AFIII VIDEO: Axe-Fx III vs Axe-Fx II - Comparing the amp block

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor

Day two with the Axe-Fx III. The first requests were all about creating a fair comparison between the III and the II. I didn't really expect there to be any difference at this point because there hasn't been many advances in the firmware yet but here's a video that's fair.

FAIR = same IR, same guitar, same take DI'd and reamped, default amp settings with everything on noon.

I actually hear a huge difference in the Marshall amp sims so maybe I need to dive in deeper there. The power amp simulation is maybe hairier?

Opinions?

It’s weird...I’ve heard a couple of videos that compare the AX8 and the 2xl+ to the Axe3 and I pretty much universally liked the sound of the 3 more. This is the first one I’ve heard that I actually prefer the 2 in all but the last clip.

Great job on the video. Really nice comparison. I may just hold on to my 2 and AX8 until I’ve had more time to tweak my 3.

Nice video! Lol something was definitely strange in that Brit 800 clip for the Axe-Fx III. Funny how the same IR can make two different amps sound very similar. This video really made that point.

As you said in your unboxing video, the III has a better lowend response and sounds tighter. It also has more highend naturally than the II in most cases. Nice video btw!

I prefer the III in all the clips except the brit 800 in which the highs seem different. It has more body/fullness than the II, and a little more thud! I hope to have one soon and have more than recordings to go from.

Do you notice a difference in feel?

Day two with the Axe-Fx III. The first requests were all about creating a fair comparison between the III and the II. I didn't really expect there to be any difference at this point because there hasn't been many advances in the firmware yet but here's a video that's fair.

FAIR = same IR, same guitar, same take DI'd and reamped, default amp settings with everything on noon.

I actually hear a huge difference in the Marshall amp sims so maybe I need to dive in deeper there. The power amp simulation is maybe hairier?

Opinions?

nice...the IR's you can get where?

I think the 5150 and Friedman sound a little more open. This is what I hear in my III as well.
The Brit 800 #34 sounds weird to me in the Axe III. So not surprised that I don't like it in this clip.

The III have some fizz in the highs that helps the note separation and the focusing in the heavy tones, but became harsh and ice-picking in the Brit800 example (where i like the II much more). But the overall tones are pretty the same.
My conclusion for this and the other comparison videos here and there is that tweacking differently the two machines you can get absolutely the same tones (and for "the same" i mean the same spectrum analyzer plot!).
Buying the III if you have the II is just because one really needs the extra features of the III... not just the tone!
Or... just because the III is f***ing COOL!
Or... it's just G.A.S.!

Opinions?

no doubt in my mind the III is just deeper/juicier and more substantial than the II except the last patch where they both sucked as the tone was flabby thx for posting and loved the clown faces on the stills- very novel! ;-D

Okay so I just got an "idea". I'll do a better A/B comparison soon that goes much more in depth into everything. It'll include a preset that's really cool for A/Bing your Axe-Fxs yourself if you still have the II. :)

For me, it’s just something about the top end and less low mid buildup in the III that makes it far and away better than the II. It’s what I’ve been wishing for the II since I got it 6 years ago. I’m hoping we get that mojo in the port to the II that will/may come, that will tide me over until I got the $$$ for a III.

I watched your shorter video and also the longer one I put a link to below.

After watching your videos I plugged in an A/B box and went back and forth between my Axe FXII and Axe FXIII. I re-created my main preset that I use in the Axe FXIi for the Axe FXIII. To me the Axe FXIII doesn't sound right on the treble strings. The Axe FXII sounds better and more realistic to me. The Axe FXIII sounds much thinner and more piercing in the treble strings to me. With all the same settings the Axe FXII is thicker. You really notice it with a Stratocaster. You hear it even more if you turn on the classic vibe and compare both units. It kind of shocked me. The kind of sound I usually go for is more along the lines of Eric Johnson's clean and lead sounds.

Good clip, seems like the III could benefit from a bit more of a high end roll off on that Brit800, but on the others I think it really lets the tone of the instrument shine through, the II sounds great, but a bit more processed, which is okay by me, because I did buy it to get good processed guitar sounds and it'll do that in spades from now until the circuits start burning out in 40 years! Of course I'll likely have a III and a IV by then too, hmmm, 40 years, maybe make that a VII by then too and I won't have actually used the II in 15 years at that point, but anyway....

So far to me the hallmark sound of the III is that it sounds completely natural in a way no modeler has before...and if that's coming through in the clips at this stage, it says a lot, I haven't heard one in person and can only imagine the feel, but super responsive and super natural ;) , I'd imagine.

Yet the II still sounds phenomenal and what we need is more cabinets in our user slots (I know you'll like that one, but it is also true, I still need to get some more bass cabs and plan to get your Class-A cabs, which now come bundled with a bunch of combos that I probably would have skipped, but I'll likely use all the time!), say, have you tried this all-purpose cab on bass?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom