labeled "NONE". Change to that and when you close the box the controller should be deleted ....

That's it !

GOOD LUCK !

LOL! Thanks for the assistance! We posted the same time. :)

BTW - I solved the issues I was having w/ the patch ! My computer's in the shop for a few days ( upgrades ), but as soon as I get it back I'll "PM" you with the details on how I did it ... !

BTW - I solved the issues I was having w/ the patch ! My computer's in the shop for a few days ( upgrades ), but as soon as I get it back I'll "PM" you with the details on how I did it ... !

Hello R.D
Please, let me know what u did as well ? I have an XL too and notice something a little off?thanks

Hello R.D
Please, let me know what u did as well ? I have an XL too and notice something a little off?thanks

I'm happy to do that, but it's going to be a couple more days .... I had to take my computer in for upgrades and the "tech" is taking a little longer than expected ....

Hey Danny I used Axe Change to convert your patch to a Axe 2 patch but the second cab, the mean street one didn't come through. Is it available as a stand alone download, the means street cab that is? Cheers
How do you convert a patch on axe change? Or can you put up the axe fx2 mk1 patch you converted thanks

I came to a big realization here today as i was messing about with your preset. First of all, nothing will translate 100% straight across. Guitar, pickups, cables, FRFR type and mostly this - technique. I got a major guitar boner when i heard the preset and when i tried it was left a bit disappointed. I gave it another shot and tweaked with my ears, based on my own gear and there it was! The other major thing was this: this preset is amazingly accurate as i was listening side by side with 1984 album. Only thing lacking is my ability to control the excess noise. Eddie was so good at this, so technique is critical. Big eye opener on this and a great learning curve for me.

I came to a big realization here today as i was messing about with your preset. First of all, nothing will translate 100% straight across. Guitar, pickups, cables, FRFR type and mostly this - technique. I got a major guitar boner when i heard the preset and when i tried it was left a bit disappointed. I gave it another shot and tweaked with my ears, based on my own gear and there it was! The other major thing was this: this preset is amazingly accurate as i was listening side by side with 1984 album. Only thing lacking is my ability to control the excess noise. Eddie was so good at this, so technique is critical. Big eye opener on this and a great learning curve for me.

Yeah this is very true. However, there are some things that you can do to improve things. For example, you mentioned noise. First determine where it is coming from. We can get noise from the way we slide our hands as we play, as well as maybe having too much gain happening in the amp block.

I don't recall Ed having much noise other than his normal "hiss" from the amp and his musical feedback. Keep in mind that I use a tuning that most of you probably don't use. Because I'm down to a C below your standard E, I have less tension on my strings, therefore, I need a little more gain to make things happen for me. You can get away with less gain which means less gate is needed. This will make things sound more natural as well as remove some of the noise issues.

Some of us, like myself, come from the land of 56 pedals trying to create a sound that just wasn't going to happen. LOL! The outcome was, you had to learn how to tap dance, and you had to learn how to roll off your volume knob so quick, you didn't hear anything. I'm so fast with that, it's actually a flaw in some of my recordings. Turning my volume knob off is such a habit, I sometimes cut my passages short jumping the gun a bit too fast. However, if there is a bit of noise in my tone, you will just about NEVER hear it.

I never leave the volume wide open and don't use a gate hard enough to kill noise to where I could leave the volume open. It's just a personal preference, but I'd rather me be the reason my tone cut off over having the gate kill me on a note hold. Where some guys use enough gate to leave their volume wide open and there is no noise, I use enough gate to where there is no noise with my volume closed...and it is up to me to control the other noises and/or artifacts.

So keep an eye on how you play, how much gain you have, and if you personally are contributing to any of the noise factors. :)

O.K., I’ve received a few PM’s asking me about the “tweaks” I’ve made to Danny’s patch …. Sorry it's taken so long for me to respond, but my computer went down and there was no way I could write this out from my phone ....

First of all …, I’m tipping my hat to Danny, because he packed more into this patch than I could have ever imagined …. And as much as anyone else I’ve ever seen too ( with the possible exception of “clarky” ) ….

Anyway, clearly Danny has a great ear for tone, plus the imagination to pull off something like this. I know that a lot of you guys appreciate the work it took him to get here, and you admire his work as I do !

SO THANKS Danny, and next time I pop one open …, Rest assured I’ll be saluting you for sure !

Without further adeu …, here’s what I did to make the patch work “better” for me ( “better” being a relative term ) … !

First, I changed ( essentially reversed ) the Input Trim controllers so that ‘toe-down’ is full gain and ‘toe-up’ is the reduced gain …, I did this only because I like my Amp ‘morphing’ patches to work like the accelerator in a car ( ie; Push on the “gas” to go faster, pull it back to go slower, I’m sure you get the metaphor ) !

Next, I changed ( reversed – the same as above ) the controllers in the Phaser to be the same as the Flanger ( ‘toe-down’ ) is engaged, and ( ‘toe-up’ ) is dis-engaged, now they both operate the same way with the same pedal action …. It was confusing for me to use the pedal in one fashion for one effect, and in a different manner for the other ….

Also, the preset was ‘popping’ for me when I switched to Scene 2 …. So, I noticed that Amp 1 Bypass Mode to was set to Thru. I changed it to Mute ( now it’s the same as Amp 2 ), and viola the ‘popping’ stopped … !

Finally, one last thing …. I didn’t even discuss the basics ( Bass, Mids, Treble, etc; ). Cause just like both Danny and Chewie5150 said right above this post …, that’s where everyone’s guitar, strings, pick and technique are going to differ …. What I did there probably won’t help you …, those tweaks you’ll need to handle on your own !

GOOD LUCK and HAVE FUN !

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom