VH content. Engineer Brian Kehew & Warner Bros vault

There's a part 2. More great stuff here. Interesting bit about likely predecessor to Eddie's taped up guitars. Chip Kinman of the Dills. Punk band that Van Halen would check out before they made it big

Last edited:
I was going to start a thread on the Sunset Sound YouTube video, but glad to see one's been done. Thanks @Chewie5150

In one of these videos they go over Ed's non-mod/mod, which according Brian Kehew, was really the Variac turned down to 90% BUT.......the re-biasing of the tubes with the Variac. It was the first time I'd heard this but it makes perfect sense. I used to regularly browse the Vintage Amp forum at Vic's Mojave Amps website and Ed's gear was discussed in painstaking detail and of course it's all subject to interpretation. Any time I played with the Variac in my AxeFx3 I got a more compressed but less lively tone. Today I upped the bias to 0.7 (default is 0.6) and I noticed the difference. I'm not sure if I should be using the Grid Bias or the P IBias Excursion. I've tried both. At first glance I liked the Grid Bias at 0.7. It basically got me back to ground zero (100% on the variac) but with some added compression which translated in feel or playability. Anyway, it was sort of an 'aha' moment for me.

All of these new YT videos/audios that are coming out have been great. I especially love the old ones before they were signed. Ed's playing seemed more aggressive without the tapping. It's more impressive to me and really drives home the point of how special of player Eddie Van Halen is.

Back
Top Bottom