Version 5 mini review

Interesting stuff, so is that the db input into the cab block or the master volume on the amp block that it is related to?
I'm about to ramble cluelessly, but I imagine it's two-way: The juicy slam/thud/ring of "KERRANG" whipping out of cabinet like audio crack might be a combo of (1) a powerful transient passing through preamp and power sections, and then (2) how the cab's "piston" manifestation of that signal effects specific parts of the power amp's "engine" as the load/draw is imposed initially and over time. And a bit of vice versa. I'm guessing this includes some more math in the cab for receive/send in regards to the physics of the transient both electronically and sonically.

Engine or Motor is a great way to put it. Cab and Amp aren't separate entities as much as they are a single Engine, where load and output are not mutually exclusive. The output affects load, affects output, and the end-user can decide how "hot" or "cool" they want the engine to run: hotter is "greasier/slippery/chewier/softer", and cooler is "grippier/chunkier/stiffer/harder" and you can set the balance to your taste.

Like I said, just guessing, but what I hear in the clips is a lot more two-way math between amp/cab with user ability to choose what that math is doing to make the Engine hotter or colder, and to influence that math in their dynamics.

A wild guess at translating what I hear, but until I learn more, I sort of think of it that way for myself.

Last edited:
One great thing about these updates, it is like getting a new piece of gear everytime! This defenetely helps some of us who suffer from reacurring G.A.S. syndrome.:D

You know, I don't find the updates that challenging to redial as far as tone. I dial most of my amps (including the real ones back in the day) with a similar formula...bass somewhere 5 or less, mids 5-7, treble 5-8. There are some variances, but 90% of my amps sims are set this way. When I get a new FW load, I just reset. The only advanced parameters I've been tweaking have been Scott's suggestion of 1.25 value on speaker drive. I also play with the pre/power amp tube hardness and move it up on the JCM800 to get a different response out of that amp.

Scott, with this new motor parameter, I assume there is a default value that's set pretty nicely? Are you customizing by ear as to what you like or are you leaving it standard on most?

Remember I am using beta and beta is beta. It currently defaults to 0.00. I am adjusting by ear.

Can I update from 3, or do I have to update to 4 before updating to 5 when it is ready?

No, you do not have to update to 4.xx. You can go direct to the most current firmware from any other firmware.

Scott- When is ETA on this?

That is something I do not know. And even if I did know, I could not tell you.

I can offer my impressions and experiences in a general sense only. Details are subject to NDA.

I open my mouth (via posting) too much as it is.

How about a show of hands for those Std/Ultra users who decided to upgrade after hearing the v5 demo clips Cliff posted? Count me as one. :)

No hands for me. I still haven't heard anything that would make me want to change from the Standard. Still waiting for an Axe-Fx 3 with a better user interface.

That is something I do not know. And even if I did know, I could not tell you.

I can offer my impressions and experiences in a general sense only. Details are subject to NDA.

Sure. Was just wondering if this was soon(like in next couple weeks) or in very early stages.

Thanks for your work here.

I go crazy when I hear a cymbal And a hi hat with a souped up tempo I'm on a roll and it's time to go solo Rollin in my 5.0 With my ragtop down so my hair can blow

How far away is version 5? I need to know if I should head out to pick the kids up from school.... or let them walk 7 miles in the rain while I play hahahahahahaha!!!:lol

Just kidding guys just kidding!!!!!

but seriously?

i don't even think i've gone to 4.01 yet, since i had a gig, and then had a studio session, with sounds that had already been formed and didn't want to have to re-tweak, but now i have about 6 weeks till my next gig, that'll give me plenty of time to tweak!!! psyched for this one!

The Big Cheese ( Cliff ) started it with the whole "tease 'em with the new Firmware, make 'drool and suffer for a while" tactic... Blame it on him ! ;-)

Your help and insight is always helpful, Scott .. Thank you !

It occurs after the amp so it doesn't affect the way the amp saturates, but it will affect the way the cab block will sound. It is dependent on the motor drive level and the signal level of the input into the cab block I believe. It simulates the effect of what happen when you send high power levels to the speakers (clean or saturated).

I go into a Mesa power amp & guitar cabs so if you don't use the cab sims, will this update have little to no effect on the sound & feel?

wynsmth said:
I go into a Mesa power amp & guitar cabs so if you don't use the cab sims, will this update have little to no effect on the sound & feel?

Last I heard Cliff was still deciding if he was going to put this in the amp block or speaker block. I have heard they are at code complete now with a release candidate in testing, so we should find out soon where it ended up. If it was moved to the amp block, you're good to go even if you don't use the cab block.

Back
Top Bottom