Version 5.00 firmware preview

Hang in there shotgunn, you're a great addition to the forum!!

Took the words outta my mouth. There is always an ebb and a flow to life man so hang in there brotha. I know you have young kids as do I and that can really add stress to our daily life. My friend's mother had terminal cancer and her motto was "only one bad day at a time". If she was having a crappy day she allowed herself that crappy day but she willed herself to have a better day the next. That always stuck with me and has really helped me through the years. Believe me, just having that state of mind can really help.

I dealt with severe depression a few times in my life but fortunately it isn't chronic and I'm ok, however I do understand how paralyzing that state of mind can be. There are plenty of us on here who would be happy to listen or lend support if you're having a bad day so although we aren't licensed professionals I always found that a sympathetic ear went a long way.

I can't speak for anyone else. But I for one, love the updates and stand by Fractal precisely because Cliff is so dedicated to sharing his genius with the rest of us. It is exiting to have the axe only for two weeks and know that I have a product that will be refined until the inevitable coming of the AXE FX III.... This is refreshing considering some of my other big money (to me) purchases in the past. I bought a Motif XS8 (which I do love) 2 years ago. At the time on the forums Yamaha promised big changes and a firmware update, and I hoped for certain enhancements that everyone wanted like piano roll. 8 months later, and after two different firmware dates came and went with silence and Yamaha fanboy attacks at anyone who mentioned that a firmware update hadn't come, they released the XF and it took another 5 months for a update that wasn't what I hoped. I also bought the Roland Cakewalk VS-700 studio interface and console at the same time, and I do love it but there were many things that could have been improved. Again many promises made on the forum (big changes and enhancements...) Then cakewalk released X1, and it didn't even match the console eq layout. It is a great system, but anytime a big company promises enhancements and firmware updates I just roll my eyes now. Half the time they really mean that they are coming out with a new product (the recent buzz about the MPC 5000 getting firmware updates bears this out, the talk started a while ago, and instead Akai is now releasing the MPC renaissance. To their credit they promise to also release firmware for the 5000.) Anyway... Long story short... or still long. I find it refreshing that Fractal on the other hand doesn't promise you firmware that doesn't arrive on time for months (or years,) but bam, close your eyes, and you have new firmware. And it is not just the firmware itself, but knowing that you bought from a company that prides itself on being and staying on the cutting edge in guitar processing..

Last edited:
Earthworks TC30. I spent no time on the capture. Put the mic about 2" from the grille and about halfway between center and edge. Pressed Capture.

Thanks for the info; it was just that simple hmm ;-)?

It's exciting to hear the great results in these various preview clips that are forthcoming in the next FW version; they sound really ballsy and responsive.

Great. Version 5 is on the horizon... and now I can't sleep. F**K!!!!!!!

Shotgunn,

I know where you are coming from... still struggle every day. I can only agree with other posters here that you've been an asset to the community! Music does help big time! Even when I think there's no way it could cheer me up... it does some how. Pick up the guitar and forget about everything else for awhile.

'Don

haha kev! Vacuum cleaner IR! Add a tape delay and the tube pre and you've got yourself a workhorse!
When I think about the more ambience-stuff I can't neglect the fact that when I turn on the dish-washer,
I can't help but lean back in the chair and get really sleepy! You know, the sound of something being done.
It's like you're sitting there doing the dishes since you're the one who flicked the switch..
A dishwasher IR with some reverb would definatly fit right in to the easy-listening-house-chillout-genre 8)

I was actually talking about the magnitude of how how firmware updates on cars affect its function vs firmware updates on the Axefx, which is digital in nature. But thanks for the info.

sorry for the offtopic, I only find interesting how a mechanical thing like a car is an electronic based product these days...
Yes I know what you mean, it's imposible to upgrade the Axe and not expect to change your presets when it's a new machine every new FW. It affects directly to the primary function of the machine.
Same thing happens to amps, but with these you have to buy the new model, or new tubes, or new transformers...

What Cliff is doing with his products is a gift for all users. Just amazing.

- dynamic OT modeling, power supply modeling, etc.
- Dynamic speaker modeling

www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/jcm800_mindless_noodling.mp3

It models the impedance change of the motor with applied power.

I.see.what.you.did.there ;)

The technical amongst us will marvel at your genius when they figure it out - I'm betting Nikki figures it out first :lol:

The non technical amongst us will now be able to sell their cabs without missing ANYTHING and not sacrifice an ounce of feel. I don't even have the firmware yet and I know this is going to be possibly one of the biggest advances in modelling tech so far.

All you 'need that amp in the room sound' guys will be shocked out of your minds! :lol:

So I understand that impedance changes with frequency (in an inductor), but what's the relationship with power about? Is it because of the movement of the "motor," and the more movement the less apparent impedance? I would assume this is frequency dependant too. That's more of a question than a statement. Just trying to get a grip on this.

So I understand that impedance changes with frequency (in an inductor), but what's the relationship with power about? Is it because of the movement of the "motor," and the more movement the less apparent impedance? I would assume this is frequency dependant too. That's more of a question than a statement. Just trying to get a grip on this.

I'm not a scientist.

But, as I understand it, it's what happens as things heat up. Amps that are running hot sound different than amps that just were turned on. Speaker voice coils heat up. Transformers. Tubes. Etc..

The heat changes things - hence the reference to 'motor' indicating 'movement'.

That's probably oversimplified, but that's how I understand it.

And as the impedence changes so does the demand on the OT. Starting to see the big picture?

Took me a while to figure it all out too!

@scott, yea, heat DOES make a big difference. Loads change, characteristics change, and this is usually something that is negligible for all intents, but for audio it makes a difference. I'm no scientist either, but I DO know that what he did there is nothing easy at ALL, and a mathematical NIGHTMARE to say the least! :eek:

I remember YEARS ago in school we tried to come up with ways to map it out some thing like this mathematically, and failed miserably. We all thought it couldn't be done. If it is what I think it all is, cliff and co might just turn the mathematical world on its head as well! :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom