VHT/Fryette 2/90/2 vs ENGL 850/100

GreatGreen

Power User
I've been hearing a lot of talk about ENGL's poweramps lately and was wondering if anybody has had experience with both VHT/Fryette's amps and ENGL's.

Personally, I own a 2/90/2 and have been curious about the ENGL poweramp lately, but there really are no ENGL dealers within driving distance. The main thing I'm most curious about are the differences in presence and depth controls of the amps.

I know it's a pretty specific question, but google hasn't really been able to tell me anything, so can anybody here shed some light on the relative differences in the presence and depth controls of the 2/90/2 and the 850/100?

Also, these two poweramps are considered pretty top-of-the-line in general, so feel free to use the thread to discuss either of these amps and how they sound with the Axe-Fx or any other preamps as well.

I'd spoken with Steve (Mr. Fryette) not too long ago about his amp (2/90/2 specifically) with respect to powering the A2. On all points, it's a terrific amp with a very flat, linear response. It's got enough headroom to allow for the "poweramp sim" to be ON on all your presets. It's a pretty non-colored amp for the purposes needed with the A2. I have one. I have no intention on going with SS just because everyone else is. I did my research, and the 2/90/2 is more than adequate for the job. Maybe even better (??) considering its tube roots and dynamics.

Other options which many seem to gravitating towards are the internally amplified FRFR monitors/speakers. But hey, if you wanna drive a cab you already have - or even go with passive FRFRs - the 2/90/2 will be gold.

IMHO YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom