Ventilation FM3

So do the panels on either side come off? My planned board is going to be pretty tight and gaining an extra inch would be fantastic. I'm using a Pedaltrain and I think it'll line up just right that the fan vent on the bottom will match one of the openings between the rails.
The "panels" do come off but you're not going to want to put anything next to the FM3 that covers the vent holes.

The "panels" do come off but you're not going to want to put anything next to the FM3 that covers the vent holes.

Cool, I wasn't planning on putting anything flush up against it. It would just give me a little more room for a couple of patch cables and a midi cable to fit between the FM3 and a Specular Tempus. The other side of the FM3 would be on the edge of the board so it would be exposed wide open anyway, but taking the panel off would allow me to push it further against the edge of the board.

Removing the side Caps renders the bottom with zero clearance, so you know. No go on a flat surface.

Removing the side Caps renders the bottom with zero clearance, so you know. No go on a flat surface.

I'd have to have an FM3 in my hands to be sure, but eyeballing it, it looks like on a typical Pedaltrain board, due to the large gaps between the rails,if the FM3 is along the top of the board, one of the rail gaps should line right up with the bottom side vent.

Bit what should be the gap/space between an FM3 and a FC6 in a pedalboard?

At least the same opening space as the vent.
If the Fractal logo holes add up to (example) 10 sq cm.
then the opening between units has to equal at least that. (go double the vent opening to be safe - or triple!)
Same with vents on any type of unit.
If the space is less it renders the vent holes less efficient.
You also want a space that will allow for natural air flow (hot air rises ;) )

Last edited:
so wait I'm confused...there are vent holes on the underside (bottom right corner) and the right side? so that means you can't put it down flush on the ground and use it??

so wait I'm confused...there are vent holes on the underside (bottom right corner) and the right side? so that means you can't put it down flush on the ground and use it??

The bottom holes are for an (intake?) fan. The side holes would allow hot air inside the chassis to escape - so no. Don't cover any vent holes

the included feet prop it off the ground a bit. that gives ventilation.

i would imagine taking off the feet and mounting it flush to something isn't a good idea.

the included feet prop it off the ground a bit. that gives ventilation.

i would imagine taking off the feet and mounting it flush to something isn't a good idea.

well there goes my plan to mount it to my existing AX8 board!

So what is the exact screw needed for this extension? Are the screws the same for the FC6 and EV1?

He's talking about the vent holes for the fan on the bottom right of the photo.

Of course. The warning says 'Do Not Block Vent Holes'. Obviously it refers to the ones
right below the text. The arrows are reminders about the vents you can't see while
reading the warning. (nice touch whoever thought of it!)

I pulled the end caps off, reusing the original screws. I use a Mono large pedalboard. To mount, I use 3M Dual Lok.

In my tests, I've run it for 18+ hours (at home, not in sunlight... yet) and never got it to go above 91 degrees F (Setup/Utilities, Page all the way to the right).

7elhzUG.jpg

I use 3M Dual Lok.

This alone will lift a unit 1/8" off a surface.
FM3 is about 11" x 9".
If you use Dual Lok and have it inset from the edges that's way more than enough opening
for the FM3 fan vent. (as long as the 3M ain't covering any holes :cool: )
I LOVE Dual Lok!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom