VH Tribute…thoughts?

If they did this I really hope all members, through all four iterations of the band, would be involved and many different guitarists. Having just one guy be Ed throughout would feel very wrong to me. Like off putting. Even though Thorn would do amazing for the entire show, I feel like he’d be the first to say he would want to be involved but not be Ed for the entirety. But all we can do is guess at this point, although I really hope it happens. Wolfgang is fantastic and it’d be awesome if Mammouth opened. Ed was over the moon about his sons ability and it’d be the most fitting tribute

I think the coolest way to do it would be to involve many people, switching off, kind of like the All Star game in baseball. And feature the former members in just a few select songs only, so as to give the most musicians an opportunity to be a part of it, because personally I wouldn't want to hear Dave, Sammy, or Gary for the whole show. If Mike was up for it, I'd say have him play on just a few songs, picking the ones where his harmony is most important, because I'm sure they could find plenty of people who can cover Mike's parts quite well, including his tone. And that's assuming that Mike can still hit those notes. Same for drums, and even get some piano/key players involved. Do a limited-dates, theater tour, perhaps even rotating guest players along the way, and release a DVD. Make it a big event, with the potential for lots of people to see it live.

I think the coolest way to do it would be to involve many people, switching off, kind of like the All Star game in baseball. And feature the former members in just a few select songs only, so as to give the most musicians an opportunity to be a part of it, because personally I wouldn't want to hear Dave, Sammy, or Gary for the whole show. If Mike was up for it, I'd say have him play on just a few songs, picking the ones where his harmony is most important, because I'm sure they could find plenty of people who can cover Mike's parts quite well, including his tone. And that's assuming that Mike can still hit those notes. Same for drums, and even get some piano/key players involved. Do a limited-dates, theater tour, perhaps even rotating guest players along the way, and release a DVD. Make it a big event, with the potential for lots of people to see it live.
That was what I was getting at with my Concert For George post.

Hell yeah. Actually +1 for Nuno. That boy has the chops. And when they get half way into You Really Got me they can break into Cabo Wabo then half way into that song they break into He Man Woman Hater ha. Gary Cherone could do few of the songs it'd complete the circle in ways.

Michael Star on Voachels and Russ Parrish on guitar, Michael Anthony on Bass and Alex on Drums! If it has to be done it's the only way it would even sound close.
Yep. Russ & Pete Thorn are the only 2 guys I've heard (I'm sure there's others) who can definitely cop Eddie's tone, feel & chops! Especially Thorn. He's a total gear nerd. Nuno would sound like Nuno, same for Satch.

Satchel (Russ Parrish) from Steel Panther would be a solid choice. Before Steel Panther got huge, when they were still Metal Skool, they regularly did a VH tribute called Atomic Punks. Saw them a handful of times. Russ can play all of it, no problem.

Last edited:
I think the only way you could do justice to EVH is a Freddie Mercury style tribute concert. House band of AVH, Wolfie, MA, DLR and SH perhaps (rotating for given songs) and then a whole host of either singers and guitarists who've been influenced or want to be involved. I'm pretty sure most "name" players out there would jump at the chance to pay respects and show how much of an influence he was. Sure they can do a charity angle as well (Mr. Holland's Opus etc).

Yep. Russ & Pete Thorn are the only 2 guys I've heard (I'm sure there's others) who can definitely cop Eddie's tone, feel & chops! Especially Thorn. He's a total gear nerd. Nuno would sound like Nuno, same for Satch.
Agreed! But I think Russ pulls off the look a little better than Pete does. Michael does DLR better than DLR so from a production standpoint it would be a much better sounding rendition of a tribute!

Back
Top Bottom