VH4 amps - Bright switch

clarky

Axe-Master
has anyone found that the SAT switch don't work in the VH4 amps?

Last edited by a moderator:
It probably has to do with the circuitry of the amp. Sat switch does not work equally for all amps.

jeez... my bad... I'm such a div... lol..

not the Sat switch - that's fine
the Brit switch

(Brit/Bright Switch): Works here. Don't sound like much but when engaged there is more definition/clarity and sounds to tighten things up. Not a real boost in treble. Also the "Sat" switch works here as well.

Last edited:
(Brit/Bright Switch): Works here. Don't sound like much but when engaged there is more definition/clarity and sounds to tighten things up. Not a real boost in treble. Also the "Sat" switch works here as well.

hmmm......
I can hear the bright switch just about doing something to the 5153 amps [although it now seems to have a much lesser effect than before]
but on the VH4 amps?? I hear no change at all.. not even the lil' click when you turn it on..

hmmm......
I can hear the bright switch just about doing something to the 5153 amps [although it now seems to have a much lesser effect than before]
but on the VH4 amps?? I hear no change at all.. not even the lil' click when you turn it on..

The VH4 amps bright switch is working here, but it hardly noticeable. Again, probably because of the design of the amp. The bright cap value is really low on that amp, it is not surprising you cannot hear it. Turning the bright cap values up and/or changing the tone stack location makes it a bit more audible. It is the same as a 10.02 firmware Axe-fx I just compared it to. Same with 5153 amps, the sound the same (or at least pretty darn close) in regards to the bright cap here.

BRT swtich made the amp for me in 9.02. Maybe that's why I don't seem to get it to work fine with FW 10...

After reading this thread I thought I'd give it a shot since I always have the brt switch on in this model. So I turned the bright cap all the way up to 10000 pF and switched it on and off and there is the tiniest difference. In all the other amp models I use there is a huge difference if the bright cap is set that high and in the vh4 it's barely audible. Now whether that is meant to happen I don't know, but that's definitely what's happening.

Something definitely is changing because with switching it on and off with the gain way up there is more audible noise with the bright switch ON. Again though barely anything happens at all in regards to audible difference when playing.

I've always found the bright cap to be a very interesting control. Applied subtly, it gives humbuckers a kind of trebly slickness you usually only find in single coils. From there, turning the control up further will overdrive things and give you more distortion in the mid-high part of the spectrum.

With high gain amps, I've always used it as mainly a clarity control. I lower the value as much as I can, then slowly bring it up until each string is very clearly defined and the mush is gone. Personally I've never really maxed it out and used it as another drive control. Maybe I should try that and see what happens.

The VH4 amps bright switch is working here, but it hardly noticeable. Again, probably because of the design of the amp. The bright cap value is really low on that amp, it is not surprising you cannot hear it. Turning the bright cap values up and/or changing the tone stack location makes it a bit more audible. It is the same as a 10.02 firmware Axe-fx I just compared it to. Same with 5153 amps, the sound the same (or at least pretty darn close) in regards to the bright cap here.

I created my main presets in 9.02 [I think], and back then the bright switch was pretty noticeable with the VH4
I guess when I moved to 10.0 and up, with each upgrade I did the usual 'change amp, change back and reapply my settings [brit / boost / sat / eq page etc] that would have been defaulted by the reset..
so if there was a change in the behaviour of the bright switch I guess I've just not noticed until now [when playing around with the re-MIMIC'd VH4ch3 and ch4]..

as previously pointed out, some amps seriously benefit from the brit switch..
it fries the highs a little harder and adds definition..

maybe I'll try pushing the presence and eq page 2k and 4k band see if that puts the edge back..
also I'll maybe try some different cab types..
now that the voicing is a little different, maybe there are other cabs types that are better suited than my current choices..

Brit switch???? Why not just use the Brit amps :D

Brits ain't got nuthin' on the Krauts, m'man :D

FWIW, as mentioned before, I find a tremendous amount of useful models in the A2. But of all the wondrous amps on tap, they're not matching the Diezels in my humble opinion by any stretch. But that's not to say what is labeled a Diezel is bad, it's just not the same as a real Diezel.

Flame suit donned.

As much as the V3 and V4 had been improved since Cliff re-done the mimic process in V.10.06, definitely v.9.02 (with these particular models) sounded/worked better (IMO). However I'm not giving up on this amp model yet. I believe it can get back to V.9.02 with some time spent working it.

I was just informed and looked myself, there is no bright switch on ch 3 and 4 of the VH4. Channel 2 does but the models bright switch works fine on it.

Back
Top Bottom