Various Noise Issues in 4CM

marshall2553

Power User
I have a couple of noise issues that are bugging me. My setup is an FX8 mk2 using the 4CM with a Friedman BE-50, Humbuster cables going to the amp's input and effects return. Both the amp and FX8 are plugged into the same power strip and I'm not using any other effects. The FX8's power cable is also plugged into an Ebtech Hum-X. I'm using the FX8's relay to switch channels on the amp via a TRS cable.

- My first problem is a hiss that I can't get rid of. It does not sound like ground loop hum, more like a white noise static hiss. It's still present with no guitar cable plugged into the FX8. Input and output pads are set to 6dB and post level is -10dBV. Dropping the post level definitely helped (and oddly requires a reboot to take effect). The input gate and a gate block in the post chain help, but I'm not too fond of using them. The amp is dead silent without the FX8, even when using other effects in the loop. The hiss isn't terrible, just loud enough to be noticeable. Not sure if anything can be done about it, but I'd love some suggestions.

- The second issue is an audible pop through my speakers when I use the relays to change channels. My relay settings are configured using scenes and they are set to latching. The channels change correctly but I get a nice pop when they do. Using the Friedman footswitch and the same TRS cable there is no noise when I change channels.

I have a couple of noise issues that are bugging me. My setup is an FX8 mk2 using the 4CM with a Friedman BE-50, Humbuster cables going to the amp's input and effects return. Both the amp and FX8 are plugged into the same power strip and I'm not using any other effects. The FX8's power cable is also plugged into an Ebtech Hum-X. I'm using the FX8's relay to switch channels on the amp via a TRS cable.

- My first problem is a hiss that I can't get rid of. It does not sound like ground loop hum, more like a white noise static hiss. It's still present with no guitar cable plugged into the FX8. Input and output pads are set to 6dB and post level is -10dBV. Dropping the post level definitely helped (and oddly requires a reboot to take effect). The input gate and a gate block in the post chain help, but I'm not too fond of using them. The amp is dead silent without the FX8, even when using other effects in the loop. The hiss isn't terrible, just loud enough to be noticeable. Not sure if anything can be done about it, but I'd love some suggestions.

- The second issue is an audible pop through my speakers when I use the relays to change channels. My relay settings are configured using scenes and they are set to latching. The channels change correctly but I get a nice pop when they do. Using the Friedman footswitch and the same TRS cable there is no noise when I change channels.

What happens in true bypass?
Have you tried to set input and output for unity gain?

Use the Hum-X on the power cord of the amp, not the FX8......

See if that helps.....

I had similar issues one of three amps, while the other 2-amps worked w/ no issues at all. The Hum-X on the amps power cord fixed the white noise/ground loop.

I’d contact Dave about the pop since this is a new amp model......& or try a totally different cable here, just to see what happens.

X

Last edited:
If what X-Mann says hasn't helped, put a balanced (TRS) (or hum buster) cable between the amp FX Loop send and the FX8 "From Amp Fx Send" input .

For the popping, switch the amp off and the FX8.

Switch the amp on in stand by and then the FX8. On the FX8 switch the channels on the amp repeatedly for about 10 or 12 times, then switch the amp on (off stand by) - this should reduce the popping.

Most amps pop - some more than others, but when the amp is at gig levels, you can't hear it. If it is a real PiTA then the other option would be to use a Mini Amp Gizmo and switch the amp via midi, but its more $$$ to do.

Also check your loop send level isn't too low and your compensating for the level via the FX8.

No, I use one I made for my snake
Do you get any noise at all when switching channels or is it perfectly silent? I just tried with both the BE50 footswitch and the channel selector on the amp and I still get a slight pop that is most noticeable when going from the BE -> HBE channel. So it's actually not the FX8. It's not loud at all even when the amp is cranked, just wondering if it's normal.

Do you get any noise at all when switching channels or is it perfectly silent? I just tried with both the BE50 footswitch and the channel selector on the amp and I still get a slight pop that is most noticeable when going from the BE -> HBE channel. So it's actually not the FX8. It's not loud at all even when the amp is cranked, just wondering if it's normal.
Yea, it’s more of a slight snap...that’s normal.

Back
Top Bottom