VHT/Fryette

bleedthefreak

Inspired
I recently picked up a 2902 used for a decent price. I had a GT800fx and it just wasn't cutting it for use in my guitar cabs. I know the extra weight isn't a bonus by any means, but for the tube feel the power amp adds it is worth lugging it around. Really, I would be lugging my head around anyways so no big deal.

I am really pleased with what it has added for warmth. So many people are claiming SS is the way to go and it may be for some.

Replacing tubes I don't find to be a big tragedy either. It can be fun to experiment with different brands and compatibles. There is something about the physical
being of a tube that makes it what it is. I keep my power amp sims on also and it sounds great. Really good for hi gain amps sims as well.

I'm with you on this one,I'm waiting on the new Fryette XLII.
I tried an SS powr amp , did not like it, My Mesa 50/50(for me) works much better,, I 'd just like
something more neutral and less ...well "Mesa" sounding LOL!

I just bought and returned a 2/50/2. At first I compared it to my Matrix 1000 and liked it better. Then I started tweaking my patches to get it to sound more like what I liked about the Fryette. Utimately, I was indifferent between the two.

I just bought and returned a 2/50/2. At first I compared it to my Matrix 1000 and liked it better. Then I started tweaking my patches to get it to sound more like what I liked about the Fryette. Utimately, I was indifferent between the two.

I've heard that about the GT1000fx. Maybe down the line I'll give that a spin. I must say I am a fan of guitar cabs and moving air though. Having a stack behind a musician looks really nice too.

I own Matrix GT1000FX and VHT2502 and lately I just switched back from Matrix to VHT and I enjoy it..
Both amps sound great...but there is something magical in tone with VHT..
Especially when I use wah wah from Axe Fx..It's sound much more natural on VHT..

With VHT I keep my Global EQ flat and it sounds great..With Matrix I have to boost top and low end to get similar effect..which is not an ideal solution for phazing issues from excessive EQ usage etc..

Matrix has more tight low end/power,on the other hand....But power tubes sing beautifully..
These days I switched on my Axe Fx II to Recto Vintage amp sim...or whatever it's called, from my dual amp setup Soldano an Diezel (mono) and switched off power amp sims..Great brutal,tight sound on my VHT :)

I still wait for my RCF NX12SMA from US and will check it out,and compare to my power amp-cab situation..
I'm not sure if anything could sound better than my curren setup though :)

Mrpollack - what kind of cabs are you using?
Most of time I use my Cornford 2x12 V30 (I made it 1/3 open back)..Sometimes on bigger gigs Splawn 4x12.. Also lately my DV Mark C212V..liteweight great soundung vertical 2x12 cab !

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong guys !

Matrix sounds great ! I just say about some little details in tone.. I enjoy both amps very much..and change them depened on mood/day etc..
There are sometimes days when I prefer Matrix over VHT very much :)

Matrix has more tight low end/power,on the other hand....But power tubes sing beautifully..
These days I switched on my Axe Fx II to Recto Vintage amp sim...or whatever it's called, from my dual amp setup Soldano an Diezel (mono) and switched off power amp sims..Great brutal,tight sound on my VHT :)

Good way to put it. My matrix 800 def sounds tight on the low end. The Fryette puts out a really boomy low end in comparison.

Nice rig by the way.

If anybody wants to laugh and say I told ya so, now is your chance.

I blew out a Kt88 on channel B. OUCH! Replaced it and the amp had a nice little buzz to it.

I looked into it a little further and found the 100 Ohm 1 Watt balance resistors in the middle of the power tube board fried as well.
Luckily it was not during a show. I replaced them fairly easily and all is well. Lesson learned, check tubes after purchasing used.

Ahhh... the joys of buying second hand.

2012-09-26 19.05.17.jpg

I didn't care for the MATRIX 800FX........but the newer higher powered ones are COMPLETELY different to my ears. Whole different ball game really.

It just simply sound more like my Mesa 2:90 did. Full, thick, 3D, and loud. The 800FX wasn't "enough" for me. Also the newer amps seem to just have something different going on with them???

I went the other way- from the VHT to the Matrix.

I find I can tweak the patches for a bit more brightness and lower mid-range to make the Matrix sound pretty much identical to the VHT.
The Matrix sounds so good and is so much lighter that I sold the VHT.

I would agree about the power, I feel with every solid state amp you need a ton of power then a tube. My band just got a 1000 watt Matrix 1U and we are running it bridged and it seems like a total winner. A little extra headroom and plenty loud. We were using the power section of an old 2 channel dual rectifier and I don't miss anything after the switch. I also use the 1st version power amp Matrix put out and i agree there does seem to be some new mojo upgrade in the new model. I haven't done an apple to apples test yet, but when my other guitarist uses it with her line 6 HD500 there does seem to be some extra bigness to it. Please don't let this be the start of another purchase I can't afford hahahaha... oh the GAS lol.

I'm with the OP on this one. I have a Fryette 2902, tried the Matrix 800, and came back to the Fryette. While the Matrix was nice, the punch, harmonics and the sheer balls of the Fryette just could not be emulated by a SS amp.

FWIW, I've gone FRFR now (back problems and ease of use), but still have the Fryette and Mesa cabs sitting in my room.

I'm with the OP on this one. I have a Fryette 2902, tried the Matrix 800, and came back to the Fryette. While the Matrix was nice, the punch, harmonics and the sheer balls of the Fryette just could not be emulated by a SS amp.

FWIW, I've gone FRFR now (back problems and ease of use), but still have the Fryette and Mesa cabs sitting in my room.

what FRFR did you go to?

Good way to put it. My matrix 800 def sounds tight on the low end. The Fryette puts out a really boomy low end in comparison.

Nice rig by the way.

That's right..Matrix sounds cleared and punchy..As I said..in my case it depends on day and mood what I prefer..I seems that both amps are in the same league :)

I just received my RCF NS12SMA ! Running to tests and all of it...

jacek

I went the other way- from the VHT to the Matrix.

I find I can tweak the patches for a bit more brightness and lower mid-range to make the Matrix sound pretty much identical to the VHT.
The Matrix sounds so good and is so much lighter that I sold the VHT.
You were right about Matrix power amp.. After weeks of testing I've found the same.. I just sold my VHT2502 and play my Matrix sweet power amp...I'ts the best to my ears :)

I like my GT1000FX a lot but I'm really wanting to try out the Fryette LXII just for some variety really.

Back
Top Bottom