VHT/Fryette FatBottom Ur IR's

Just purchased this cab over the week and really like it. I'm shocked that there has not been any IR's of this cab, at least to my knowledge. So I figured I would make a few. The speakers are custom Eminence P50E's that were designed for Steve Fryette. They are supposed to be similar, but have there own gravy, to a V30.
I can say that in the room they seem to be smoother on the top end than v30's, maybe similar to a mesa v30. and the cab has a bunch of tight low end!!! Best stock cab I have played so far.
Hope you enjoy!

View attachment 22867
View attachment 22868
View attachment 22869
View attachment 22870
View attachment 22871
View attachment 22872
View attachment 22873
View attachment 22874

You are the man. I have not tried them yet but just the fact that you did this makes you the man. I have been asking for fomr VHT/Fryette IR's for a while now. I even asked silent underground, Red Wire and OH if there were plans for some IR of these cabs and pretty much it was not on their radar. Are these UR IR's?

Yes Ultra res! I know right...cant believe no big names have captured this cab before. This cab has such a small cult following it seems, those people that like them absolutely love them.

Yes Ultra res! I know right...cant believe no big names have captured this cab before. This cab has such a small cult following it seems, those people that like them absolutely love them.
VHT/Fryette is not getting much love in the axe at all. Other than the Deliverance that is. I know Cliff would have to buy one unless someone shipped it to him so I am not knocking him. It is just that compared to the some of the other big amp names VHT/Fryette has fallen by the way side.

First, good to have Fryette/VHT IRs.

How do you like them yourself, compared to the real cab?
TBH, they sound kind of nasal and lacking bottom end through my rig.

Yes I want to redo them at some point soon. I am using a Fryette 2/50/2 power amp for the captures. I have been trying to find a good setting for the pres. and depth. I agree Yek, there doesnt seem to be a whole lot of bottom end in these IR's. On previous IR's I made of other cabs, I ran the depth and press at noon, which I thought translated to too much bottom end. So taking that into account I figured I should lower the depth a bit to compensate for the fatbottom's, well...fat bottom!!! Like I said before it was a quick capture and I would like to do it again and be more scientific about it. Soon!
thanks

Reactions: yek
From an old post:

"Mr. Fryette has posted over at the Fryette users forum that the most neutral setting on the 2/90/2 is placing the depth completely off and the presence at 9 o'clock."

Don't know if this applies to the 2/50/2 as well.

From an old post:

"Mr. Fryette has posted over at the Fryette users forum that the most neutral setting on the 2/90/2 is placing the depth completely off and the presence at 9 o'clock."

Don't know if this applies to the 2/50/2 as well.

Thanks Yek!

I was unaware of this. Hopefully the 2/50/2 is similar.

Sorry for the delayed response. I recently purchased a sm7b mic that I played around a bit with micing the fatbottom, with good results. While I was messing around, I pulled the front cover off to get a better view of the mic position, and low and behold, the cab appears to have 2 different speakers in it. I was blown away at first, I was almost certain that all FB cabs came with the P50e's in them. I tried to pull the speakers out to have a look, but they are all glued in! Like I mean professionally glued in, to the point that I didnt want to even mess with it. The bottom 2 speakers are clearly eminence (you can tell from the bolt pattern). And the top 2 appear to be celestian's (bolt pattern is typical british bolt pattern). I tried googeling, but found little to know info. I tried emailing steve fryette, but have had no response. So the little info I did find was on an older cab that was not the fatbottom. Apparently some earlier vht cabs came equipped with a mix of some form of eminence speaker, and a celestian cl-80??? But this info was to being said about the FB. So, either I dont have a fatbottom cab. OR, I have some crazy Frankenstein FB cab.
But, back to the original question. Yes, once the weather warms up a bit (studio is above the garage) I will be shooting more IR's of "both" speakers in this cab.

Really want to capture this cab with different mics, but all I have right now is my sm57. Been looking to get a sm7b, I really seem to like that mic.

If you take out the transformer of your 57, the gnarly mid hump relaxes and stops covering up that top end. Removing the transformer means it can be ruined by phantom power so if your interface has phantom power across groups instead of individually it can be a problem, and it also reduces the output slightly but if you're wanting to put it in front of a screaming watt monster or a snare etc you'll be completely fine.

it gets you like 90% of the way to an sm7b as long as you didn't need the switches. I own both, and the modified 57 really is TOO close to an sm7b. I really want to try the Tab transformer in one some day as well

edit: damn, guess I got to you too late, but you should still try the mod out and compare. I still keep one or two stock 57's around, but I end up modding most of mine just for that smokey top you get

Know this is an old thread, just went looking for IRs of this cab and this was the only thing I found. These sound really good with the Deliverance, nice and tight for double tracking. Not meaning to necro bump, just wanted to say thanks man.

I about sent my drink through my nose when I read "necro bump" new one for me. Thanks to said necro bump I'll be checking these IR's out tonight!

Back
Top Bottom