1. We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

Very different sound with headphones vs monitors

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tysonlt, Apr 11, 2019.

1. zenaxe

zenaxe
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Man, no mention of Blue yet? Those were like the standard response for several years after Cliff raved about them when they first hit the market.

2. OldSnail

OldSnail
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

If I believe Sonarworks, one that have the flattest frequencies response is the Shure SHR 1840.

3. 666was999

666was999
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Well, I don't trust too much in frequency sheets of headphones. Depending on their own shape they don't have to display a flat curve to get a flat curve to the ear of the listener. How good they achieve that target depends on the shape of the ear. The room inside the headphone and the ear make their own little environment. Long story short, the response on the paper is not necessary the reponse that you get with your own ears.
    It's different from free field listening.

4. electronpirate

electronpirate
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

This is me. Going on quite a few years with the Mo-Fi. I love them and they're pretty close to my CLR's.

I don't particularly like the Axe through the HS8's...they seem a bit boomy there (which I can dial out, but I take my CLR's as a better frame of reference.)

Edit, moved since this is really a headphones thread now.

zenaxe likes this.
  5. tysonlt

tysonlt
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Thanks, some awesome advice here!

erockomania likes this.
  6. unix-guy

unix-guy
    Expand Collapse
    Legend!

Same for me. I also felt like they sound better after a little break-in time.

7. #27 Piing, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Piing

Piing
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Me :)

They sound quite different to my Mackie HR824 monitors. However, the Audeze LCD-2 that I have been using for the last 7 years, accurately reflect what I hear through the monitors.

If I had never been spoiled by the Audeze, maybe I would accept the ATH-m50x as they are. But when comparing, they are in a superior league.

I've purchased the ATH-M50x for 2 reasons: 1) I wanted closed headphones 2) the ear-pads of the Audeze LCD-2 are rotten, for a second time, and the replacement is very expensive. But I have fixed it with cello tape and I am not using the Audio-Technica at all.

[​IMG]

8. manu68

manu68
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Playing with headphone can (in my opinion) not be exactly the same as playing with studio monitors and/or real cab.
    But modelers sounds great with headphones too.
    It is great to practice, for ambient music with reverbs, delay, .....We get the "special" FX very well.
    I have no problem to use my Axe FX II with Headphones.
    But I prefer playing with monitors/cabs on a regular basis. Personal taste.

9. gigawatt

gigawatt
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

The Blue Mo-Fi headphones mentioned above, I have the Blue Mix-Fi (same cans just renamed, why? NOBODY KNOWS). They're great headphones and have a built in switchable amplifier if you like it really loud. They sound great with the Axe III as they have a little roll off on the highs so they won't sound harsh or fuzzy. On the other hand they are somewhat heavy and the clamping force on the head is quite strong so wearing them for several hours can get uncomfortable. Price is around $300 but I found an open box deal on eBay for $129 and have had no issues.

The other set I have are open back Philips Fidelio X2. They sound awesome with professionally recorded music, very clear and detailed with a wide soundstage but when I used them with the Axe III it sounded like I was getting distortion, I'll try and check them out again and see if I can find why I'm getting distortion, (could be the preset?). They are much lighter than the Blue's and the pads are much more comfortable. Again $300 range but can be found much cheaper on the bay.

10. jarabuandi

jarabuandi
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Mate, I'll make it easy for you. Good headphones make a huge difference! When I bought the Axe years ago I had a pair of very, very cheap headphone. After some research e i settled on DT880. I've bee using them for years now. Having said I've learned not to create a present with headphones. I only use them for quite practice.

11. #31 gigawatt, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    gigawatt

gigawatt
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I just remembered the Sennheiser HD 650 have been price reduced by Massdrop renamed the HD 6XX revised with a nice dark blue color and a 6 ft cable. These are by far the best deal out there right now, I believe they are $220 so $100 off, fantastic cans. Check em out: https://www.bing.com/search?q=massdrop+hd+6xx&PC=U316&FORM=CHROMN

Oh again however, if you like it loud and don't want to disturb anyone go with the Blue Mix-Fi's (Mo-Fi's) as they are closed back cans and wont leak sound like the open back Sennheiser's. What the Senn's have are more detail and a wider soundstage. ;)

12. tysonlt

tysonlt
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Yeah I have decided just to use my monitors mainly for creating sounds. Noise is not such a problem where I am so I don’t really need to use cans.

13. gigawatt

gigawatt
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

o_O

14. PdotCdot

PdotCdot
    Expand Collapse
    New here

First time posting here but thought I throw my take on headphone use with the Axe and modellers in general. Nicer headphones do make a huge difference (open do a better job with all else being equal) but the real enjoyment when using headphones comes when you are able to add some spread across the stereo field. There are many ways to do this (delays, room reverbs, stereo room IRs, even a good subtle chorus, dual cabs and careful panning etc.) but however you go about it the closest you will get to "feeling" like the amp is moving air is to engage with the stereo field and the sense of space that comes with it. No preset that you create with headphones will work if you go about it like I described. Through a set of monitors, headphone presets that I've created with any modeller don't have the push and punch that is needed when your listening out loud in a room and the air is being moved in a million ways around your head.