Very limited soundcheck time - what do you do?

guys
rather than spend the minutes that are apparently in short supply screwing with the Axe [given that before you gig your live tones should be nailed], don't you think the time would be better spent getting the stage monitoring as good as possible so you get a half decent sound on stage.. as a band that is...

cos if you ain't hearing each other well on stage..
and if the band's overall tone isn't gluing up nice,
your gig will be an uphill struggle no matter what your Axe's EQ settings are..

Hmm, I wouldn't want to change all my presets with the high and lowcuts, simply because I use the same presets for recording purposes (I took almost a week to make them sound large and fat in stereo, but still have perfect mono compat).
Is there any downside in using the global EQ over the cab settings?

Very easy to copy the presets to a new location, and make the adjustments on one for FOH, leave the other for recording. I find that I run Reverb and Delay levels differently for recording than I would for FOH. Sometimes a wetter mix for recording sounds fine, but can get mushy in a FOH setting.

guys
rather than spend the minutes that are apparently in short supply screwing with the Axe [given that before you gig your live tones should be nailed].

Based on his posts sounds like it is not 100% nailed. Sounds like he has it pretty close to what he wants but leans on sound guy to do the rest. I do sound check a lot like what you have described but I don't even worry about my leads cause I know that is alright. I just run a verse a d chorus to make sure the monitors are good and FOH has solid signal from everyone

Based on his posts sounds like it is not 100% nailed. Sounds like he has it pretty close to what he wants but leans on sound guy to do the rest. I do sound check a lot like what you have described but I don't even worry about my leads cause I know that is alright. I just run a verse a d chorus to make sure the monitors are good and FOH has solid signal from everyone

my first personal job after power-up on stage is to set my poweramp level roughly between 1/2 and 2/3
any minor eq tweaks for the room I'll do now whilst everyone else is still setting up [usually drums and keys]
we then have our individual sound checks
I know the differential levels between my rhythm and lead are good..
so when we play as a band I'll make a minor tweak on my volume to where I think my rhythm tone works...
then when I cut a bit of a solo it's a sort of "cross the t's and dot the i's" thing..
if my lead sits a little proud or a little low it makes a good gauge for that last little knick on the volume control..
then I know I'm in

EDIT: I know I'm in cos I nail all my tones at gig volume in a rehearsal studio first..
then during a band rehearsal [bearing in mind that we only have the one rehearsal before a tour] I'll make any minor refinements [mostly levels related]..
then I tour...
these presets will be my live presets for good.. they are sacred and will no longer be goofed with..
once the Axe is set, it stays like it... no more goofing around....

in the event that I have a eureka moment and redesign my presets..
for levels and EQ, I'll use my existing live presets as a reference..
do the whole 'gig volume dial-in' thing again... etc..
but... this is rare...

Last edited:
It's always a consideration to have a 1st song specifically designed to help everyone, including the FOH & Monitor mixer(s), get their bearings, adjust settings and just get over that technical hump early in the set so you can proceed to kick butt for the remainder. Sometimes, starting out with just a drum beat, adding bass, add guitar, keys, etc...or do an extended instrumental, with perhaps the singer doing a spoken bit of introduction to the audience. If you have good sounds on stage and competent people working the mixing desks, you can be up and flying in very little time, and if your "intro instrumental" is constructed properly, everybody will just think it is part of the regular show.

Or, you can go the complete opposite route, starting with a sparse song that features the lead vocal and perhaps one guitar, and slowly build the song by adding the rest of the instruments.

Point being that when everyone is stressed for time and the musicians and tech staff are in "trial by fire" mode, it is worth considering NOT coming out with all guns blazing in order to assist all involved with acclimating to the situation. This also assumes that all the musicians on stage are considerate and mindful, and have a clue what to do (understand what they are hearing) and can make quick, appropriate adjustments. But hey, in the end, it's rock and roll...let 'er RIP!! IMO, a great band will always be able to come across well even with a mediocre mix...but you don't want to make a habit of that.

Ignore this advice if you are a 3 piece band with a 4 piece drum kit...you don't NEED a soundcheck! (j/k) ;-)

Jim - our first song tends to be something easy-ish to steady the ship [so we're all settled and smiles, ready for the ugly shite in 13/16 that coming our way]... lmao..

