Video: Axe-FX II | RCF vs. Alto Shootout

Scott Peterson

Global Moderator
Vendor
I own and use a RCF NX 12SMA for a powered cab/wedge to run FRFR for my gigs and preference.
Got the Alto Professional SXM112A Tourmax in here; give it a go. Following is IMHO, YMMV.

Short version: It's good value for the money; but really pales in comparison to the RCF in terms of performance.

Longer version:

Pluses:
  • Nice size, nice weight.
  • Good quality materials and build for the money.
  • It worked when I turned it on.
Minuses:
  • Flubby bottom end no matter what you set the 'preset' knob too.
  • Stuffy midrange. Nasal and boxy sounding.
  • Dull high end. Made the top end of tones sound indistinct; clarity was obscured.
  • Output sound pressure levels are not very high. I was getting maybe 110db about a meter away cranked up, didn't sound good at all when I did that.
  • All the controls and connections are on the back, which would face the audience. That's a disaster waiting to happen, or at the very least a unprofessional looking solution for stage work
Compared and contrasted to the RCF NX 12SMA - like comparing a high school baseball player to an All-Star major league player. The Alto is about 60% of the size of the RCF - that's great! - but there is no serious way to compare the two in any realistic manner. It's just not a fair fight.

Conclusion: Do not know if I'd be happy with this personally; but I'm a spoiled boy now. This is a value box though; for the money - a $200 speaker from HelloMusic - this is a grand slam though.

IMHO, YMMV.

I did a video shoot out; quick and down-n-dirty, but you can get a frame of reference from it.

Thanks so much, I've been watching the Alto thread.

Quick, semi-unrelated question... would you recommend someone getting one RCF or getting TWO QSC K12s in stereo, if they aren't so concerned about portability of having one solid monitor?

Also, can the RCF be heard in a full band without going to a PA?

I've been looking around for a floor monitor or maybe two, don't like the looks of most I've seen though.

Thanks so much, I've been watching the Alto thread.

Quick, semi-unrelated question... would you recommend someone getting one RCF or getting TWO QSC K12s in stereo, if they aren't so concerned about portability of having one solid monitor?

Also, can the RCF be heard in a full band without going to a PA?

I've been looking around for a floor monitor or maybe two, don't like the looks of most I've seen though.

I am no fan of the K12. On sound alone, I prefer the K10 over the K10. I honestly feel, IMHO, that this RCF is another level of product from the QSC/JBL/FBT/EV/Yamaha/Mackie under $1000 boxes out there. Those boxes are stellar values versus your investment and all are very good in their own right. This RCF is a professional solution; those boxes are nice speakers. The distinction is important.

I've used the RCF as a backline with no PA support with a full blown rock band on stage in a mid-sized room. I have a speaker stand and had it up about 8' high and it was fine.

All IMHO, YMMV.

cool, I've not heard the RCF before, but love the sound! My wishlist would have one RCF stereo monitor, right in front of my face when I play live... yeah, I can almost imagine it...

Thanks Scott - mine arrives in a couple of days - looking forward to comparing the RCF to my Atomic wedge.

cool, I've not heard the RCF before, but love the sound! My wishlist would have one RCF stereo monitor, right in front of my face when I play live... yeah, I can almost imagine it...

It's a good dream to have. The reality is pretty damn fun too. :D

Thanks for the swift answer! I'll have to do some more research on the RCF, but it looks incredible.

There is a very informative thread that illustrates both the positive and negative on the RCF here on the Fractal Forum. Read the whole thread - it is worth it.

I just got my RCF (thanks for the hookup Scott). I may be deaf tomorrow, but I'll have a smile on my face. This speaker is unbelievably loud and tight. I'm a clean into medium gain player. This thing feels like plugging into a Fender Twin. Seriously. Headroom galore. I use my FRFR as my backline with no PA in small clubs and this will be WAY more than I need in those situations. It sounds great from bottom to top. There's a clarity in it that's going to make tweaking my patches more fun. I can hear details of reverb and delay that my RCF 310As didn't quite get (though I still think those speakers are fantastic value).

I'm very early in testing, but everything from jazz clean through Fender/Vox/Trainwreck and then adding pedals sounds fantastic. Reminds me of Scott saying something like "at a certain level gear works with everything and doesn't favor one style over the other." I don't play metal or any of it's variations, but I'd be amazed if 2 of these wouldn't keep up with any level you'd ever need. I can't imagine running more than 1 except for stereo. Kinda makes me wonder about 2 10" versions. I truly would go deaf playing these at my feet with anything like the volume they can produce. This has the feeling of immense power you get out of a 100 watt amp, but it sounds great much quieter, too.

Wow.

Scott, it looks like you unplug the audio feed to the RCF from the MFC-101 or is that a patchbay under the 101? or am I totally off?

Dave

Scott, it looks like you unplug the audio feed to the RCF from the MFC-101 or is that a patchbay under the 101? or am I totally off?

Dave

I have a cable that is a combination power/audio. It's very cool. I then took cable ties and added the Cat5 cable, that is what I am unhooking from the MFC.

Very informative scott, the two are definitely different and in this case it literally sounds like you get what you pay for.

Great vid there Scott! Big difference no doubt, but these are two different levels of gear.

I'd like to see a more 'fair' fight tho - like say these with a jbl or ev shootout if ever you have the opportunity.

Nice video Scott, I agree with Jon that it's not really a fair fight but it's good for those who wish to know whether it's worth saving up their cash for something like the RCF over the Alto. I think that for the cash it's a decent unit but it's not without it's failings.

Any chance of sharing that patch BTW? ;)

Spence

Still using my RCF 200s as PA mains. Good to see you going a little bigger on the box. FBT8ma is good, but designed primary for cutting through low end wash, great when the main are slathering you with low end garbage.

Back
Top Bottom