[VIDEO] Ax8 tutorials, tips and tricks - compiled list

I have a video of my own on using an LUFS meter in DAW to match levels between amps and between presets. I find it faster and more precise than using the VU meters on the unit.

I've tried your method to level my patches but I have a problem: if I try to get -17dB in the plugin then the level it's too low. The signal only reach to -29dB in the DAW's channel meter and anything you try to mix with it it's too loud (backing tracks, other instruments, etc...). I've used that plugin but the last version (10.04), there's some config must be made to the plugin (I use the default settings).

The specific level you aim for does not matter as long as it is the same across presets. However, you should be able to get it higher than this.

Well, this is a quick test I've made. As you can see in your video peak levels are above the momentary and integrated ones but not in my case. I'm still struggling with recording levels with the AX8. I use the focusrite 6i6 spdif input.

It is because, you have set target to -23 LUFS. Momentary, Short-term, and integrated are all relative to the target, so when your integrated loudness measures at -3.7 LU it really means -26.7 LUFS compared to your peaks that are at -14.7 dBFS.

You can either set the target to your preferred loudness level or set target to 0.

Here are a few topic based videos

@Burgs shows us how to build a simple but very versatile rig based on a Marshall Plexi - this is basically all you need to start building your own presets.

I have a video of my own on using an LUFS meter in DAW to match levels between amps and between presets. I find it faster and more precise than using the VU meters on the unit.

This was a big breakthrough for me - using a LUFS meter thru a DAW for accurate leveling. I have struggled since day one with Fractal (or anything direct for that matter) to balance the levels from patch to patch. Clean, acoustic, dirty, boost, etc. I have always struggled and I am sure many-a sound guy have hated me for it. Using the DAW with a LUFS meter is a big deal for me. Thanks for the suggestion! Works like a charm and I did it for free using all freeware and a freeware LUFS plug in. Love it.

Cross-posting from a different thread.... how to use Scene Controllers with Input Trim:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/scene-controller-accuracy-for-input-trim.127292/

Summary: The trim control has a logarithmic taper, with a range from 0.1 to 10.0. So if you want Trim=1, you can't just use scene controller=10%. It is actually 50% representing the position of the knob at noon. If you want to be anal and calculate a very specific value, use this formula:
Controller % = 100 * ( ( log10( Desired_Trim ) + 1) / 2 )

Or just use this handy reference chart and interpolate values as needed:
upload_2017-5-18_9-18-55.png

Cross-posting from a different thread.... how to use Scene Controllers with Input Trim:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/scene-controller-accuracy-for-input-trim.127292/

Summary: The trim control has a logarithmic taper, with a range from 0.1 to 10.0. So if you want Trim=1, you can't just use scene controller=10%. It is actually 50% representing the position of the knob at noon. If you want to be anal and calculate a very specific value, use this formula:
Controller % = 100 * ( ( log10( Desired_Trim ) + 1) / 2 )

Or just use this handy reference chart and interpolate values as needed:
View attachment 39878

Thankyou for sharing that - it is priceless. Just built my Excel calculator :)

It seems like I forgot to add this. @nicolasrivera shows tricks for fitting many FX in a single AX8 preset without running out of CPU

I have been somewhat swamped lately, so please feel free to add more tutorials, as you find them. I know of a few that should be added.

You could have changed the REVERB to spring and could have saved more CPU
I'll have to A/B the tone with these "economy" settings for more blocks packed in with my single row preset. Thanks!

@2112 put up this video today - It's advice on how to get the most out of your AX8. He tells you which things to consider, not how to do them, so you may want to consult the manual or other videos. I think, it has great insights.

Thanks for sharing that one. Some good advice in there for sure.

Thanks @Smittefar ! I've had a few messages from people who had recently purchased an AX8 and were anxious about how to get the best out of their unit, so I figured it would be helpful to talk about what helped me the most when I got mine. The wiki and the forum do a better job than I could ever do about explaining how to actually implement these ideas.

Back
Top Bottom