Jim - our first song tends to be something easy-ish to steady the ship [so we're all settled and smiles, ready for the ugly shite in 13/16 that coming our way]... lmao..

Same here, something med up tempo, with lots of background vocals, but not a technical song.

Same here, something med up tempo, with lots of background vocals, but not a technical song.

totally..
something easy... don't have to be too impressive...
just energetic.. fun... get the crowd up and rocking...
and after that it's down to bizniz...

Clarky, I am with you I pretty much show up to a gig with axe totally ready. If I have done some tweaking and need sound check to finish making sure my levels are right but I have a situation like the OP where I know time is short and I Don't have time to properly fix it I won't use it and stick with what I know is set. At hate worrying about my patches during a set. I want to focus in killing it the best I can

Here in Denver being in an original band typically means little or no soundcheck and short set up time depending on where we are on the bill. All you can do is pack your stuff so that getting it up on stage and ready to play is reasonably efficient, have your sounds dialed in (cause you're not gonna be able to mess with it before you go on) and have yourself in the right head space. We usually have to get our stuff set up in a big rush between bands, do a quick line check.......and after the last mic is checked the sound guy says "you guys ready?" And it doesn't really matter if we're ready or not cause the house music goes off, the lights go down and we're expected to start playing. You have to be ready to put the big set up rush behind you and entertain. Unless something is really wrong I try not to think about the gear. I know my sound, I know I have it dialed in right and I can't control what happens at the front of house anyway, so I just try to focus on playing.

Hey guys,
Got a gig on friday, but the time planned in for soundcheck is extremely limited due to people still being at work and arriving late. Also, there's other bands playing there that night.

So I'd like to know; what do you guys do if you only have a couple of minutes time for sound check?
Thanks to the Axe, at least it doesn't take long for me to set up my gear.

And what do you do if the space on stage is very limited for all the equipment and there are multiple bands performing?

Greetings!

Hey Zwiebelchen (are you german? ;) )

would you mind telling us what kind of band you gig with on friday? Instruments, how many ppl and so on? Really depends on that.

Best possibility would be to bring a sound engineer with you who knows your sounds and how to bend them to mix well and knows what you need on monitors - yes this is the option that costs something (normally - not so many pro sound engineers that work for free) but the one that would help you the most.

Of course this isn't always possible even more so for friday if you have no one like that until now who you could call and ask.

So the thing that helps 100% and a lot:

DISCIPLINE within the band at soundcheck time. I experienced this with a band I'm mixing FoH and monitor (from FoH) for the last 3 years, started out with some chaos during soundcheck - now we can pull of a full check with linecheck, monitors and full band mix in 15 minutes - round about 24 channels, 6 people on stage (drums, 1x guitar, 1x bass, 1x keys, 1x dj, 3x mics).

Had to experience this the hard way again with my own band that I joined a year ago - I hadn't experienced this from the stage point of view and had to teach myself and the band (still regularly shouting "arms in the air guys"):

Normal checks are like this:

Sound guy asks for some one to play something, checks, does the playing persons monitor and ask the next person to play. Very often somebody isn't ready ("I still have to cable this or that") which results in jumping aroung to check different instruments in no particular order (which is not that bad if you know what you are doing) but results also in people onstage being distracted from soundcheck:

you already checked drums, bass and guitar, now the guitarist tells you he needs some bass and kick + snare on his monitor. what do you do? -> mr bassman could you please play again. turn level up until guitarist is satisfied. same with drums. The "drummer please play kick and snare again" takes time (as the drummer is distracted with something else of course and needs 15 seconds to start drumming).
this happens often and costs enormous times.

so the way the soundcheck should look like:

first person starts to check e.g. the drummer: while he plays the snare all band personnel on stage who need snare on their monitoring RAISE YOUR HAND with hand/finger pointing to the sky (and yes this should be done also if you still have to plug in a cable or whatsoever - no problem if you have to use both hands for a time but come back to show the engineer responsible for monitoring what you want from him = snare louder on your monitor. as soon as it's loud enough SHOW it - I just start waving cut-my-throat-style (sorry didn't know how to describe it better). Same goes for less volume for the current playing instrument on your monitors.

