Version 10.00 Stuff

FYI... Fractal Tweeted just a few days ago that Petrucci was indeed in the studio. So this obviously was Petrucci.

This is by far the best news I've ever heard coming from Fractal. I have not cared about firmware updates, (instead, i'm anticipating a new piece of software from Fractal) but this news is just what the doctor ordered.

I'd love to see an in depth interview with him, some presets that he uses, tone matches of his favorite amps, and maybe even some IR's from his cab. This would be the ultimate artist pack and I would be happy to pay for it.

I also read a tweet that Bulb just put together some presets running on 9 that would be on Axe Change. I'd like to see Fractal capitalize on situations like this more and make a bigger deal of them. It just makes sense from an advertising standpoint.

I agree that this is Jp and the fact they did TM's is awesome and IRs of his cab what also be sweet but in JP's rig he uses the II only for fx and in one video his tech said JP actually use one preset with strings of fx he turns on and off so there is not much to offer in terms of a preset. Vai is the same way

One thing I'm wondering, with this apparent total revamp of the modelling process, are we still going to have the option of choosing the modeling version in the Global menu? Will we still be able to use versions 7.xx, 8.xx, or 9.xx if we want?

I agree that this is Jp and the fact they did TM's is awesome and IRs of his cab what also be sweet but in JP's rig he uses the II only for fx and in one video his tech said JP actually use one preset with strings of fx he turns on and off so there is not much to offer in terms of a preset. Vai is the same way

JP obviously uses his Mesa's and will continue to do so. But JP is the perfect guy to work with Fractal and have them tone match his amps. Obviously since 10 is all about tone matching amps, this is what Fractal did with John. And it sounds as if they're going to share the outcome with us. This is really cool! Then throw John's effects on and you have John's sound on the Axe FX II as close as possible.

I highly doubt John's mind was blown hearing his effects presets through 10. The effects didn't change. I'm sure his mind was blown at how similar the Axe was capable of copying the sound of his Boogies after tone matching them.

Understand?

JP obviously uses his Mesa's and will continue to do so. But JP is the perfect guy to work with Fractal and have them tone match his amps. Obviously since 10 is all about tone matching amps, this is what Fractal did with John. And it sounds as if they're going to share the outcome with us. This is really cool! Then throw John's effects on and you have John's sound on the Axe FX II as close as possible.

I highly doubt John's mind was blown hearing his effects presets through 10. The effects didn't change. I'm sure his mind was blown at how similar the Axe was capable of copying the sound of his Boogies after tone matching them.

Understand?
I understand just fine JP and Matt had made patches in the past for him for him to demo tracks at home. I would love some JP IRs and some presets just to get some of his fx settings. JP is on of my top 5 fav players

I believe that he uses it backstage to warm up, and probably lay down tracks and/or practice.

I'm just guessing that JP (and Vai) uses more of the AXE than what is officially said.

I think so too. Probably the same thing with a guy like Alex Lifeson that had had his own signature model H&K head, which he is no longer using on tour. He is still using an H&K head that does heavier sounds, but went back to a clone of a Marshall Silver Jubilee. I think those guys, like Vai and Petrucci that have tube head endorsement deals, don't want to upset the apple cart. By the time you do all the processing and compressing, and use high gain settings, I can't tell the difference between a real tube amp and a Fractal, especially in a mix and ESPECIALLY at a live rock venue at 115 db or whatever.

I wish Fractal would post "gear run downs" of their top names. I'd like to see if Neal Schon is using the amp sims or just using it as an effects unit for live concerts - his tone is amazing on this tour.

One thing I'm wondering, with this apparent total revamp of the modelling process, are we still going to have the option of choosing the modeling version in the Global menu? Will we still be able to use versions 7.xx, 8.xx, or 9.xx if we want?
keep in mind that those were mostly Power Amp changes. MIMIC goes a little further than this. so yes, expect a difference far greater than what you were able to choose from before and which might make the 7/8/9 option not that important anyway.

= MindBlown

whoa.jpg

Every other time was at Sonic.

Still lots to do. I have some amps coming in and I still have a bunch of amps to put through the MIMIC process.

Please let one of those be an ENGL of some sort! :D

Added “USA Pre Green” and “USA Pre Yellow amp models based on Mesa Triaxis LD2 modes.

I saw this last night in the release notes that Cliff posted, but it didn't even dawn on me that these are the Triaxis's Mark IV & Mark IIc+ lead channel modes (respectively). :roll The more Mesa Mark Series goodness, the better - Shredi like. :)

It will be interesting to see how they differ from the other USA Lead sims.

Last edited:
I maybe one of the few that's disappointed because I don't use amp modeling, just use the axe for fx. But another update with no improvements to the fx, drive block, wha block etc. all the wish list stuff about fx that's up now kind of falls by the wayside. Don't mean to rain on anybody's parade but I'm one the few who care more about the fx rather than the amp sims.

But surely if the amp sims are improved to the point where you don't need your real amp/s any more, then that's something to get incredibly excited about! I suppose the only potential fly in the ointment is if you are using a specific amp that isn't modelled in the axe-fx.

If they only use it for FX why were they "blown away" with the new FW? Why would they even care for non FX FW updates? Why would Matt spend days working with them?
I'm just guessing that JP (and Vai) uses more of the AXE than what is officially said.

A friend of mine knows the guitar tech of Vai in person and he is using the AxeII direct to PA, the amps are just for gods sake on stage.. or let's say because of his endorsements. This was fact for the previous european tour.

A friend of mine knows the guitar tech of Vai in person and he is using the AxeII direct to PA, the amps are just for gods sake on stage.. or let's say because of his endorsements. This was fact for the previous european tour.

With no disrespect to your friend at all, I spent a day with Thomas Nordegg (Vai's tech) and Vai, and that's completely innacurate. He uses his Legacy amps and uses the Axe FX for effects and controls the entire rig with his Fractal MFC-101.

I don't see why having any artists's patches would do "me" any good? We all know everyone's rig is different and tastes run all over the map. Just IMHO
Other users patches are often a good source of information on layout ideas, specific block tweaking etc. One coming from a respected touring pro will be interesting, even if you would need to tweak it to make it work for you

Back
Top Bottom