Ventilation FM3

Tom Morris

Power User
Excuse me if this has been discussed in another thread but I haven't seen it. FM3 has ventilation holes on both sides in the logo and what looks to be a fan in the bottom. Also notice under System Settings Info where the firmware version is listed it has uptime and a temperature read out. Just wondering for those that intend to mount these on a pedal board if it's a no no to take the end caps off and mount flat? I know a lot of pedal boards are ventilated but there are also a lot that are not. I see mention of the ventilation on page 112 says do not block.

IMG_3717.jpgIMG_3718.jpg

I wondered about mounting flat with velcro and covering the bottom? Also, if mounted along side of the FC6, what is the recommended distance between the two?

It's especially interesting as they're developing a footswitch that was supposed to be put exactly on the right of the FM3, thanks for asking

You could mount the FM3 by replacing the screws that hold the end caps with longer ones and use metal straps (hanger strap available at Lowes or Home Depot) to connect it to the board. That is likely what I will do. The added benefit is that it is very secure.

Edit: you can also use bike chain links

Last edited:
if it's a no no to take the end caps off and mount flat?

The bottom of the unit has the answer!
CyZCsCV.jpg

From the forum posts I remember, it was told that the vent works only when extra cooling is necessary.
Fan does a test spin up on boot then off again. Ambient 75F here this morning.

OP, block the vent holes (kidding) and watch that fan start working full time!

Last edited:
I looked for a longer screw at Home Depot....no go. they had 3 and 4mm I think.
Do we need 3.5 mm to accomplish this ? Where do we find those ?

Thanks......but there is no 3.5 mm on that list...if that is what we need.
At least the AX8 was 3.5mm......I am guessing this is the same screw ?

When I mounted my AX8 to my pedalboard, I used the same screws that came with the AX8. I used flexible galvanized pipe hanger: I cut a piece and bent a couple of right angles into it so that the "height" of the final piece was the same height as the rubber feet on the AX8.

It does not appear that the FM3 has "feet", but it may work the same way, if you can get the piece that acts as the "foot" off. I wish I had an FM3 to try it out with....

I'm not home and cannot get a picture of what I did, but the piece of pipe hanger I used was attached to the AX8 between the bottom of the AX8 body and the rubber foot. That way, I could use the same length screw.

yes, i had an AX8..did same thing....but look at picture above will not work the same unless the it slips between the end cap and body....that will marr the paint, no space. Looking to add too bottom of cap corner ...if possible.

The bottom of the unit has the answer!
He's talking about the vent holes for the fan on the bottom right of the photo. He's asking about taking the end caps off to remove the "feet" in order for it to sit flat on a pedal board which would block the fan vent..

OP, get a piece of 1/4" plexiglass/polycorbonate/lexan and velcro to mount to a pedal board. Cut a couple of strips the same width as the "feet" and span side to side. This should allow for the same amount of air to reach the fan vent as if sitting on a floor or desk.

So do the panels on either side come off? My planned board is going to be pretty tight and gaining an extra inch would be fantastic. I'm using a Pedaltrain and I think it'll line up just right that the fan vent on the bottom will match one of the openings between the rails.

Back
Top Bottom