Version 6.00 Preview

Recent firmware releases happened on friday evenings (for me, UTC+1), at least if i remember correctly for 5.04 and 5.07...
Do you think tonight is the night ? ^^

Agreed, this is very interesting to me too, wondering if I can "Match" my weirder fuzzes.... The EQ them to cut through live a little better.... Very interested with this "Matching" concept.... I wonder what a guitar sounds like when "Tone Matching" a human voice, a kitchen blender, a dog barking???? Probably like S*** .... But some interesting playtime ahead and some cool sounds may be discovered.

From reading I dont think it works like that. I read you have to dial your sound close as you can get to the sound you want to match then start the matching process and then it makes the appropriate changes. So unless you can dial in a kitchen blender real good it might be trouble:razz But please someone tell me I'm wrong:shock

From reading I dont think it works like that. I read you have to dial your sound close as you can get to the sound you want to match then start the matching process and then it makes the appropriate changes. So unless you can dial in a kitchen blender real good it might be trouble:razz But please someone tell me I'm wrong:shock

Totally understood, just meaning there might be some interesting sounds by doing some strange things...if you get me.

Like I say it will probably sound bad.... But I am gonna Try feeding it some odd sounds.

Well, Cliffs comments that the firmware was pretty much done and the time they are taking now is with Axe-Edit and MFC-101 integration pretty much puts that theory to bed

I would love to see your facts on why the II is not built for any kind of profiling or tone matching. I personally am not smart enough to know if the architecture is capable of handling such features but since it has already been stated it’s done and we have had several examples I would really like to know how you can support your comments.

I won't hold my breath though. :)

Well, apparently i am right about the issues that this firmware is cousing, this "integration with axe edit and mfc 101" for instance, which is understandable. I'm sure every software updates take alot of time, work and dedication even more this one.
And i didn't mention any reasons in my comment on why it's taking too long to came out, what the hell do i know! However, if you put two and two together you will get that this is a big change on the whole system and it will bring some issues.
I do not know nothing about technical or electronic stuff, but maybe you can explain to me why the axe fx II didn't came with tone matching in the first place, when it was released.

Should i hold my breath? :)

pjrs78 said:
I do not know nothing about technical or electronic stuff....

Or grammar...

pjrs78 said:
...maybe you can explain to me why the axe fx II didn't came with tone matching in the first place, when it was released.

Exactly - what is Cliff trying to pull here, making us wait for free updates when he could have simply put everything into the original firmware!?!? What a scam...

(I hope you're kidding about all of that)

It's all getting a bit dull ... if this keeps up there'll be be a danger of 'ok we got v6 now - when's v7 coming?' 'I really need v7'. If v6 hadn't been hinted at most of us would be happily playing away regardless of 'competing' products' capabilities.

I'm sure a lot of KPA users have lost the sheen of excitement of ripping open a new box by now and if they haven't experienced the Axe 2 are starting to get itchy credit cards to test out for themselves.

Most of us have to take a stand with just one product of this type - constantly hopping from one to another might be exciting - but as Henry R alluded to elsewhere .... when do you actually get to concentrate on just playing guitar in all this?

Maybe we should just sell our Axe 2s and get a KPA until v6 is released - then once it's released sell the KPA and get an Axe2 again? :) (yes it's a joke so don't light your afterburners)

I personally have 'invested' in the Axe2 as a great modeling preamp and excellent FX unit and will wait and accept gratefully any updates as and when they are released - I don't feel like throwing away money by constantly switching equipment or hording up roomfuls of amps (guitars maybe tho!). Investment is not just monetary - it's time and effort as well.

This is all from my own perspective of course. If you have the desire and means to try everything new out there then go ahead if that's what sails your boat.

The introduction of the 'tone matching' by FAS is perfectly understandable if you put yourself in their position - you got to keep up with what's available elsewhere to be in business - and KPA are reputedly responding with a rack version of their product. Then there's Matrix FRFR v Atomic CLR v RCF v EV etc ..... there's a load of spin flying around to keep everyone drooling .... developer v developer and user v user ..... blah blah

I got a secondhand guitar today to add to the stable - a Levinson Blade Texas Std Pro - came with upgraded Jeff Beck noiseless SC pups and the Levinson VSC switchable active tone boost - really comfortable dead straight maple neck - 22 frets and overall built really well. Quacks like a fifties strat or growls like errr..... Jeff Beck. Feels nicer to me than any modern Strat I've ever picked up US, Japanese or Mexican. Paid absolute peanuts for it - much less than I would have lost experimenting/changing amplification and processing devices. A very acceptable tone changer I find when plugged into the Axe ... it will last forever and nice to look at too.

