VH Pitch on albums

Cooldrewb

Inspired
I have my guitar tuned down a half step but it still seems a little off. I read somewhere on this forum that there is something I can in the pitch block but now I can't find it. Does anyone know what I can do in the pitch block to match what is on the album? I notice this with AC\DC as well. They something funky in there tuning when Bon was in the band.

Some of the older AC DC albums were tuned slightly below standard 440. You can find 440 versions of their songs on youtube or you can manually pitch their songs back up using various programs. Otherwise you need to tune down by ear.

Doesn't EV tune down a half step, then tune to the G?
And someone else did it too.. Hendrix maybe

or was he flattening the B

Last edited:
"Most Van Halen songs are a simple half step down"

Most of the time, yes, but there were songs where they didn't tune properly they just tuned the bass to the guitar, which was off already.

Some of the older AC DC albums were tuned slightly below standard 440. You can find 440 versions of their songs on youtube or you can manually pitch their songs back up using various programs. Otherwise you need to tune down by ear.
Indeed... Must be some kind of world record in slight off tuning on each song on Let there be rock and Powerage :D

Ya, maybe but when I play with isolated tracks I can really hear it. If I cut out the guitar and just leave the rest of the band it is not at noticeable.

I'd venture to guess they would tune at the beginning of the day and then to each other as the day progressed. Not as picky back then.

I have my guitar tuned down a half step but it still seems a little off. I read somewhere on this forum that there is something I can in the pitch block but now I can't find it. Does anyone know what I can do in the pitch block to match what is on the album? I notice this with AC\DC as well. They something funky in there tuning when Bon was in the band.
To answer your question, yes. Try the Detune mode of the Pitch block.

I dunno if anyone here was on the HRI forums back in the day, but one member, Lonnie, worked for Eddie for a short (very short) time. He posted Eddie’s offsets at one point. I guess when Lonnie showed up for the first time, EVH expected him to know this stuff right away and threw a shit fit when he didn’t.

Doesn't EV tune down a half step, then tune to the G?
And someone else did it too.. Hendrix maybe

or was he flattening the B

I was playing around with Running With The Devil.. I think this is about right. Depending on the scale length of the guitar & general intonation of guitars. I tuned to the opening bass BOMP BOMP to establish the Low E string. Tuned everything to that. Then tuned D/G/B strings to open G major. It is pretty close but still not perfect. At no point did I use a tuner though.

I wish we could save Tuner settings like this. It would be awesome be able to save different tuner settings that you bring up a drop down rather than have to play or remember the different tunings.

I wish we could save Tuner settings like this. It would be awesome be able to save different tuner settings that you bring up a drop down rather than have to play or remember the different tunings.
Well... you can with the VC in a way. If you create a preset for the song with the pitch block set they way you want it... or is that not what you are talking about?
I have a number of these in my set where My guitar drop tunes when I select the preset...

Back
Top Bottom