Very odd problem

Sorry you're having this problem, but I have to say, I think problems with Fractal gear are pretty rare. Any gear can have issues, regardless of the tech.

Have you called support?

Look at it from my perspective - this is the second time I've had to send this thing in for repairs over a 6 month period. So yeah, from my perspective, there's a quality issue.

It's a defective input/phones board. It's a simple replacement. Support will send you one which would be a lot easier than sending the whole unit in.

It's a defective input/phones board. It's a simple replacement. Support will send you one which would be a lot easier than sending the whole unit in.
Support sent me an RMA and I just dropped it off at UPS. They didn't mention this when I contacted them, otherwise I'd have opted for this.

such a bummer that your having issues - hope that the fix Cliff has suggested does the trick for you. Please let us know, just in case it happens to anyone else.

On the other side of it - this thread highlights as others have the care that Fractal shows it’s customers and while I hope I never have any issues, it’s reassuring to know that if I do, there are people behind the product that seem to really care. #customerforlife

Last edited:
These kinds of issues can happen and it’s one of the reasons I invested in a breakout panel from BTPA. Every point of physical interaction is a possible point of failure someday even if it’s rated for industry standards of like 10million plug/unplug actions (making this number up, but there is probably some large number).

I have had my axe almost a year and only used the input jacks on the unit 3 times while the breakout panel of course gets used almost every day. TBH the usb connection is my main worry and the main reason I got the custom panel in the first place.

These kinds of issues can happen and it’s one of the reasons I invested in a breakout panel from BTPA. Every point of physical interaction is a possible point of failure someday even if it’s rated for industry standards of like 10million plug/unplug actions (making this number up, but there is probably some large number).

I have had my axe almost a year and only used the input jacks on the unit 3 times while the breakout panel of course gets used almost every day. TBH the usb connection is my main worry and the main reason I got the custom panel in the first place.
I like the breakout panel idea!

I like the breakout panel idea!
If you gig at all you'll appreciate having all your access on the front of your rack, too.

Until you experience it, you don't realize how much of a genius "hack" it is.

I have not needed to remove the rear rack lid for my Axe Fx III (or the II before that) for years except to occasionally change how things are plugged in.

I once had a problem with a car (an Opel). Under certain circumstances, the front right wheel drive shaft slipped out of its place and left the car unable to move. No matter what I did, the car needed to be towed for service. This happened twice in 12 months.

Pretty disappointing, right? Turned out it was a defective unit, and perhaps the drive shaft needed to be replaced rather than just screwed down in place twice.

Did I lost my faith in the car manufacturer? No, I had another Opel before and never had a problem. It was just bad luck.

I’m sure the replacement board Cliff suggested will solve your problem once and for all.

I once had a problem with a car (an Opel). Under certain circumstances, the front right wheel drive shaft slipped out of its place and left the car unable to move. No matter what I did, the car needed to be towed for service. This happened twice in 12 months.

Pretty disappointing, right? Turned out it was a defective unit, and perhaps the drive shaft needed to be replaced rather than just screwed down in place twice.

Did I lost my faith in the car manufacturer? No, I had another Opel before and never had a problem. It was just bad luck.

I’m sure the replacement board Cliff suggested will solve your problem once and for all.
The support today was absolutely first-rate! Support emailed & said the part will be sent in tomorrow's mail. They also said that if I need help, they'll be glad to talk me through the procedure. You just can't top that!

That's the cable from the mainboard to the front panel. It isn't seated all the way.

Who is helping you in support? They need a talking to.
Kevin. But in all fairness, he had me unplug the cable from the mainboard & power up. When it did the same thing, he said it needed to be sent in.

Back
Top Bottom