Long live the guitar .... the rest of the stuff .... is just stuff.

When you'll be able to write a sentence in portuguese then you can criticize my english.

Point taken - I was being tacky. I only waded into the fray because of the tone of your other comments which seem ridiculous to me. Ripping your grammar was low-hanging fruit and I apologize for criticizing your English. I am not able to spell Portuguese, much less construct a proper sentence using it. I hope we can make up and move on - it wasn't my intent to derail the thread.

To paraphrase Salt-n-Pepa: "Let's talk about 6, baby..."

I think this 6.0 it's cousing some problems, that's why it's taking alot of time to get out. The Axe fx II was not built to make this kind of profiling or tone matching, it's a last resort mesure, it will have flaws. And in my opinion this is a recognition that Kemper is a great unit and a real threat.
I have an Axe fx II, i love it, but it's not perfect. I'm sure Kemper isn't perfect too, i haven't try it, but this effort that fractal is making.... i'm guessing it's a good unit

Ps: I'm not one of these guys that needs to defend the axe fx or say it's the best thing ever all the time!

Nope. just a lot to do - they are working as fast as they can. there is a lot more than tone match to the update.

Well, apparently i am right about the issues that this firmware is cousing, this "integration with axe edit and mfc 101" for instance, which is understandable. I'm sure every software updates take alot of time, work and dedication even more this one.
And i didn't mention any reasons in my comment on why it's taking too long to came out, what the hell do i know! However, if you put two and two together you will get that this is a big change on the whole system and it will bring some issues.
I do not know nothing about technical or electronic stuff, but maybe you can explain to me why the axe fx II didn't came with tone matching in the first place, when it was released.

Should i hold my breath? :)

I can answer your question so you will not need to hold our breath. :) On the other hand you did not answer mine but that is ok. Cliff commented long ago that he thought of the "profiling" method and decided against it. He felt, and I happen to agree with him (on this point) that the modeling approach offered more and gives users a broader spectrum to not only dial in the original amp sounds but to expand our horizons and create our own. He also has since commented that the Kemper is more plug and play and the Axe is more for tweaking (not a direct quote). Now he simply adds a functionalty that adds a similar plug and play approach for those who have struggled with the enourmous amout of tweakable paramaters. A win/win for ALL in my humble opinion!

And I beg to differ with your above comment that you didn't mention in your comment on why its taking too long. "The Axe fx II was not built to make this kind of profiling or tone matching, it's a last resort mesure, it will have flaws." Your statement seems pretty apparent to me. I must have comprehended it incorrectly?

Of course it’s a big change. There is more than the tone matching going on. That was my point to begin with. There is all the integration with Axe-Edit and the MFC-101 not to mention the reworked Amp modeling (which is what I am more excited about BTW).

These things take time. The beta testers are working hard to provide us as clean a release as possible. On a volunteer basis I might add. I have plenty of experience delivering complex software and it very time intensive and the beta process can take many iterations. Especially when incorporating the other two products into the release.

My question to you was simply how you came to the conclusion that the II was not built for this kind of firmware upgrade and it was a last resort to do so. You cannot answer that. I know this and that is why you got my tongue in cheek hold my breath comment.

All is good, we will get it when it is ready. And no doubt many will complain it took too long just as others will complain it was not refined enough and they should have taken longer. It’s the nature of the beast today in the we want it now self-gratification world we live in. I am just happy to be along for the ride and will be thrilled when it comes out. Be that today or two months from now.

In the meantime, I have the greatest modeler on the planet that far exceeds my talents and/or capabilities. No complaints from me…

+100.

FAS could have said nothing about 6 and everyone would be loving on 5.07. Instead, ...

They could have but it seems they like to create a buzz about upcoming firmware updates. It's one of the ways they seem to market the Axe, which is fine. I stayed with 5.04 & have been very happy with my sound. Still, looking forward to 6 but for now, all is good!

Back
Top Bottom