Vibrato effect

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
I love the Vibrato effect, even though I don't use it much. It instantly sets the mood, creating a vintage sound.

There's no dedicated Vibrato effect in the Axe-Fx / AX8 / FX8. Reason is that it can be created using the Chorus block. As there is no turnkey "Vibrato" type in that block, here's mine.

Mono, placed in series before the Amp. For stereo place behind the Amp, set LFO Phase to 90 and use a stereo Cab.

I like it as it is, but it probably can be improved.

Chorus type: Japan CE-2
Rate: 4.294
Tempo: none
LFO: Sine (try Triangle for a more spiky sound)
LFO Phase: 0
Depth: 50
Delay Time: 10.00
Voices: 2
Width: 0
Auto Depth: High
Phase Reverse: None
LFO2 Rate: 0.050
LFO2 Depth: 0
Spread: 0
Mix: 100
Low Cut: 20.00
High Cut: 8000
Drive: 3.33

Last edited:
Funny that you post this today. I was playing with the chorus block these days trying to emulate my boss vb-2 , which also has a nice latch unlatch mode plus a rising time function btw.
I found it works well also with a little bit of direct sound (10%/15%) and 6 voices, for a deeper effect

Last edited:
I love the vibrato effect! Because there isn't a dedicated block for it, I always forget such an effect exists. I'm a huge fan of Mastodon and they use vibrato effects a lot. I'll have to play around with this!

I'll try this yek- thanks. I still use my Boss VB-2 for this affect, in front of the Axe or amps, when needed. Love that pedal.

Domo arigato Mr. Vibrato... Domo!

Sounds really nice. My first "real" amp was a Fender Concert (brown). It had a vibrato, and I just loved that sound.

With the MIX on 100%, you might get better results by setting AUTO DEPTH to OFF and lowering DELAY TIME, thus avoiding some latency.

Yup, that works too. With these settings (Auto Depth off, Time 0.10) Depth will be usable only at very low settings, like 1.8%.
It sounds exactly like a Boss VB-2 this way.

Domo arigato Mr. Vibrato... Domo!

Sounds really nice. My first "real" amp was a Fender Concert (brown). It had a vibrato, and I just loved that sound.

You can recreate Fender's Brownface harmonic vibrato circuit using a couple of parallel filter blocks. It's a bit different creature compared to a true pitch bending vibrato. It's actually 1st order high and low pass filters level modulated 180 degrees out of phase with each other. Search the forum for "harmonic vibrato" and you'll find a few threads on setting it up. It's a very cool sound for sure. Sort of UniVibe meets tremolo.

You can recreate Fender's Brownface harmonic vibrato circuit using a couple of parallel filter blocks. It's a bit different creature compared to a true pitch bending vibrato. It's actually 1st order high and low pass filters level modulated 180 degrees out of phase with each other. Search the forum for "harmonic vibrato" and you'll find a few threads on setting it up. It's a very cool sound for sure. Sort of UniVibe meets tremolo.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/the-flint-tremolo-done-right.109107/

The crossover method is close, but the filters are too steep (4th order). The filter cut off frequencies in the original design are also not set the same. In the original 60's Fender circuit, they are 1st order filters. The low cut filter is at 636 Hz and the high cut filter is at 144 Hz. If you use the Hicut and Locut filters in parallel Null filter blocks instead, you'll get 1st order filters that sound more like the original. The Hicut filter in the filter block won't go all the way down to 144 Hz, but it's minimum of 200 Hz is close enough.

Here's a Brownface Pro with Harmonic Vibrato for reference (not my clip)

Here's my take with the parallel filter blocks:

First is just the Vibrato, medium speed, high depth. Second is with a nice dose of spring reverb out front for some drippy Surf goodness, fast speed, medium depth. Guitar is a stock late 90's USA Strat, bridge pup.

Here's the preset (Axe II XL on Q9.03): Harmonic Vibrato.syx

It's a very simple setup. Just a 6G4 Super model (brownface) into the factory Brown Super 2x12 IR.

hv1.JPG
hv2.JPG
hv3.JPG
hv4.JPG
hv5.JPG

Use the LFO1 rate control the vibrato speed. To adjust the depth, go into the modifier for each Filter block's Level control and adjust the MIN value. The further below 0dB you set it, the deeper the throb. Around -20 dB or so is pretty close to max depth on the amp.

Edit: Not sure why it attached the file twice, but they are the same.

Attachments

• Harmonic Vibrato.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Harmonic Vibrato.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
I love the Vibrato effect, even though I don't use it much. It instantly sets the mood, creating a vintage sound.

There's no dedicated Vibrato effect in the Axe-Fx / AX8 / FX8. Reason is that it can be created using the Chorus block. As there is no turnkey "Vibrato" type in that block, here's mine.

Mono, placed in series before the Amp. For stereo place behind the Amp, set LFO Phase to 90 and use a stereo Cab.

I like it as it is, but it probably can be improved.

Chorus type: Japan CE-2
Rate: 4.294
Tempo: none
LFO: Sine (try Triangle for a more spiky sound)
LFO Phase: 0
Depth: 50
Delay Time: 10.00
Voices: 2
Width: 0
Auto Depth: High
Phase Reverse: None
LFO2 Rate: 0.050
LFO2 Depth: 0
Spread: 0
Mix: 100
Low Cut: 20.00
High Cut: 8000
Drive: 3.33
And good to see all this :)

Here's a Brownface Pro with Harmonic Vibrato for reference (not my clip)

Here's my take with the parallel filter blocks:

First is just the Vibrato, medium speed, high depth. Second is with a nice dose of spring reverb out front for some drippy Surf goodness, fast speed, medium depth. Guitar is a stock late 90's USA Strat, bridge pup.

Here's the preset (Axe II XL on Q9.03): Harmonic Vibrato.syx

It's a very simple setup. Just a 6G4 Super model (brownface) into the factory Brown Super 2x12 IR.

View attachment 43865
View attachment 43866
View attachment 43867
View attachment 43868
View attachment 43869

Use the LFO1 rate control the vibrato speed. To adjust the depth, go into the modifier for each Filter block's Level control and adjust the MIN value. The further below 0dB you set it, the deeper the throb. Around -20 dB or so is pretty close to max depth on the amp.

Edit: Not sure why it attached the file twice, but they are the same.

And good to see all this :)
I love, the pictures

never feels quite right to me with two voices in the chorus block. i set the amp block to left only input and set the chorus to 180 degrees. so only one voice is heard.

Back
Top Bottom