VG-99 output settings.

rcknrllmn

For those of you using the VG-99 in front of the Axe-FX, what output setting do you use?
Also is there anything else in the signal chain of the VG-99 that you use, such as the mixer to control volume, etc?
Thanks

Last edited:
If you are using the VG-99 for synth/MIDI guitar work it would be better to run it in parallel with the Axe using an A/B box and separate volume pedals in front of both devices.

If you are wanting to use Axe's effects on your VG patches, put the VG in the Axe effects loop so you can remove it as needed.

The VG-99 does a lot of less than desirable things to a guitar signal. Putting it in line with your Axe is (to me) a really bad idea.

Thanks for the reply.
It seems to me I read somewhere where some were using the VG for guitar modeling only & using the AXE-FX for amp sims &fx.
I just was curious how they where set up to run together.

It seems to me I read somewhere where some were using the VG for guitar modeling only & using the AXE-FX for amp sims &fx.
I just was curious how they where set up to run together.

That's what I do. I run my VG-99 into input 2. I then place the FX loop as my first block with bypass set to thru in most cases. If I want to add a layer from my VG, I just set it parallel to my AXF chain, usually as the last block on an empty row. I also setup my VG presets in a couple different ways to make to most of the different signal chains. BTW, I still use my VG as a standalone rig on occasion. I can get away with using the front direct patch buttons, the ribbon controller, d-beam and a single FV-500. While it's not my Ultra, it's still damn good.

Hi!

I try input 2 for guitar modeling from vg99... but is very noisy the guitar sims with hi gain amps......how i can get less noisy?

Ax fx 2.

Thanks!

Try turning on the noise suppressor in the COSM guitar section. Don't turn it up. Just turn it on and set it to "0". At a 0 setting it reduces the noise without ruining not decay. Just try turning it on and off with it set to 0. Odd functionality, but it works. FWIW, I am now using input 1 right for my VG-99. I have a mixer block set to mono as my first block. I use the sub out of the VG because I can set the level internally and don't have to worry about a knob getting bumped and messing up my levels. I'm also looking at adding a GR55 which is why I'm trying to keep input 2 open. Hope that helps.

I always use the VG-99 as a front end into my Ultra. I only use pickup modeling, altered tunings, acoustic sims, sitar, etc. I never use the VG's amps.

I run the VG's Main Out jacks (1/4") left and right into the corresponding left and right rear number 1 inputs on the Ultra. This way, I can use the VG in "stereo" or mono. I can also set the left for an acoustic sim and the right for an electric, and process both independently in the Ultra. If you also send the Guitar Out jack of the VG into one of the Ultra's number 2 inputs, you can process the VG tones in stereo and your normal guitar indpendently at the same time, if you can give up your effects loop.

I keep the output knob on the VG at max and adjust its patches to barely light the Ultra’s meters when the Ultra input knob is set around 12 o'clock.

I've never found a need to use the COSM noise gate. I use the Ultra's gate.

My main VG patch is just a "through" for normal pickup operation. The noise it adds is negligible, even with substantial gain in the Ultra. The COSM pickups do have more hiss, but zero hum induced by external fields. The Ultra's gate works great for me. I guess I'm not "high gain" enough for the noise to be a problem.

Last edited:
With the AFXII you'll want to plug into the front input directly so that you get the benefit of the variable impedance. I run 2 cables from my guitar: the GK and a standard jack. Well worth the hassle IMO. That obviously isn't as important with the Std/Ultra.

You ought to give the noise gate in the COSM guitar section a try. It really does work well in that particular role.

I used to use the main outs with the volume on full, but I just figured going to the sub outs meant one less thing to worry about since the level is saved internally.

IMHO, YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom