VIDEO: From Van Halen I to 1984 and beyond....(PATCH INCLUDED)

O.K., got home re-loaded the Cab blocks and it really didn't make that much difference ....

I'm not sure why, but this patch just isn't translating for me ?

I'm drowning in reverb and when I shut it down the dry side ( amp only ) doesn't sound anything like what you're getting in the vid .... It's super bright, no warmth, no growl, lots of ( in fact too much ) bite ....

I guessing that you're monitoring through your DAW and traditional Monitor speakers right ? If you wouldn't mind ( ? ) ..., try monitoring the patch directly out of the Axe-Fx using headphones ?

Unfortunately, that's what I have to do for a couple more weeks while I'm waiting for my new monitors .... Maybe that's the problem ?

But, ALL my other patches sound fine and seem to have translated to the headphones without any problems ....

Anybody else tried the patch ? What were your results ?

P.S. - Probably should mention that I've got a "mutt" H-S-S Strat w/an Alder body and a Roasted Maple Neck. The bridge PU is a James Tyler Super ( High Output ) ....

Updated a little bit ago. Patches all sound fine on my end with no change that I can detect.

Thanks Danny. I'd really like to try this, but I have Axe-FX II and it's only XL format, is that right? As i recall there's a preset converter somewhere though... I did load the ASF100 2 amp and it sounds bright and smooth :smiley:.

Thanks Danny. I'd really like to try this, but I have Axe-FX II and it's only XL format, is that right? As i recall there's a preset converter somewhere though... I did load the ASF100 2 amp and it sounds bright and smooth :smiley:.

If you have an AFX II XL, the patch converter should work for you. If you have a regular AFX MKII (I have one of those too and just haven't tried the patch on that yet) I'm not sure what would happen.

Any AFX II MKII users try this patch? What happens with the compressor block that has an X/Y block for the XL+ when you load it in your MKII?

Are you having issues at all? If so, I can throw together a patch with two comps if need be. I think that's the only thing that doesn't have X/Y capability, right? I don't do a whole lot of tweaking on my MKII. I set it up with my live patches and leave it alone.

Thanks for all your work Danny! One question, I have an XL ....I am new. What is the patch converter, is it part of the axe edit or fractal bot? Thanks

Hey guys,

Got two really killer patches coming your way with a video to show you how to use them. You literally should be able to get just about any VH tone you can think of with these if you do a little tweaking.

I'd post them tonight, but I'm getting hammered by storms and have other work I need to do once it passes. I'm hoping to shoot the video later tonight or tomorrow and wrap this up for you in a day or so....sooner if possible.

These patches basically have tone matches in them from Unchained and Mean Streets. With both of them, all you have to do is minor tweaking to get any VH tone you want...just about. The presets are pretty much like the last one I shared, but these have a little more going on. Easy to use though, I promise!

I'm going to try and write something up for you too so you know how to use the patches from looking at a chart instead of referring to the video. But I do want to do the video so you can see all the possibilities. I know you guys love this stuff, so I promise to get it together for you as soon as I can. I just wanted to let you know I didn't forget about you. :)

Is this video essentially meant to replace the last, by adding more , improving and or replacing the tone match? Do you personally prefer this preset to the last? thanks again for all your efforts, amazing again!

When I want an old vh patch, I use the first one I gave you. When I want a 1984 sound as well as a newer Eddie sound, I use the one I gave you here.

However, I gave you everything and more all in one patch with this one as well as another cab block. So this patch is a more complete vh patch as the other does not have some of what you get here.

RD what do you think will be the best way to go about this?

For now, here is the csv and the cab blocks.

I wish I had a stream channel or something. Anyone do skype? LOL!

EVD TM = Mean Streets block, which is Y

EVDII = Unchained, which is X block.
Quick question in the csv often there exists 2 values in a column field. Eg level under amp says I think 18,80. Is one a default? Or xy state? Which value do I use? My csv file may be corrupted so some values are in different columns?
If you have an AFX II XL, the patch converter should work for you. If you have a regular AFX MKII (I have one of those too and just haven't tried the patch on that yet) I'm not sure what would happen.

Any AFX II MKII users try this patch? What happens with the compressor block that has an X/Y block for the XL+ when you load it in your MKII?

Are you having issues at all? If so, I can throw together a patch with two comps if need be. I think that's the only thing that doesn't have X/Y capability, right? I don't do a whole lot of tweaking on my MKII. I set it up with my live patches and leave it alone.
actually for me mkll is a mess. No effects params. are duplicated properly (I think they come out default) and mixer has no xy. I've spent hours looking at the vids and csv file to try to replicate.

