Version 6.00 Preview

I certainly am not complaining about anything. I am very happy about Tone "EQ" Matching coming to the Axe-II.

I will use this feature quite a lot, I'm sure. Love the fact that it basically all happens within the Axe, without the use of a DAW, Ozone, and a deconvolver. Add the other stuff that 6.0 will bring to the table, who could complain?

I just find it strange that many of you read the same posts as I do by Cliff, some Fas staff , and beta dudes regarding the upcoming "Tone Matching" of isolated song tracks and tube amp/modeler clips to existing Axe amp blocks , but yet you still think there is some other type of Amp Matching going on.

We will be matching recorded clips of ourselves or others playing thru a tube amp, to an existing Axe-II amp block that we feel is closest in tone to the reference clip. We must also set the gain and basic tone knobs as close as possible. We then record ourselves(using the chosen amp block with cab disabled) playing something identical or close as possible to the reference clip.
Then we tell the Axe to match them. A matched block is then created. If we likey we keepy, If we no likey we repeat process.

The process is the same if using an isolated guitar track from a song as the reference clip, except of course when using your tube amp you have to mic the amp/cab in order to get your recorded clip into the Axe. With an iso track from a song or someone's previously recorded tube amp or modeler clip, you simply use USB to get the clip into the Axe.

This is "Tone Matching" coming to an Axe-Fx II near you!! If you read what has been clearly stated by Cliff & others, this should be pretty clear. I am excited!!

Last edited:
I just find it strange that many of you read the same posts as I do by Cliff, some Fas staff , and beta dudes regarding the upcoming "Tone Matching" of isolated song tracks and tube amp/modeler clips to existing Axe amp blocks , but yet you still think there is some other type of Amp Matching going on.
In all fairness, I believe this is because Cliff initially posted there would be two distinctly different "amp match" and "tone match" features. The amp match part is now non-existent. I read the thread regarding legal issues. It was deleted *very* quickly, so it was either spot on or completely off the mark.

In all fairness, I believe this is because Cliff initially posted there would be two distinctly different "amp match" and "tone match" features. The amp match part is now non-existent. I read the thread regarding legal issues. It was deleted *very* quickly, so it was either spot on or completely off the mark.

I thought it was that the word "profiling" was the legal issue?

Maybe I missed the thread you are referring to?

I also got the ideia of two different features, he said something like "currently there are two modes amp-matching and tone matching" maybe the word currently is the key

It sounds amazing, I really can't wait to make use of this feature. Great for playing along to my favourite artists.

I still prefer my own tones for my recordings though. Don't think I could use someone else's.

I really think they should do another preview, just to prepare us a bit more, keep us going. ;)
Maybe using Black Clouds and Silver Linings stems :)

Amp matching has evolved to a process that features the "tone match" block. It is not a separate block by itself.

One of the reasons for the wait is we're doing a lot of testing to refine the process. Matt has also done some great documentation. We hope to have some tutorial videos as well but it's not entirely clear if that will be possible before the release date.

Amp matching has evolved to a process that features the "tone match" block. It is not a separate block by itself.

One of the reasons for the wait is we're doing a lot of testing to refine the process. Matt has also done some great documentation. We hope to have some tutorial videos as well but it's not entirely clear if that will be possible before the release date.

Awesome, Adam.

So in other words, is it correct to say that the tone match block offers 2 methods or processes, one for amp matching and the other for recording matching? And that in reality it is pretty much the same thing with the only thing being different is how you deal with the source you want to match?

From what I gather from the other company that does this is.... they have a default amp block which is applied to the matched source. This method leaves limited adjusting from the original source capture.
I think the Axe will allow you to select the amp model that closely resembles the amp your trying to capture. This method would allow you to adjust the amp just like you would the real thing.

Just my speculation on how it may operate.

To make this as simple as possible:

We are going to be using a recorded clip of whatever reference tone we want to match, and then EQ match it to an existing Axe-II amp block. That reference tone can come from your tube amp or an isolated track from a song etc....

That is basically it. Obviously the success of the "match" will come down to the quality of the recorded reference clip and our ability to choose the most appropriate amp block for that reference clip. We will also need to dial the gain and basic tone knobs of the amp block as close as we can to the reference clip before initiating the "match" to get the best results.

So in other words, is it correct to say that the tone match block offers 2 methods or processes, one for amp matching and the other for recording matching? And that in reality it is pretty much the same thing with the only thing being different is how you deal with the source you want to match?

The tone match block has a singular functionality. However, it's flexible enough I/O wise to be used in different ways. For example, the reference signal could be input from USB, or a row in the grid, etc.

The tone match block has a singular functionality. However, it's flexible enough I/O wise to be used in different ways. For example, the reference signal could be input from USB, or a row in the grid, etc.

Ok that clarifies it for me. The process is the same and non dependent on what you are trying to match (direct amp+cab+mic, recording, ..). Is there anything else besides the EQ being matched on the process?

Back
Top Bottom