So this should be the way the band acts during the whole soundcheck - giving the sound engineer the possibility to adjust your monitoring while checking the respective instrument with out the need to jump back to someone else. This is what costs the most time during soundcheck in my experience (as long as the source sounds coming from stage are acceptable - which I take as more or less granted as you play Axe-FXs :p or at least let's say I'm optimistic in that regard :D )

After this linecheck including monitors I let the band play a busy part of one of their songs - a part where all instruments are played + every vocalist sings at best. AND this just for 20-60 seconds. Then they can tell me one at a time WHAT they want louder WHERE ;)

It's possible to cut changeover + soundcheck to 5-15 minutes for the house engineer AND make the band happy with their onstage (and offstage) sound.

but not when:
- you tell the tech 2 minutes before changeover that there will be two additional singers and a never-before-mentioned acoustic guitar
- you confront him with a never-before-mentioned in ear monitoring wish
- you are not trained enough to this onstage discipline....do not fear, this is just a matter of time and practice, you can get this down pretty fast
- the tech is a total lazy douchebag: in this cause - sorry but get rid of your illusion of a good sound onstage and from the PA and a lightning fast soundcheck

EDIT: Forgot to add:

It's really important that the venue/house engineer get's your stageplot + techrider beforehand - he has to know what you bring, what you want where from him. And by beforehand I mean at least 1-4 hours before soundchecking. He has to be able to arrange things so that setup, changeover and routing is fastest ans easiest to change.

Also if time is of the essence and you have to work with a unknown engineer try to get to him before getting on stage to setup and tell him what he has to expect.
There might be the possibility that he's a douchebag and doesn't care and won't listen anyway.... like said before - I'm sorry if that's the case and my deepest condolences....
If he's halfway professional he'll listen and might (and only might but hey, the chance is there) be able to use some of the information you give him to fasten the soundcheck. Tell him what kind of music you're doing (genre-wise, instruments wise), who does what vocals (clean vocals? screams? shouts?) if there are some peculiarities of your sound etc.pp.

Hope I could help, if you have any questions in particular or specific situations which you need advice for feel free to ask!

Last edited:
Here in Denver being in an original band typically means little or no soundcheck and short set up time depending on where we are on the bill. All you can do is pack your stuff so that getting it up on stage and ready to play is reasonably efficient, have your sounds dialed in (cause you're not gonna be able to mess with it before you go on) and have yourself in the right head space. We usually have to get our stuff set up in a big rush between bands, do a quick line check.......and after the last mic is checked the sound guy says "you guys ready?" And it doesn't really matter if we're ready or not cause the house music goes off, the lights go down and we're expected to start playing. You have to be ready to put the big set up rush behind you and entertain. Unless something is really wrong I try not to think about the gear. I know my sound, I know I have it dialed in right and I can't control what happens at the front of house anyway, so I just try to focus on playing.

yup. seeing this a lot with original music in the areas surrounding Boston also, especially with metal. Really sad to see. Cattle calls, with very little respect for the musicians. If you can shine and make a name for yourself under those conditions, my hat goes off to ya!

[ not to derail, but a quick recent story: played a real small pub recently, easy load in at the side door...except for the car that was blocking the access alley to the side door. Inquired as to whether the car could be moved, and guess what? The car belonged to the club owner. 5 minutes, we were told, and the car would be moved. Nope. Never moved the thing. So what should have been a 5 minute max load in wound up taking a lot longer as we all dragged our gear from the main road and 150 feet down the side alley in 15 degree cold. Thank you, sir. May I have another? This is and always has been the music business for the working stiff.]

I'm a new Axe user and I'm gigging with it for only the second time this weekend. I'm showing up late. We rarely get to sound check because we play events and weddings and there are normally other things going on so we can't make noise. I plugged in, did a line check, guessed at the volume I wanted out of my 12Qa, and went and caught a nap in the car. Zero stress. With my old rig, I'd be totally worried about how my rig was going to work in the room.

