Vibrato on a Les Paul?

iaresee

Administrator
Totally possible!

Picked this Duesenberg Les Trem II up for super cheap and popped it on the ye old Lester today. Works good! The spring has way more detune travel on it than it really needs to have but not a huge deal. Nice for those Neil Young solo moments without having to sully the guitar with a Bigsby.

IMG_3460.jpeg

Totally possible!

Picked this Duesenberg Les Trem II up for super cheap and popped it on the ye old Lester today. Works good! The spring has way more detune travel on it than it really needs to have but not a huge deal. Nice for those Neil Young solo moments without having to sully the guitar with a Bigsby.

View attachment 92510

Sweet! :)

That looks like a super fun upgrade for roughly $100, eh?

I think the robot tuners have to go though. String changes take for-ev-er with them.

Tronical kills me. I had so much hope, then I started reading reviews. Holy crap. The number of bad things I read on the reviews on their facebook page killed my interest. I had no idea they take a long time for string changes too on top of their terrible customer service.

Tronical kills me. I had so much hope, then I started reading reviews. Holy crap. The number of bad things I read on the reviews on their facebook page killed my interest. I had no idea they take a long time for string changes too on top of their terrible customer service.
I mean, they work. I like the ability to shift tunings. As long as you don't go too far out with the tunings they do retune pretty well. But they're no good in a noisy environment. And string changes take for-ev-er with them because you can't turn them by hand or with a winder. You have to use them to spin the strings on and off the posts. The battery also just barely lasts for the duration of the de-string, re-string process.

For the imposition they pose, I just don't get enough utlity out of them. I'm mostly in E standard tuning. So I'd rather some nice Schallers or something on it.

The good news is the Tronical stuff comes off without issue and can go back on pretty easily if I ever wanted to use it again.

No tuning issues with the wound strings on that bridge? Just for mental well being I'd probably have to install a roller bridge.

No tuning issues with the wound strings on that bridge? Just for mental well being I'd probably have to install a roller bridge.
The robo-tuner worked just fine. A little wiggle doesn’t slide the wound strings over the bridge knife edges much if at all. So far, so good. Maybe if I went all Crazy Horse with it it’d bind a bit. But that’s not really my style.

Roller bridges are necessary for tuning but in use they are a huge tone suck and add a moving part for the string energy to get past. I personally think a Les Paul is hardtail and that's just how it's best. However if you must they are a reasonable choice.

Back
Top Bottom