Version 10.0 Preview

Liking the dynamics on that clip.

I do agree with Cobrango's post earlier actually. There is something in the mids in the first clip that suggests the sticky sound of modelling to me. You'll not hear it 1st time round but the second clip is far more dense harmonically and seems to respond in a rounder way to the palm mutes. Listen closely for the sticky mid sound on the mutes at 0:06 then compare closely with the same mute at 0:20.

This is either the modelling or the IR- seems to be more of a IR trait from my experience. If the 2nd clip was pure amp & cab mic'd up, then thats what i'm hearing and it may not be the modelling. Any info on the clip Cliff?

I am quite used to recording my own 5150 though so (i hope :D) I know what to expect from that amp. Without the luxury of A/Bing Cliffs clip though it would be difficult to call.

If clip 2 is the axe, the man is Moses.

P.S

Happy new year to all, & long live our crazy black box : )

get out yer old testament maidenmaniac! 2nd clip is axe

it's weird how no one can speak positively of FAS or Cliff's efforts without any "brown" comments.

there are many things that people are "calling" these days, but many times it comes out to be user error, especially when few or no other people experience the issue. :)
Eddie's tone was brown. Perhaps its a compliment. :)

the 2nd threshold is called hysteresis. I would love to see that in the gate. I have requested it before. However, that should be brought up in the wish list forum.

Cliff made this post to demonstrate his new dynamics matching he came up with. This thread has started to be hijacked by a different topic.

sorted....

Some part of that discussion annoys me

FW10 is coming
the clip shows an improvement (subtle though,but if you are that far allready there can be no huge steps anymore-in racing the last 3/10th are always the most difficult)
Its an MP3 not a FLAC

But then the huge arguing and the derailing of the thread.Why?

For myself (+ 30 years of playing with breakes) I am happy about the FREE and CONSTANT product improvement.And my only comment is

Thank you Cliff

And a personal derailer-as still tube amp user-Try to tweak a JVM410 if you are cover player !!!-AXE is now FAR faster

Roland

Last edited:
Some part of that discussion annoys me

FW10 is coming
the clip shows an improvement (subtle though,but if you are that far allready there can be no huge steps anymore-in racing the last 3/10th are always the most difficult)
Its an MP3 not a FLAC

But then the huge arguing and the derailing of the thread.Why?

For myself (+ 30 years of playing with breakes) I am happy about the FREE and CONSTANT product improvement.And my only comment is

Thank you Cliff

And a personal derailer-as still tube amp user-Try to tweak a JVM410 if you are cover player !!!-AXE is now FAR faster

Roland

+1!

I challenge everybody to find a company that listens to their customers like FAS does and gives FREE updates on regular times. And above that has the top-of-the-world product!

Cliff doesn't deserve to be threatened like this!

The only thing I can do is be humble and THANK Cliff to make this all possible for us

No need to start a new thread and this will be the last 'derailing'... Because this did the trick:

My personal opinion is not enough input gain...

All of my guitars have low to medium output. Doubling the amp's input trim unleashed the beauty of the beast - now at long last I receive perfect natural tone dying. Please forgive if it took some 'thread derailing' - at least it made a single user very happy - and probably will many others too.

Why it worked better with my tube amps is still a mystery though but I will not spend any more thoughts on that - they will go back to where they belong: in the basement gathering dust... ;-)

Thanks again!

thank you cliff the clip sounds terrific! 2013 is going to be an awesome year!! Happy new year y'all

No need to start a new thread and this will be the last 'derailing'... Because this did the trick:

All of my guitars have low to medium output. Doubling the amp's input trim unleashed the beauty of the beast - now at long last I receive perfect natural tone dying. Please forgive if it took some 'thread derailing' - at least it made a single user very happy - and probably will many others too.

Why it worked better with my tube amps is still a mystery though but I will not spend any more thoughts on that - they will go back to where they belong: in the basement gathering dust... ;-)

Thanks again!

It's nice to see you come back on and acknowledge how the problem has been solved. A lot of people would have kept silent and let the thread continue.

I've been subject to the input trim adjustment, and have to keep a record of where I set it for all my guitars, as there is a slight tone difference to my ears (through gain, not the sound of the guitar itself).

Some blokes are pretty creepy with the enthusiasm, wading through pages of often cringeing back slapping on every release to find out what's going on is getting old, we all know it's good.

I agree to a point. Reading page after page of those can be somewhat tiring. However the more I think about it, it seems most of the 'brown' comments appear to be sincere. There may also be some underlying sense of guilt though. Think of it this way: We keep getting free stuff. Some hardworking people are going out of their way to make this happen. It's really good. I would really like this arrangement to continue as long as possible. I don't take it for granted, and feel the occasional need to express gratitude, but without trying to sound like a brown-noser. It's a natural reaction, but really difficult to express using the written word. Perhaps that's why so many of those comments appear a little 'strange'. Nevertheless, I am as appreciative as they are, chiefly due to having been thoroughly let down in the area of 'updates' by at least one other major manufacturer of 'modelling' gear.

Cliff,
this is awesome -- not just the tones one can get out of the Axe but the effort you put into evolving it, pushing new updates. I never rant like this in forums, but this is just downright awesome. I rely on the Axe live and in studios every week, like many of us do, and have done so for the last 3 years. One of the reasons is the sheer quality of the device, another reason is your involvement in R&D, the constant (and free, even though I would have paid for the system software upgrades) updates and the willingness to participate in this forum. I really cannot understand some of the comments here, as if there actually are products/companies that can compare? This is a game changer and it makes a hell of a difference to many of us.

All the amp models will be updated.

That's awesome! That clip sounded really good!

Sorry again but if all models will be updated, Cliff, please take the recto modern hicut away and make it like the amps presence, then I'll shut up when the rectos are matched :)

Both recordings sounded different to me, but I'd go as far as guessing that the tonestack settings were different somehow. Both sounded great and at this point, I'm not really interested in amp updates; but thanks for the hard work and I will upgrade :)

The first time I listened, I wondered why the same thing was played through the same rig twice.

Then I heard one part was the 5150 II and the other was the Axe-Fx. Knowing that and listening again and concentrating hard, I could tell a very slight difference if I skipped around several times during the track and listened very quickly back and fourth... that difference probably being less significant than nudging any given dial on the amp a notch or two, and probably more in-line with playing the same thing twice through the same rig, or even re-amping the same pre-recorded guitar track through the same rig on different days.

Amazing work, Cliff. Seriously brilliant. Cannot wait for v10.00! Well, I can actually, because v9.02 is also incredible. But when v10.00 comes out it's going to be a big day at my house. :)

With every release the axe sounds better!! I still hear a difference in "the smoothness in distortion"
To my ear I hear a "less harshness of the distortion" on the first clip. I am not sure how to describe it, as words
are only a symbol for what we hear but to try: there is a certain fuzz around the fuzz that to my ear sounds less warm on the second clip.
That being said sound is personal preference.
Intersting one thing I have noticed in this forum is every time Cliff releases a new firmware or product and someone identifies they hear a difference
they are quickly shot down and or bashed. Yet every few months Cliff dramaticaly improves the sound sometimes rather dramatically. If this is the case
than there must have been room to improve the sound to get "closer to the authentic tube sound" whatever that is . Personally There is no other modeler that I have heard that comes as close to perfection as the axe fx. From my perspective it is close enough now to replace all my killer amps when I play live since the convience factor of having so many different sounding amps in a small factor outweighs the subtle differences that remain in tone.

Can't believe some are critical of the enthusiastic, grateful reactions of the majority of the community....THANKS CLIFF! Half the joy of owning an Axe-fx is watching your relentless passion for excellence...

Back
Top Bottom