As I said, the boomyness is mostly at clean presets, probably because my main guitar has a lot of bass (using a Duesenberg Starplayer TV, which is a semi-hollowbody mixture of Jazz git and Les Paul).
But I'll probably set up a filter on my clean presets instead of rolling off the global EQ at the 250Hz band.
Unique, I have a Starplayer TV as well. I find it bass short as compared to my other semi-hollow, a Godin Flat Five X. I normally have to roll the tone a touch on it as compared to my other guitars.

Unique, I have a Starplayer TV as well. I find it bass short as compared to my other semi-hollow, a Godin Flat Five X. I normally have to roll the tone a touch on it as compared to my other guitars.
Compare to ES or 'real' hollowbodies, that is, but compared to a strat or paul, the bass can get pretty intense. What string gauges are you using?

@Katash:
thanks for your post and about your suggestions on "staging" the soundcheck. I think it requires a lot of discipline to do it like that (especially on the not technically educated other band members I have to deal with ;) ... i.e. "Hey Liz, I think the vocals sound a little sharp when you're singing the loud passages, you want some compressor in it?" - "What's a compressor?" - "Ah, never mind..." *dials it in*)

About your questions: We used to have a 4 ppl setup (rhythm git+voc, lead guitar, bass, drums), but are currently changing to a 5 ppl setup (vocals, lead git, bass, drums, key), so we haven't had the time to gig a lot lately. That's why I'm a little worried about the sound, especially due to only having like 10 minutes to build/cable up the rig and doing soundcheck.

@clarky:
The volume levels are and should be fine, as I dialed them in at rehearsals, which should be roughly the same as gig volume (we only got a cheap drumkit in the rehearsal room, which has an insanely loud and aggressive snare even when hitting it very soft; so we had to turn up the overall rehearsal levels much higher than we wanted in the first place), which will come in handy. But we always had the problem of boomyness on clean presets. It may be because of room acoustics, though (as I said, when auditioning the presets on room volume, they sound exceptional).
On the last gigs, the sound was great. I should have asked the sound guy what and if he adjusted anything, but I forgot about it afterwards.
Considering that there's not that much controls available on your average mixer, the amount of adjustments that are required to make it sound good are based on 3-4 band EQ settings.

Yes it requires discipline but you probably can achieve this!

In my band I also "have to deal with" mates with less experience on stage....so I try to guide them as much as possible.
We prepared multicores for keys (2x mono keys, 1x stereo samples, power supplys) for faster setup, the people with the fastest setup help with the more complex things to setup (singer helps drummer (because he knows a little drums, bassist helps keyboarder because he knows about that setup, I help the other guitarist).
Also while soundchecking (and still setting up some things) I frequently remind the band to still listen to the check and show the engineer when they want the instrument thats checking on their monitors ("guys hands in the air!"). It's a little bit of a strange feeling and I thought at the beginning I act silly but hey - it works, it fastens soundcheck and well..... it's plain more professional.

And: As a engineer I NEVER ask people performing on stage if they want a compressor! Exactly for that reason - if the vocals sound sharp on loud passages or plainly are too dynamic and tend to stand out too much when the singers singing loud I just use a compressor. Does what I want to achieve and the singer won't even realise and have to bother with what's a compressor.
So yes, the engineer should of course know what he's doing.... when to use compressors, gates and so on. He can of course only hear what's needed if you perform at soundcheck like you will do during the show:

- drummer playing LOUD - it's really common to lower gains on drum shells as soon as the show has started thanks to drummer hitting harder
- singer singing+shouting+whatever else he does and not just barely talking (unless the engineer already knows what will happen later)
- guitars + keys playing their loudest sound (for guitars I always and only need to hear the distorted rhythm tones - easier to EQ a clean than a distorted tone - the distorted rhythm is the measure of all things for guitars)

regarding all these things: it's important for a fast soundcheck to start playing/singing when the engineers requests it as fast as possible, continuous until he tells you to stop! It costs time: "mic check.......................hello......one two three.......miiiic cheeeeck...............is that enough?.........no?..........ok........well what can I say......... mic check...... wo-ohohoh...."

I think you get the idea :)

Multi band gigs .... terrible bloody things. Get up there, play the gig, let the sound crew sort it out as you play, take the money and go home ..... if you're gonna be herded on and off like a flock of sheep then just be sheep...... well maybe not quite to the point of crapping all over the stage...... wait until you're in the car park for that.

Back
Top Bottom