Version 6.00 Preview

I would be willing to bet the firmware is done, at least well enough to release.

It seems this Axe-Edit/Axe-Change thing has been on the slow road to develop.

I am kind of intrigued by the whole thing, not being savvy to programming challenges. I would think that the stuff Cliff comes up with would be the hard part and the control apps would be much easier to dial in.

I think I am wrong.

FWIW, I am not complaining.

I feel very sorry for Cliff after a release and the

"Why isn't Axe-Edit compatible with the new firmware yet?"
"My firware doesn't have the new amps"
"I wish you wouldn't release stuff until it is 100% done"
etc..

posts start popping up.

I would be willing to bet the firmware is done, at least well enough to release.

It seems this Axe-Edit/Axe-Change thing has been on the slow road to develop.

I am kind of intrigued by the whole thing, not being savvy to programming challenges. I would think that the stuff Cliff comes up with would be the hard part and the control apps would be much easier to dial in.

I think I am wrong.

FWIW, I am not complaining.

I feel very sorry for Cliff after a release and the

"Why isn't Axe-Edit compatible with the new firmware yet?"
"My firware doesn't have the new amps"
"I wish you wouldn't release stuff until it is 100% done"
etc..

posts start popping up.

cliff stated in another thread the firmware was basically done and it was just integrating the MFC and axe edit that was left

cliff stated in another thread the firmware was basically done and it was just integrating the MFC and axe edit that was left

He basically said it's done but they are checking the functionality with Axe Edit and the foot controller to make sure there are no bugs. Personally I hope they take their time and get everything working smoothly. I'd rather wait longer and have no bug issues.

The 3 Amp Matching clips that Cliff created with the A/B comparisons are impressive, to my ears anyway. To my knowledge Cliff did not personally post any Tone Matching clips. Those were posted by beta testers and none had the original clip to use for an A/B comparison, so we really have no information on how well the Tone Matching works, or at least very little information.

"Amp Duplication" (to avoid using a different term) was what was originally announced and that (Amp Matching) seems to work extremely well based on the 3 examples given. Tone Matching was a feature that was announced after the Amp Matching and seems to have generated even more interest than the Amp Matching. I'm more interested in the Amp Matching, but if the Tone Matching works as well as the clips that were posted of the Amp Matching all I can say is WOW!

I hope the firmware release doesn't occur before Monday. A lot of people have plans for Easter and it would be a difficult to spend time with the family knowing that the new firmware was out. I'd probably end up bringing my guitar, AXE, and a pair of phones with me and end up divorced.:D

The 3 Amp Matching clips that Cliff created with the A/B comparisons are impressive, to my ears anyway. To my knowledge Cliff did not personally post any Tone Matching clips. Those were posted by beta testers and none had the original clip to use for an A/B comparison, so we really have no information on how well the Tone Matching works, or at least very little information.

"Amp Duplication" (to avoid using a different term) was what was originally announced and that (Amp Matching) seems to work extremely well based on the 3 examples given. Tone Matching was a feature that was announced after the Amp Matching and seems to have generated even more interest than the Amp Matching. I'm more interested in the Amp Matching, but if the Tone Matching works as well as the clips that were posted of the Amp Matching all I can say is WOW!

Don't you get that " Tone Matching" & "Amp Matching" are basically the same thing?

1.You are taking a recorded clip of yourself or someone else playing thru a tube amp, and then "tone matching" that clip to an amp block of your choice. This is "Amp Matching".

2. You are taking a clip of an isolated guitar track and then "tone matching" that clip to an amp block of your choice. This is "Tone Matching".

They both come down to tone matching a recorded "Amp Tone" to an existing Amp Block in the Axe-II. Same process basically.

The reason Cliff's results were better probably comes down to the fact that it is much easier to get a high quality organic clip of an amp that you are playing thru, as opposed to Adam who used a compressed You Tube clip & the heavily layered Limelight intro clip.

Last edited:
IMO, something called "Amp Matching" cannot be the same as (but could incorporate aspects of) "Tone Matching." If we are provided a single "Matching" function, and that function we are offered is, essentially, a "filter matching algorithm," then I do not see how it could match an Amp's properties via a wav or mp3. That would be similar to matching a cab with a recording IMO (not the best analogy, but equally futile I imagine). IMO, there has to be (at least) some form of interactivity to "Match an Amp," whereas to "Match a Tone" only requires some form of input, be it mp3, wav, etc.

That said...
If Cliff has created something that allows for the latter, but also allows for "live input," plus something akin to or incorporating (some aspects of) IR use.. this would extend "Tone Matching" into a more.. "Amp Matching" territory. IMO.

And the above illustrates the futility of speculation over this.. IMO. However, it is so very much fun to be a little kid waiting for that special day to open presents :D (and hope it is not underwear, socks, etc.. or that your family has not forgotten the special day.. again.. :( )

Cliff basically confirmed in a thread a couple weeks ago that my take on the upcoming Tone/Amp Matching features are pretty accurate.

You can try to imagine the Amp Matching feature to be something more than it is if it makes you happy.

