Version 10.00 Stuff

With no disrespect to your friend at all, I spent a day with Thomas Nordegg (Vai's tech) and Vai, and that's completely innacurate. He uses his Legacy amps and uses the Axe FX for effects and controls the entire rig with his Fractal MFC-101.

Well the FOH guy in Munich told me the same and Vai's amps were switched on standby... (at the G3-Tour 2012)

Different question: Any rumors when 10 will be out?

As I understand this technology implies that all ampsims are undergoing a refurbishing job. Oups, that's a job !! On medium term would the same apply for distortion pedals ?

With no disrespect to your friend at all, I spent a day with Thomas Nordegg (Vai's tech) and Vai, and that's completely innacurate. He uses his Legacy amps and uses the Axe FX for effects and controls the entire rig with his Fractal MFC-101.

They probably have to say that because of endorsement agreements!! Just because they are the techs and directly involved does,nt mean they shoot straight about it all ! They more than likely can't or won't share much info !

Other users patches are often a good source of information on layout ideas, specific block tweaking etc. One coming from a respected touring pro will be interesting, even if you would need to tweak it to make it work for you

^This

To learn what was tweaked out for a pro rig.

Richard

They probably have to say that because of endorsement agreements!! Just because they are the techs and directly involved does,nt mean they shoot straight about it all ! They more than likely can't or won't share much info !

I'd probably go ahead and read the thread Toad created about his day with Thomas and Vai.

Is it me or is the bass guitar aspect of the Axe-FX 2 being treated like a redheaded stepchild?

I just bought a bass guitar yesterday for recording purposes and was thinking how handy it would be to have a few more bass amps. I'm using the 65 bassman right now but would be cool to have just a handful of the big ones (SWR, Hartke, etc.)

+1
+1 please!

The V10 changes sound amazing. But making certain parameters AxeEdit-only would seriously spoil the fun.

1) For user interface reasons: I often play with no computer connected and would not want to be restricted by that.
2) For lock-in reasons: I do not use Windows or Mac OS. And I have not heard anything about a free-software version of AxeEdit being released :)

Please please reconsider. I have always held the opinion that AxeEdit is a bonus, and people should not complain about it, since the fully functional product is the Axe-Fx II. Please keep it that way for FW 10+!

But surely if the amp sims are improved to the point where you don't need your real amp/s any more, then that's something to get incredibly excited about! I suppose the only potential fly in the ointment is if you are using a specific amp that isn't modelled in the axe-fx.

It's a good thing for sure and I do like the sims for recording but it doesn't translate for me in live use. I like the sound of my red plate black loop better than anything I have used in the axe. But my point is that the fx part of the axe is not getting updated as frequently and there are a lot request on the wish list that seem to be skipped over. I know that fractal doesn't owe me or anyone anything we bought the unit and most company's don't update anything but this is one of the selling points that made me switch from the ultra, is that there is room for growth.

Semi-off topic, but does the "G2 Modeling Technology", which is printed on the front of every Axe II unit, even exist anymore? Or does any change in the modeling process, no matter how significantly different, just fall under the G2 label (until there's an Axe III anyways)?

I think I smell a future guitar nerd trivia question in the making...

I just bought a bass guitar yesterday for recording purposes and was thinking how handy it would be to have a few more bass amps. I'm using the 65 bassman right now but would be cool to have just a handful of the big ones (SWR, Hartke, etc.)

First thing, I grant I'm not really a bass player and no longer even own any bass amps. But whenever I do play my bass, I find the Axe does everything I could ask for in the compression / distortion / EQ department as far as bass tones go. So my question is, do you guys feel there's something the II currently can't sonically do that need to be addressed by way of more bass amp models or is it more a convenience thing of having templates of familiar amps to work from?

First thing, I grant I'm not really a bass player and no longer even own any bass amps. But whenever I do play my bass, I find the Axe does everything I could ask for in the compression / distortion / EQ department as far as bass tones go. So my question is, do you guys feel there's something the II currently can't sonically do that need to be addressed by way of more bass amp models or is it more a convenience thing of having templates of familiar amps to work from?

I play both bass and guitar.

For me its having more models of different classic bass amplifiers and more IR's of classic bass speakers.

In the same way I don't think its overkill to have 10-20 different Marshall amp sims, it would be good to have more choices for bass.

Richard

+1 please!

The V10 changes sound amazing. But making certain parameters AxeEdit-only would seriously spoil the fun.

I did not read it that way. IIRC I think he meant that redundant parameters were removed.
IE: Parameters with multiple iterations across multiple pages were reduced (but not illiminated) in order to streamline the Axe II's interface. With all the bells n whistles having been added over time menus can get cluttered. This is a good thing, no?

Mike

Last edited:
I don't see why having any artists's patches would do "me" any good? We all know everyone's rig is different and tastes run all over the map. Just IMHO

Maybe just PERHAPS if one likes said artist, sound, etc. even one MAY have said artists guitar, maybe one's tastes for some sounds match said ARTISTS? Is there a point to your HO? If you dont want some patches dont use them!

Models now default to a starting Master Volume setting when selected. Also, the proper setting for non-MV amps is now a Master Volume setting of 10.0. Non-MV amps, therefore, will default to a value of 10.0 when selected. Furthermore, the MV taper for amps with master volume controls now matches the actual amp. If more MV drive is desired for non-MV amps, the new MSTR VOL TRIM parameter in the Advanced GUI page can be used to increase (or decrease) the Master Volume.

I'd heard that a Master Volume of 10 was equivalent to 11 on the real-world amp. I guess this wasn't—or is no longer—true?

Back
Top Bottom