Very bad news

I feel partly responsible which sucks because Alan is a friend.

I think if anything you brought a ton of awareness to the brand. I know I never heard of him til the Axe models...

you have to remember too that for amps in this price range I don’t think it’s an either or type of purchase proposition. By that I mean most people in the market for amps of this price range aren’t going to not buy one because they can get a model of it....

just a tough and diminishing market with a ton of great makers really crowding things, aging population of guitarist downsizing, et al, that is going to get tougher by the year.

I've been following Alan's posts on TGP. As I understand, based on his writing, he was fed up with the business side of selling amps. One or two years ago, he already stopped producing part of his line. Demand was sufficient, but endless negotiations with shops and chains wore him out. Not getting new CA amps is a pity, for sure, but he also wrote that he's much happier now, so good for him. Again, all based on his own posts.

I don't know if this is common or if I'm an outlier, but the Axe Fx actually led to me purchasing several amps including a Triptik (and a Morgan, and several Friedmans, damn what is wrong with me...). I probably never would have considered these amps without the exposure the Axe Fx gave them because there just aren't many places to try boutique amps locally.

I'd never heard of Carol Ann until I got into the FAS world, so I agree about bringing awareness to the brand. And if I was going to buy a real amp again, they'd certainly be on my short list. It's sad for the world of guitar amps, but as @yek said, if Alan is much happier now, then that's what really matters.

Real amps have been on the way out for a long time now. Maybe it won’t ever completely die, but I think it will go the way of record players. Physical space and resources are just a premium these days and the entire world is changing constantly.

As I’ve always said, I view the Axe-Fx as a project that will keep amps alive for future generations who won’t ever have the chance to play real ones. Finally someone is doing modeling right and most accurately and preserving the history forever.

Real amps have been on the way out for a long time now. Maybe it won’t ever completely die, but I think it will go the way of record players. Physical space and resources are just a premium these days and the entire world is changing constantly.

As I’ve always said, I view the Axe-Fx as a project that will keep amps alive for future generations who won’t ever have the chance to play real ones. Finally someone is doing modeling right and most accurately and preserving the history forever.

Wise and true.

Oh no! That's a shame! I always had it in the back of my mind to pick up a Tucana 3r, after liking the Axe model so much- nowhere to be found on reverb.

Too bad. Like others, Fractal introduced me to these amps. Unlike others, Fractal has completely cured my amp GAS. I have zero interest in buying another amp, which is very different from 10 years ago.

I don't know if this is common or if I'm an outlier, but the Axe Fx actually led to me purchasing several amps including a Triptik (and a Morgan, and several Friedmans, damn what is wrong with me...). I probably never would have considered these amps without the exposure the Axe Fx gave them because there just aren't many places to try boutique amps locally.

Absolutely 100% agree....

I know of at least two people that went out and purchased Carol-Ann amps after playing them on my II. I feel bad that Alan had to make such a decision. However, according to Yeks comments, he has stated he is much happier now and that is all that matters. Hopefully circumstances will change in the future and we will again see his brilliant visions come to fruition.

Felt the same way about building guitars.. Tough business It was real and it was fun but it was not real fun..
Built amps for 3 years before that in production line fashion most of those were purchased from over seas..
Glad to hear he got employed elsewhere and is much happier life is too short....

Sad news. Hope the best for Alan. I have to say, his Carol-Ann models in the Axe-Fx III are my favorite models in there and if I ever was going to buy another amplifier, it would probably be one of his.

I bought a Two-Rock because I'm a Fractal customer, pure and simple. Never would have happened otherwise.

A year from now these CA amps will sell on Reverb for 3 times what Alan could have charged....

Back
Top Bottom