Very OT: 4G vs 5G vs who cares?

Hi Stratman68,

First post! I have had Xfinity Mobile for the past year or so and I'm very happy with it. I'm still on the 4G plan which is ~$14.xx net / month here in Northern California. They have been trying to push the 5G plan but I don't have and I'm not interested in upgrading to a 5G capable phone. Do they not have the option to sign up for the 4G plan anymore?

Hi BFD,
That's good news! Yes they still offer 4G &5G. Thing is, I need a new phone because my perfect $875 LG6 they will not except?
So I started this thread just to get an idea about the tech. And boy did I. Great info in this thread.
I was looking at the Samsung phones. A51 is 4G and $399. The least expensive 5G phone is $699.00. Hence this thread.
I am very happy with 4g, 3G, 2g, 1G, it's all fast enough my PHONE needs.
Since this thread I have decided to get the 4G Samsung A51 for $399. I'll just pay for it in full and begin enjoying the lower bill.
Thanks very much for the info!
Stratman68

Hi BFD,
That's good news! Yes they still offer 4G &5G. Thing is, I need a new phone because my perfect $875 LG6 they will not except?
So I started this thread just to get an idea about the tech. And boy did I. Great info in this thread.
I was looking at the Samsung phones. A51 is 4G and $399. The least expensive 5G phone is $699.00. Hence this thread.
I am very happy with 4g, 3G, 2g, 1G, it's all fast enough my PHONE needs.
Since this thread I have decided to get the 4G Samsung A51 for $399. I'll just pay for it in full and begin enjoying the lower bill.
Thanks very much for the info!
Stratman68

Install the Xfinity Mobile app once you are all signed up and you should be good to go. I have an iPhone but it should be the same on Android as well. You can monitor your data usage from within the app. I believe they require you to have a credit card on file (or have autopay turned on, I don't remember now).

Install the Xfinity Mobile app once you are all signed up and you should be good to go. I have an iPhone but it should be the same on Android as well. You can monitor your data usage from within the app. I believe they require you to have a credit card on file (or have autopay turned on, I don't remember now).
Thanks- I already have autopay on for TV\Internet with xfinity................

Just need to add this.
I switched to xfinity mobile from Verizon 11/17. I have had NO service. Maybe the phone they sent me is no good. But the tech support is the worst I have ever experienced since cell phone service began. I am highly compromised with reference to the virus. Health issues. I have had no phone service since they "activated?" this phone yesterday (Tuesday) . I am now waiting again for support.
The last 2 there was a "language" issue. This s**ks

So, not being a youngster or a smartphone mega user I have to wonder about 5G?
I am switching to infinity mobile and will need a new phone only because my LG6 is not acceptable to xfinity. But my monthly bill will go from $55.00 a month to $16.70-verified by xfinity-that's the 1GB plan and includes all fees and tax's. quite a difference. With Verizon I have the 2GB plan and have NEVER, EVER goteen near 1/2 GB.
So, 5G would seem heavy duty overkill for me. The phones cost 2 to 3X as much and most experts (I read) say even 4G will gain some speed. 4G is NOT going away (not for a while anyhow)
But what more speed do I need for phone calls and text-It's instantaneous NOW.
Wow, it seems you have quite expensive plans there!
Here in Italy I pay 5€ a month for a 30GB plan and unlimited calls and SMS, and you can also get 100GB for around 10€ a month

Heck, I pay about $160/mo.

I heard there are some places in Italy that are looking for people to move in, and will sell you a place for a euro, provided you fix it up and live there. Parlo Italiano un po. Ho un po di soldi por ristrutturare una casa....

I heard there are some places in Italy that are looking for people to move in, and will sell you a place for a euro, provided you fix it up and live there. Parlo Italiano un po. Ho un po di soldi por ristrutturare una casa....
I remember hearing that also Joe. My parents, rest their souls, were from Naples area. Yet I have never been there. My bad for sure!

Yes, one of those places is my town in Sicily, Bivona. If you're really interested I can help you eventually. And maybe also make a band together if you move here ;)

PS: with 160$/mo you can rent a small house here

Last edited:
Just thought I would report back. The service just gets worse. In Florida, you CANNOT call an xfinity store directly? Seriously?
You get connected to Comcast and they connect you to xfinity mobile support where you then take a long nap while waiting for someone to answer the call. Gosh, so glad I switched.
I do have a couple weeks to return the phone and go back to Verizon.
Capitalism? Uh, OK.

Last edited:
FWIW, in my experience, Verizon is expensive but very competent, and around here (Boston area) their coverage and reliability is very good.
They have the best coverage in AZ, but CS is so bad I would rather have no phone than have a Verizon phone. I was happy with Alltel before Verizon assimilated them.

FWIW, in my experience, Verizon is expensive but very competent, and around here (Boston area) their coverage and reliability is very good.
My major issue with Verizon is the $$. $57.00 a month and I do not watch movies, download music, etc, etc. That's what my laptop, tablet and desktop are for. So I can save $40 a month and still use (the same) Verizon's network. But Phone service is exactly the same for me. As far as calls, text, clarity and the internet is the same. Tested it just for comparison.
But I am still undecided but I have plenty of time. I did try to save $$$ and bought one of the cheaper samsung phones. It's OK but the screen sucks as far as touch response. I tried every setting.. An xfinity tech told me I need either Gorilla glass or dragon if I want a more responsive touch? I will look into that.
I have an appointment at an xfinity store on Saturday to discuss all my annoyances (well they don't know that part)
I will do my homework before then

OK. So the tech that told me about the "better" glass is in Asia. Seems in Asia Dragontail(?) and Gorilla glass are wide spread. Here, not so much, but there are some.
I should add that my LG6, which I have had for many years, does NOT have this glass but I never had an issue with the touch response.

Back
Top Bottom