I have similar thoughts as Nikki. We're just speculating now, but initially there were 2 different types of matching described. Tone matching, which is along the lines of the EQ/IR matching process that people have been doing in their DAWs, and Amp matching which would be along the lines of the Kemper-type of analysis, matching deeper aspects of an amp than what tone matching would do. Some of the discussions after the matching examples were uploaded make it seem like both of the matching processes are more similar than different. So who knows what we'll see, but Cliff always amazes me so I doubt I'll be unimpressed. Perhaps he's out-Kempering their process with something totally new.

But without more details we won't know what it is or how they work until its released. I'm excited to see it as I'm sure it will be great whatever it is.

Cliff basically confirmed in a thread a couple weeks ago that my take on the upcoming Tone/Amp Matching features are pretty accurate.

You can try to imagine the Amp Matching feature to be something more than it is if it makes you happy.

What I imagine based on what I have read is that there is no amp matching, only eq matching. Still a great feature if that is in fact what it turns out to be.

I can get the amp characteristics I need already. Choosing IRs and equalizing the signal is what takes the most time for me.

Don't you get that " Tone Matching" & "Amp Matching" are basically the same thing?

1.You are taking a recorded clip of yourself or someone else playing thru a tube amp, and then "tone matching" that clip to an amp block of your choice. This is "Amp Matching".

2. You are taking a clip of an isolated guitar track and then "tone matching" that clip to an amp block of your choice. This is "Tone Matching".

Huh? That's not basically the same thing, it's exactly the same thing. What's the difference between a recorded clip of guitar playing, and an isolated guitar track?

Tone matching, which is along the lines of the EQ/IR matching process that people have been doing in their DAWs, and Amp matching which would be along the lines of the Kemper-type of analysis, matching deeper aspects of an amp than what tone matching would do.

I understood it the same way as Willowdale. I believe it is pretty much the same thing, the difference is probably just the way you or the axe deals with the source you try to match.

Based on what I have read, if you want to tone match an amp you will need to choose an amp model that sounds close to what you are trying to match, adjust the settings on it like gain and maybe eq to be similar to the real amp and then use amp matching to match the EQ. I did not read anything about the amp matching feature capturing as well the dynamics or gain of the real amp being matched (like the KPA does) for example. Maybe it actually does it but I did not read/understood that.

Maybe one of the testers can tell us about it.

What I imagine based on what I have read is that there is no amp matching, only eq matching. Still a great feature if that is in fact what it turns out to be.

I can get the amp characteristics I need already. Choosing IRs and equalizing the signal is what takes the most time for me.

You are correct Steadystate. Some people seem to have a problem with reading comprehension.

Let me repeat: Cliff confirmed my take on this to be accurate in a thread a couple weeks ago.

He basically said it's done but they are checking the functionality with Axe Edit and the foot controller to make sure there are no bugs. Personally I hope they take their time and get everything working smoothly. I'd rather wait longer and have no bug issues.

I hope the firmware release doesn't occur before Monday. A lot of people have plans for Easter and it would be a difficult to spend time with the family knowing that the new firmware was out. I'd probably end up bringing my guitar, AXE, and a pair of phones with me and end up divorced.:D

Cliff, Adam and Matt are Fractal employees whom posted those clips. No beta tester clips have been posted.

I have similar thoughts as Nikki. We're just speculating now, but initially there were 2 different types of matching described. Tone matching, which is along the lines of the EQ/IR matching process that people have been doing in their DAWs, and Amp matching which would be along the lines of the Kemper-type of analysis, matching deeper aspects of an amp than what tone matching would do. Some of the discussions after the matching examples were uploaded make it seem like both of the matching processes are more similar than different. So who knows what we'll see, but Cliff always amazes me so I doubt I'll be unimpressed. Perhaps he's out-Kempering their process with something totally new.

But without more details we won't know what it is or how they work until its released. I'm excited to see it as I'm sure it will be great whatever it is.

I think originally this was how it was intended to be but from another thread I read (cant find now) a user confirmed that there were some legal issues with the kemper style amp matching so that may have been ditched.

You are correct Steadystate. Some people seem to have a problem with reading comprehension. Let me repeat: Cliff confirmed my take on this to be accurate in a thread a couple weeks ago.

I understand that Cliff said that. I also know that Cliff doesn't always show all of his cards before it's time, so I'm just reiterating that we don't know what's coming until we see it. I just find it interesting that amp matching/profiling was initially mentioned and then that topic got quiet. Perhaps there were legal considerations to it as has been mentioned. But we'll know soon enough when the release comes out one way or the other. Doesn't really matter that much to me - there's plenty to get excited about here. However the release of 6.0 stacks up, it's going to be great. That I feel pretty sure of. The new modeling, tone matching, Axe/MFC sync, etc. Should be great.

I suggest this to Cliff.....

What about Cliff start to count...10 days before the release of v.6.00..?
he did this before when Axe II came out...Will be fun
I can hear the axe's owners voices: ten...niineee,eiightt...seeeveeen......
New Years Eve like counting...Hurrrayyyyyy !

Back
Top Bottom