VIDEO: Clark Kent Axe-Fx 9.02 Recto Experiment

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnA64V--PMg

Thought I'd make a song with the new firmware and I just installed Pinnacle so I thought why not make a short video out of it. Tell me what you think! :)

EDIT: I don't own a midi interface so I can upload patches but I can explain them to you since they are really simple settings. I cranked the BIAS up in the advanced settings... I think it makes this amp easy to play.

RHYTHM: Recto New: Gain 6.5, Bass 4.5, Middle 4, Treble 5, Presence 0.

SOLO: Recto Orange: Gain 8, Bass 5, Middle 4, Treble 4.5, Presence 0.

CAB1: CALI SM57 -4dB
CAB2: CALI 421 -8dB

I've got a really slow autowah on some of the solo parts.

I didn't use any post-EQ so this is exactly how the guitar tracks sound.

Cron said:
Sounds awesome. Any chance of sharing the patch or uploading it to axechange?

Check the EDIT in the first post. These are really simple patches. I just think of these amps as the real life amps and how I'd run things and somehow I always like the tones I get. ;) I must say that I'm using the best guitar in the world so I can't promise these settings will sound exactly the same.

Clark Kent said:
I must say that I'm using the best guitar in the world so I can't promise these settings will sound exactly the same.

You're using a 1978 Strat clone from a JC Penney catalog!!??!? AWESOME!

:)

Just kidding, bro. This sounds GREAT! Thanks for sharing. I kind of got a KSE vibe, especially on the dissonance part.

As for having a sloppy solo... .yeah, ok... whatever. I wish I could sloppily play that well. :)

Regs,
Jeff

Sounds great Clark! Nice tune as well!

On a side note, Have you tried mixing the Cali cab with the Redwire Mesa yet? I thought your tone sounded fine as it is but you might like it. They mix very well together. Thx for sharing your settings too, they look very familar to JP's settings on the Japan rig tour,huh? ;)

Thanks for the positive and constructive feedback!

SliderJeff said:
You're using a 1978 Strat clone from a JC Penney catalog!!??!? AWESOME!

You sure can't get these tones out of a strat. They both have six strings but that's the only thing that's the same. :) Custom 24 is tEh best! :p

vedvai said:
The sound is not bad.

But the metric is very messy, does not produce the effect which should :roll:

My English must be falling short here... the metric of what? :?

Axisman5150 said:
Sounds great Clark! Nice tune as well!

On a side note, Have you tried mixing the Cali cab with the Redwire Mesa yet? I thought your tone sounded fine as it is but you might like it. They mix very well together. Thx for sharing your settings too, they look very familar to JP's settings on the Japan rig tour,huh? ;)

I haven't tried it yet. I can try it out today since I'm recording a new song for Clark Kent Job. Which impulse did you think mixed best with the Cali cab? I think I'll try the Cali cab without a mic and long distance IRs from the Redwirez Mesa with a MD421N and an M160. The Redwirez IR should work as a "darkness" knob this way... right?

Really great sound!! Sounds really fat! What did you use for drums? I really dig the snare :mrgreen:

Clark Kent said:
Which impulse did you think mixed best with the Cali cab? I think I'll try the Cali cab without a mic and long distance IRs from the Redwirez Mesa with a MD421N and an M160. The Redwirez IR should work as a "darkness" knob this way... right?
I use the Redwire Mesa SM57-.5" capedge in one cab the other cab the Cali (blend to taste). Sometimes I'll use a mix of that 57 and the 421 same cab/distance but mixed back from the 57 like a 60/40 ratio using the IR Mixer.

BIGBox\48 KHz-24bit\MesaRectifierV30s\Sennheiser MD421N\MesaRectifierV30s-421-CapEdge-0.5in.wav,0.40
BIGBox\48 KHz-24bit\MesaRectifierV30s\Shure SM57\MesaRectifierV30s-SM57-CapEdge-0.5in.wav,0.60

Like you, I like the Cali cab on it's own but give it a try.

5t3f said:
Really great sound!! Sounds really fat! What did you use for drums? I really dig the snare :mrgreen:

Thanks man! It's mainly just the JP Tokyo settings. All the fatness comes from the PRS and ofcourse me. If you want my tone start eating carbs like hell! :lol:

I'm using the Superior Drummer 2.0 for drums. That's the Avatar kit and the snare is the "NIR Z" snare... it's a lot better than any snare in the Metal Foundry. Actually the kick drums suck in the Metal Foundry so don't buy that. These are just the basic sounds in the SD2... amazing stuff!

Axisman5150 said:
I use the Redwire Mesa SM57-.5" capedge in one cab the other cab the Cali (blend to taste). Sometimes I'll use a mix of that 57 and the 421 same cab/distance but mixed back from the 57 like a 60/40 ratio using the IR Mixer.

BIGBox\48 KHz-24bit\MesaRectifierV30s\Sennheiser MD421N\MesaRectifierV30s-421-CapEdge-0.5in.wav,0.40
BIGBox\48 KHz-24bit\MesaRectifierV30s\Shure SM57\MesaRectifierV30s-SM57-CapEdge-0.5in.wav,0.60

Like you, I like the Cali cab on it's own but give it a try.

Ok, I'm pretty satisfied with the tone I'm getting with just the Cali but I'll try different options.

I have SD 2.0 but there's something about the sound of your snare that feels different. The Nir'z snare is also my favorite. Any chance of posting the preset for SD?

5t3f said:
I have SD 2.0 but there's something about the sound of your snare that feels different. The Nir'z snare is also my favorite. Any chance of posting the preset for SD?

I'm using the stock presets. I installed the lite version of the SD because I don't need all that extra stuff. Just load the AVATAR kit and select presets: FULL KIT. Then change the NIR'Z and I'm using the 14x24 GMS as a kick. Then I have them all going into different outs. In the mixer I have all kick mics going to OUT1, all snare mics going to OUT2... same for the toms and overheads. So now I have four tracks of drums and I change the volumes slightly... it depends a lot on the song. Then they all go to one compressor and that's all. The compressor is the Waves API-2500 (which rocks!) and I'm using a drum preset that they have in there. "Drum Kit 3" if I remember correctly. F#3 is the key of the snare that I'm using. The one that hits the snare center not the edge. I usually max out all the midi hits in metal songs so that the drummer is beating as hard as he can. :lol: Velocity is at 127 all the time. For poprock songs I might have it around 100 but snare and kick is always at 127. ALWAYS! :) Hope this helps!

Dude, I had a seizure at 1:42 with all that crazy camera shaking. The tip of my tongue is around here somewhere... It was worth it though. Cool stuff!

Back
Top Bottom