But the sounds are literally so amazing I don't mind too much.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Got two really killer patches coming your way with a video to show you how to use them. You literally should be able to get just about any VH tone you can think of with these if you do a little tweaking.
:)

Thanks!!!!!

I'm an Axe II user as well so looking forward to the new patch.

You may have said this already so I apologize if so but what pickups are you using?

Last edited:
Quick question in the csv often there exists 2 values in a column field. Eg level under amp says I think 18,80. Is one a default? Or xy state? Which value do I use? My csv file may be corrupted so some values are in different columns?

actually for me mkll is a mess. No effects params. are duplicated properly (I think they come out default) and mixer has no xy. I've spent hours looking at the vids and csv file to try to replicate.

But the sounds are literally so amazing I don't mind too much.

Reading this again, me attempting to build a patch for mkII guys while using an xl+ is not going to work either if the parameters are coming out all jacked up.

So here's what I'll do. I'll create a video that goes through every option while setting up the patch as if it were in an mk II. This way you'll see the patch arrangement as well as the options for each block. I'll share the patch with dual blocks anyway so all you have to do is fill in the parameters.

The only issue we may have is the mixer. I don't think I'll have the slots for one of them let alone two.

The other suggestion for you guys is to take my original patch I released with the mean streets tone, and add a pitch block to it.

Another suggestion is to forget the mix block and create two patches. One with the sound and reverb panned using the output mixer, and another patch with the output mixer without the pans.

If anyone that has been successful with my patch with an xl+ wants to fully convert it for mkII guys, please feel free to help a brother out as I am not totally sure how to go about it and I'd love for everyone to be able to enjoy the patch.

I don't have my mk II here and would have to recreate the patch as it doesn't exist on that unit. I'll try my best to help you guys out as I know you really want to try this....but whew, this can get a little time consuming. I'll see what I can do.

Thanks!!!!!

I'm an Axe II user as well so looking forward to the new patch.

You may have said this already so I apologize if so but what pickups are you using?

The guitar in the video is a custom Carvin DC 400 with active and passive MD 22's I believe. Don't hold me to that....but I paid $10 more to upgrade the stock pups.

That guitar is actually a little too ballsy for that tone. The one I created the tone on was also a DC 400 custom, but the pups are weaker in that which is why a little more gain is used.

After nearly getting both patches to reasonable specs and working at least 3 hours to do so I would recommend (humbly):

Video screen shots of each block/parameters within: IN X/Y modes where applicable. Also a brief chart stating what you have said in the vids but in one concise place what scenes are for which VH tones (including which x/y version of a block goes with which type of tone)

I simply pause your screens HOPING to catch a screen shot of say the flange parameters, and TRY to compare them to the csv file.

ps; Im not too concerned with the mixer, nor even 2 compressions.

I use a Axe FX II and it loads but there is no name or presets. I converted it but it seems to not work. Any II users have any luck? Can ya post a converted one that works?

After nearly getting both patches to reasonable specs and working at least 3 hours to do so I would recommend (humbly):

Video screen shots of each block/parameters within: IN X/Y modes where applicable. Also a brief chart stating what you have said in the vids but in one concise place what scenes are for which VH tones (including which x/y version of a block goes with which type of tone)

I simply pause your screens HOPING to catch a screen shot of say the flange parameters, and TRY to compare them to the csv file.

ps; Im not too concerned with the mixer, nor even 2 compressions.

After nearly 3 years creating those two vh patches and the hours of video, explanation and editing, I've come to the realization that I have an XL+ and that I won't be able to please those that do not.

It's just too time consuming. I'll run a video showing all the parameters when I get a chance and we'll put this one to bed. :)

After nearly 3 years creating those two vh patches and the hours of video, explanation and editing, I've come to the realization that I have an XL+ and that I won't be able to please those that do not.

It's just too time consuming. I'll run a video showing all the parameters when I get a chance and we'll put this one to bed. :)

NO WORRIES, iVE got them down to my liking, whether a few things are off here or there are NOTHING, compared to the sounds I already have from you, and the effort youve put in. All is WONDERFUL, and thanks again!

That is really cool Danny - I will try to load it in Ax8 tonight (There are a few problems for Ax8 users in the patch - We only have one pitch block and one amp block - I think, there are ways to get around the missing mixer blocks, but don't worry, I will see, what I can do :) )

That are some super sweet and juicy EVH tones right there
Any luck on AX8? I tried a quick one before the 3.02 update and things were kinda whack.

cant upload my preset, all i get is error,

so I uploaded on axe change, fyi these took at least 4 hours to convert and fine tune by staring at Dannys amazing vids; You can find his cabs on this thread, download them to yer user cabs. HOpe they work for you, these are the BEST sounds I think anyone has provided on this forum in terms of perfection and translation to my rig. THANKS DANNY!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom