AFIII VH Modded Marshall

can ya share those PT presets?

I have to double check them since I often make changes to presets that I download or recreate.
My headphones broke yesterday and the new one is arriving on Friday. I can post them on the weekend.

{ I have been using headphones in the last few months, since one of my CLRs (amp module) had to be sent back to service in February and who knows when they will fix it }

Last edited:
I have to double check them since I often make changes to presets that I download or recreate.
My headphones broke yesterday and the new one is arriving on Friday. I can post them on the weekend.

{ I have been using headphones in the last few months, since one of my CLRs (amp module) had to be sent back to service in February and who knows when they will fix it }
no rush bro,what headphones did you bought?

Same as I have been using in the last 15 years. Beyerdynamic TD 770 Pro. I got used to its tone.
ahh ok,i`v been thinking to buy those headphones,i think im going to order them next month.,did you get the 80 or 250 ohm?

Last edited:
Sounds great. Try changing the tube type to 6CA7s, which would be more academically "correct". Eddie sought out Sylvania 6CA7s, reportedly,
to such an extent that "allegedly" he had a standing policy of buying all of them that came to his attention. Which I can't confirm as being the truth, but he could certainly afford to do that.

I was just watching Tim Pierce's video and they mentioned Eddie used 6EA7. I don't know how different could they sound. I wonder if Cliff could add those :)

Roland DC-30 Chorus would be great as well!

I saw that video, but I missed the "E" reference. That said, I don't think that's correct ? Both John Suhr and Dave Friedman say that they were 6CA7 tubes ..., which I believe are a direct replacement for EL-34's ....

If you search "Eddie 6EA7 Tubes" you barely get any hits ....

If you search "Eddie 6CA7 Tubes" and you get pages and pages ....

The renewed attention for vintage Marshall tones coincides with my own search / quest.

I've been experimenting in the past weeks, before Pete Thorn's video, to see if I could use the Plexi 6550 as a single amp solution, using just the guitar's Volume knob for everything. To replace my current "4 amps/scenes method": Clean (Shiva Clean) - Dirty - Rock - Heavy (Shiva Lead).

The reason is that I'm kind of growing tired of the "perfect" guitar tones which seem prevalent in so many rock recordings these days. EQ-'d to death. The Friedman sound: thick, smooth, balanced. Frankly, a bit boring.

I like imperfect guitar tones. I like warts, and dips, and peaks. Clipping, woofy, noisy and bold. Things that make a guitar sound distinguish itself from others. Sounds that let you still hear the guitar coming through instead of only amp gain. Where you can hear the difference between a single coil and a humbucker.

The old Marshalls deliver this. Raw and honest.

Are you talkin' about this video? What a fantastic sound!

I saw that video, but I missed the "E" reference. That said, I don't think that's correct ? Both John Suhr and Dave Friedman say that they were 6CA7 tubes ..., which I believe are a direct replacement for EL-34's ....

If you search "Eddie 6EA7 Tubes" you barely get any hits ....

If you search "Eddie 6CA7 Tubes" and you get pages and pages ....

EVH was notorious for hoarding Sylvannia 6CA7 tubes for his Marshall SLP. Whenever he found some he would buy all the dealer had even if he had to badger them incessantly.

If you really want to pull the string on Marshall amp mods by Jose, check out this video that shows and explains all those mods.

EVH was notorious for hoarding Sylvannia 6CA7 tubes for his Marshall SLP. Whenever he found some he would buy all the dealer had even if he had to badger them incessantly.

If you really want to pull the string on Marshall amp mods by Jose, check out this video that shows and explains all those mods.

This was a very useful video! It gave me an epiphany! It sounds even better now :D

As you may have noticed I have been chasing VH tones. I allways used the Plexi 100w as a starting point.
This time I tried to dig into the Plexi 6550.

absolutely killer! Preset please🙏🏼 The video you mention doing would be cool as well!

Back
Top Bottom