VIDEO: Compression for more gain 2

Danny Danzi

Power User
A few guys in the Ax8 forum brought up an old video I did on getting more gain out of your Axe-Fx using the compressor so I posted another video along the lines of the last compression video, but with a few more cool things. I didn't realize how similar it was to the other video I did on compression, so I'm sorry if some of it seems to repeat itself. Some cool stuff in there though if you have a spare 20+ minutes. Worst case scenario, you can have a laugh at my accent and silliness. :)

Thanks man! Please share the patch, I love that amp. As an anti-Marshall guy I found out later on after hours of tweaking that it's all about how you dial it in.

Really learn a lot from your experience and vids ... highly appreciated Danny!

Would love to understand your expanded thoughts on HAAS(?) EFX? (you mentioned enhancer, delays, etc.)

Guys, he politely asked you not to request his patch ... whazzda'madderwid all y'all? fuggettaboutit ... :confused:

You can learn and see a ton, by watching the video, listen to what he is saying, his riffs and looking at the settings. Plus he's running his own custom IR for "his" rig and his sound ... come on ... be grateful for what he has shared. The value is in his video - not the patch.

You won't sound like that just because you load the patch - I promise.

Last edited:
Hey Danny, thanks for your efforts; much appreciated. Let me start by saying that I'm going for a much bluesier kind of sound, but I think your tone is awesome! What interested me the most was that your using 230+cap on your input ( in the gate block) and you also dial down the high res in the speaker block of your amp. Also, I am pretty sure your using humbuckers and I am using kinman woodstock's (single coil). So here's what I am getting at - I leave the input at auto and I dial down the hi res to around 4.7. I like the brightness (snap) I get from the 1meg input but there is a "feathery" kind of feel on the hi's that goes away when I dial the hi res back. It literally feels like too much resonance on the highs to me. Fret buzz seems to be hyper active.This seems to be more pronounced as the gain goes up. I'm just wondering, is that why your dialing it back? Or is it strictly a tone issue for you?

Hey Danny, thanks for your efforts; much appreciated. Let me start by saying that I'm going for a much bluesier kind of sound, but I think your tone is awesome! What interested me the most was that your using 230+cap on your input ( in the gate block) and you also dial down the high res in the speaker block of your amp. Also, I am pretty sure your using humbuckers and I am using kinman woodstock's (single coil). So here's what I am getting at - I leave the input at auto and I dial down the hi res to around 4.7. I like the brightness (snap) I get from the 1meg input but there is a "feathery" kind of feel on the hi's that goes away when I dial the hi res back. It literally feels like too much resonance on the highs to me. Fret buzz seems to be hyper active.This seems to be more pronounced as the gain goes up. I'm just wondering, is that why your dialing it back? Or is it strictly a tone issue for you?

Hi Mike,

If I had to take a guess, I would say it might be your cab you chose giving you that hyper sound. My fix for that on my end (maybe I'll do another vid and show you what that tone sounds like in a more blues oriented setting so you can hear what I mean) is to low pass my cab block on my lead sound. This way is stops any of that hyper stuff from coming though. The issue there is, for a rhythm sound, you may not want to remove any abrasive high end.

So this is why I use two cab blocks. The lead cab block is always low passed to about 10k...on other sounds, I may low pass it down to 6-8k. This can REALLY wreak havoc in strat type tones as all my guitars have push/pull active/passive with single coil abilities.

So I'm right there with you on this one. I'm not always doing heavy stuff...lol...so I can relate totally. The more blues/strat type tones need a little more care. I usually handle that sort of thing from the other internal stuff in the amp block too. But that hi res was just a tone thing that I liked better for that particular sound. The default for that amp seemed a bit too crispy.

As for the 230+cap, I hate that and wish I didn't use it. But, after a few updates, something changed in something and I get this whistling type thing that I cannot dial out. I thought my XL+ was damaged or something because my MKII doesn't do that at all. It's the weirdest thing. I like auto better...but for my XL+, I gotta use that 230+cap on a few sounds. Hope this helps a bit.

What pickups do you have going there? I'm guessing something medium level? You are doing some serious level stacking there. ;)

What amp are you using? I want to try something. Post back when you get a minute.

Yeh, been messing with the compressor since watching this. Always used it for clean but it works wonders with hi gain! Thanks man!

Ok so I won't ask you for your crappy preset;)
But I will inquire as to what speakers are in your crappy IR:D

LOL! I'll wind up sharing the thing at some point....I guess I'm just embarrassed and sort of have a complex about turning over my naked tones. Kinda like undressing for the first time with my girl...a bit eskeered to let her know I was hung like a horse...

FLY! ;)

That IR is a weird one. I'm not even sure it's done right. I actually came up with this cool tone in my 2101. So I tone matched it and then saved it as a cab. Did a few things inside the cab block, and there it is. The cool thing about it, it actually sounds good using that cab with 75% or more of the amps that come with the Axe-Fx. Most cabs I've tried only sound good with a handful of amps...this weird thing sounds really decent most of the time. :)

Guys, he politely asked you not to request his patch ... whazzda'madderwid all y'all? fuggettaboutit ... :confused:

You can learn and see a ton, by watching the video, listen to what he is saying, his riffs and looking at the settings. Plus he's running his own custom IR for "his" rig and his sound ... come on ... be grateful for what he has shared. The value is in his video - not the patch.

You won't sound like that just because you load the patch - I promise.
yeah sorry bout that, i asked as i was in the middle of the video, and then i got to the end and he was like "let a guy keep his crappy preset" :)

So, now the inevitable ... would you ever do another compression vid for "cleans"? Perhaps not your bag, but between your willingness to make a video, and it's on the AxeFX, I'd appreciate the lesson. You can see the demand here for your mad skilz ... ;)

And, if not Danny, anyone who understand the FAS products to offer their experience, is always highly welcome to share.

Great vid Danny and much appreciated. The tone at the 6 minute mark in the video, and even more pronounced coming up on the 7 minute mark, are all good examples of a rattling/knocking type effect that happens over certain chord intervals. I hear this sometimes and it makes me laugh out loud because I can't believe this is not a real amp I'm listening to... Whenever I experience that effect, I just smile and shake my head in disbelief...

EDIT: I just listened a second time and there's a similar 'thunking' effect in the bass notes happening around the 8 minute mark. There's many good tones in this preset in my opinion.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom