Vicarious GAS

Am I the only one who who explores an amp on the Axe FX III and starts thinking “I should buy this actual amp?”

Then I realize I already have it by virtue of the Axe but I still consider buying the dang thing. Funny thing is I am fairly certain it won’t sound quite as good. My current example is the Marshall JVM410H and JVM410HJS models. I adore the crunch and lead tones.

Either costs more than the Axe... DOH!

Opposite... when it sounds fantastic, I totally kills the desire to have the real thing, at least for me.

What I've learned, after countless amp purchases, thinking the grass is greener on the other side if you will, is that I get the amp, and then find that its too loud, I don't have the right speaker etc, and then I remember why I switched to a modeler in the first place.

There are certainly some really cool amps in the world, but, during the hours I typically play, when people are home, I can't turn them up, and these great amps with the MV set to like 0.01 just aren't moving the air and stuff to sound best. I switch back to the Axe, dial in the amp cranked up, but adjust the output level to something that won't bother sleeping kids, and enjoy a fantastic tone.

Given the prices of amps these days, at least for the ones I usually like, the Axe seems like a total bargain, as its less than the cost of many amps

Opposite... when it sounds fantastic, I totally kills the desire to have the real thing, at least for me.

What I've learned, after countless amp purchases, thinking the grass is greener on the other side if you will, is that I get the amp, and then find that its too loud, I don't have the right speaker etc, and then I remember why I switched to a modeler in the first place.

There are certainly some really cool amps in the world, but, during the hours I typically play, when people are home, I can't turn them up, and these great amps with the MV set to like 0.01 just aren't moving the air and stuff to sound best. I switch back to the Axe, dial in the amp cranked up, but adjust the output level to something that won't bother sleeping kids, and enjoy a fantastic tone.

Given the prices of amps these days, at least for the ones I usually like, the Axe seems like a total bargain, as its less than the cost of many amps
I was hinting at this. Being exposed to these amps via the Axe allows one to appreciate them. Appreciating them leads to wanting to own them. Which we do in a way with the Axe. I’d like to see the Axe models offer all channels and modes for the amps it covers. That would end the GAS.

But then if you’re one of the guys that’s gone FRFR, you’re gunna hate the real amp cause you’ll have amp in the room sound!!

Lmmfao

Kinda

If I had the money I’d probably get a few real life counterparts.
Why?
Not sure, as I’m aware that I’d be able to make them sound and feel the same. But maybe to take them to gigs for simplicity and show off.

Besides, it’s always fun to crank an amp loud

But then if you’re one of the guys that’s gone FRFR, you’re gunna hate the real amp cause you’ll have amp in the room sound!!

Lmmfao

I used to have amp in closet sound. I'd take a closet, line it with as many blankets and pillows as possible, and put a cab and SM57 in there, and record. Didn't have money for an ISO cab, there wasn't really anything as far as attenuators on the market, maybe the Marshall PowerBrake which wasn't ideal, and not cheap either. Had an old 65 Bassman, a JCM2204, etc I used that way and it was really all I could do to get the tones I wanted from the amps.

Recorded with a little Tascam 4 track too LOL. I think it had a delay/echo effect too, because I couldn't afford the 'pricey' Boss digital delay pedals like the DD-3

Good old days of real amps

I'd put a $1 on saying it hasn't cured your GAS entirely. Sure, its destroyed my interest in amps, cabs, and pedals, but no Axe device or genius emulation can replace the needful lust for a new guitar that catches your eye. Those roasted maple necks on the current Ernie Balls have me dangerously infatuated.
I have to say my GAS is at such a minimum & has been for a while.. there’s a few things that I feel like I need out of necessity. I’d like to replace the Martin D42 or HD28 I had, (I’m acoustic-less) and I’ve always wanted a National with a pickup. I had one of those Resolectrics, it was garbage. Sold it after a week, didn’t have the tone. Then if I start playing out again I’d need some power & perhaps a PA rig. I don’t really GAS for other guitars so much anymore.. I pretty much know what I like & that's what I have. I got the Strat I made myself exactly how I wanted, & the Severn.
With the Fractal, there is an amazing world of endless amps, cabs, drives & effects to get lost and creative in. I can tell ya one thing for sure, IMO it’s the single greatest piece of gear for guitar players on the planet.

I'd put a $1 on saying it hasn't cured your GAS entirely. Sure, its destroyed my interest in amps, cabs, and pedals, but no Axe device or genius emulation can replace the needful lust for a new guitar that catches your eye. Those roasted maple necks on the current Ernie Balls have me dangerously infatuated.

Oh yes. Forgot to add the disclaimer: this doesn’t apply to guitars lol

My GAS has completely moved to guitars. And I have a Splawn Quickrod, a 2 channel Mesa Triple Recto and a Marshall JCM800 and not one of them has been powered up in two or three years.

I really should sell them but they look so damned cool....at this point they are expensive dust collectors.

I have no GAS at all for these old-fashioned, big, heavy, hard to tame and uncontrollably loud devices.

But this is not an Axe-FX III vaccine; I started to eradicate that disease since the Axe-FX Standard. Long time ago.

Now I only wish for V-Guitar modelling, like the Roland VG-99 but with Fractal Audio quality. Then my GAS for guitars would also disappear.

Last edited:
I’ve always learned that a lot of amps sound pretty similar from playing Axe models

I previously thought owning a ton of Fender amps would be awesome, but, after trying like 30 different ones in the Axe, you can start to realize that many sound pretty close, and while you can have a favorite preference, you really don’t need all of them.

I could probably have 3 or 4 real world amps and cover everything I need, though it’s cool having lots of models.

Same with pedals, used to own tons of them, but didn’t realize many were the same circuit and such.

Axe, and this forum, taught me a lot about hardware, even though it’s essentially software, and as I gained more virtual gear, I stated doing more with less, stripping down and finding my own tones. Not spending hours reading reviews, searching Ebay etc for another pedal and such.

axefx is a pretty good GAS killer overall

Back
Top Bottom