Varying amp gain within scenes

Hello everyone, I am absolutely loving my AX8. Brand new to this but it is going well.

Within a preset is it possible to have 4 scenes where the amp gain increases from clean to crunch to heavy to lead all on the same amp?

If yes, please send me in the right direction for my learning on how to do it.

Cheers Rich

You can have a X and a Y amp and it could be the same with two different settings, but I don't think you can have more possibilities about changing amp gain with a switch. You can use an expression pedal to control the gain on the fly or, like I do, having one clean (X) and one crunch (Y) sound with the amp and then having two other gain settings by adding drive pedals.

You can attach a scene controller to amp gain, then you can have gain selected per scene. Then you should probably attach the other scene controller to the cab level. That will allow you to get the levels evened out between the scenes.

I also sometimes set up a filter block in front of the amp block. With the amp block set to edge of breakup, I can get cleans with a negative boost in the filter block and I can get Hi-gain with a positive boost. A peaking boost and the hi and lo cuts allow me to shape the three different sounds. In this case, I use a filter block after the amp block to match the levels between my sounds.

As an example of the scene controller approach, here is a preset, where scenes 1-4 are the JM45 with varying gain levels, and scenes 5-8 are the Brit Silver with varying gain levels.

Attachments

• Brit Silver JM45.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 20
You can also try it with just one scene controller, and adjust the min/max values for the modifiers on amp input gain (inverse on cab level).

Using Scene Controllers for gain and MV is one of the best features of the Fractals - I strongly recommend getting to know Scene Controllers. On nearly every patch I use Scene 1 Controller (not to be confused with Scene 1) for Gain and Scene 2 Controller for MV. Works like a charm, saves a ton of CPU, and the benefit are many. Easier to set vol levels, too. That's big.

Using Scene Controllers for gain and MV is one of the best features of the Fractals - I strongly recommend getting to know Scene Controllers. On nearly every patch I use Scene 1 Controller (not to be confused with Scene 1) for Gain and Scene 2 Controller for MV. Works like a charm, saves a ton of CPU, and the benefit are many. Easier to set vol levels, too. That's big.
Do you have an example preset you can share?

Yep - I just discovered them myself and boy they are useful. Setting them can be a little tedious, but once you get the hang of it they work very well for varying the amp gains and volumes from scene to scene. If they could be adjusted from within AX8-Edit as well, that would be great!

Do you have an example preset you can share?
Here you go - it's my go-to Mesa patch. Low gain, medium then high for Scenes 1-3 (I only use 3 scenes). Scene 3 should have a different delay and by ~3 dB higher for solo boost. This way I don't need to use a filter for solo boost. As I mentioned this is a great way to set levels without taking more CPU. Scene Controller 1 should be gain and Scene Controller 2 should be master volume. Have fun!

Attachments

• 7-8_Mesa rhythm.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 16
As an example of the scene controller approach, here is a preset, where scenes 1-4 are the JM45 with varying gain levels, and scenes 5-8 are the Brit Silver with varying gain l

Hello everyone, I am absolutely loving my AX8. Brand new to this but it is going well.

Within a preset is it possible to have 4 scenes where the amp gain increases from clean to crunch to heavy to lead all on the same amp?

If yes, please send me in the right direction for my learning on how to do it.

Cheers Rich
thank you, cheers

Yep - I just discovered them myself and boy they are useful. Setting them can be a little tedious, but once you get the hang of it they work very well for varying the amp gains and volumes from scene to scene. If they could be adjusted from within AX8-Edit as well, that would be great!
Yes, it's good to know that way.

I'm new to this AX8 world and I would be glad if I could find the right way to use AX8 with you guys already learned so far.

Back
Top Bottom