Variax Guitars & Axe-Fx? - Worth Convenience Live?

I wanted to discuss any version of the Line 6 Variax guitars and what players think with their Axe Fx. I am awaiting a Variax Standard - I have a diverse collection of guitars but want to simplify gigs. I play an Axe Fx 3.

Does the Variax provide usefulness live to replace bringing many guitars/tunings/acoustics to a club gig or small local festival.

Are the guitars sensible to make the gig simpler gear wise and to travel light?

i think the Variax concept is cool.

but i personally don't think the sounds are "high quality" enough depending on your level of discernment. the acoustics all have a "honk" that i have to EQ differently for each model. i think the real pickups sound better than the modeled electric sounds.

some people use it to great success, so it depends on how it works with your setup. but i borrowed a variax for a week and really didn't like it. a duo partner also bought one and we were a bit underwhelmed at volume as well.

because all the modeling is based off the piezo pickup system, i think there's a similar sound to each model that i kinda don't like.

try it, but make sure you can return it.

i personally prefer to use a regular electric guitar with the pickups i enjoy, and a acoustic guitar piezo system for acoustic sounds. because it's tuned JUST for the acoustic sound, i think it sounds way better than a generic piezo signal feeding the modeled sounds.

just my opinion. i'm not THAT picky when it comes to tone, but i do have a threshold. i just didn't like it at all.

Kind of in the same boat. I have a new gig where tuning is becoming an issue, standard, Eb, Eb drop d, D, drop B.... currently using the virtual capo, and a few guitars to cover it but it’s beginning to be guitar change nightmare.

About to pull the trigger on a variax as well.

the alternate tuning thing is really cool, but you have to use one of the modeled sounds. if you can find one you like, it may work out. but i really struggled.

I have a Variax Standard and a JTV-59. I've never been of the sound of the models or altered tunings. There is some latency and palm mutes don't sound right. Therefore I use my regular guitars for E, Drop D then use the Axe-FX to pitch shift. I'll only use the Variax for less common tuning (DADGAD, etc).

My band is planning to play QOTSA No One Knows and the variax sounded so bad that I just physically tuned it down. :)

I have a like new 89F if you're in the market :) The idea is great and the guitar itself is pretty dang good. As much as I love the sound of other people playing a tele, strat, etc, I'm just to attached to the sound of my old BC Rich Warlock. As mentioned earlier, the stock pickups sound very good. My Variax just sits in a case. Either using one of @Moke acoustic patches or a modified version I'm pretty happy with the sound I get on stage with my Warlock (I always love the look on peoples faces when they are looking for an acoustic and see a Neon drip Warlock).

I gave up on the Variax tunings and just use it for the acoustic setting and passive pickups. When using it to alter tunings you loose the ability to do pick squeals pinch harmonic being the strings are being picked up by the indavidual string saddle.

Long-time Variax user: It’s a Swiss Army knife; not intended for use when you have a proper screw driver or wine opener in reach. I have a lot of guitars, and the Variax rounds out a few oddballs I can’t justify owning just for those moments I want to blow the dust off a Rickenbacker 12 string or Coral sitar.

The Variax does not (nor is it intended to) replace my personal favorite guitars. But sometimes I’d rather go somewhere with one guitar that can cover the bases of several.

I have a 69 but rarely play it; I don't think I've ever used it for a gig. I agree the passive pickups are better than most of the models - the only one I really like is the LP. I've mostly kept it for the odd instruments (dobro, banjo, sitar, Rick). It does fit a need, and does an ok job, it's just not a need I have very often. I also find the neck too chunky for me.

I haven't ever really needed multiple tunings, although if I did then it'd sure be convenient. But if I'm going to only use one alternate tuning (like open G for Stones and Black Crowes) then I'd rather bring one of my regular guitars anyway.

When I got started gigging again after nearly 3 decades of just playing at home, I was just using a Variax 600 into a POD XT Live. I thought the versatility would be perfect for playing electric guitar with an acoustic band. The guitar played nicely, and it was handy having a modeled sitar for Norwegian Wood, an acoustic guitar, and a variety of single and double coil guitars. After a few months of doing, that I happened to buy a used MIM Strat (my first Strat ever), and the difference in sound and feel was huge. Before long, I was bringing the Strat, one of several humbucker guitars, and the Variax for the novelty/acoustic stuff. Then the pickup in the Variax started having intermittent issues, so I ended up getting a Roland GR-55 synth and mounting the GK-3 pickup on the Variax. These days (and a few Axe-Fx units later), I still use the Variax, but only as a platform for the GR-55. The synth gives me a workable acoustic guitar (even with altered tunings), strings, piano, and minor electric guitar parts. For all the other guitar parts, I bring a couple of Strats (one tuned E and the other tuned to Eb), and a couple of other humbucker guitars.

I have the latest Variax Standard. It's actually become the guitar I love to hate though. For gigging, Yes! ..I play it a lot because it's a thing of convenience, but it doesn't sound nearly as good as any of my other guitars - but then it can do most stuff they can ... kinda-sorta ... passably.

It's just convenient.

Like the other guy says, It's like the Swiss Army Knife of guitars.. Nothing that will hold-up to real critical use - in this case: recording, or when one other single guitar will just do, but it's convenient as all hell to have one in your possession when you don't want to drag around six guitars.

The custom presets you can set via software are nice, as you can have - just as an example - an acoustic programmed to the neck position of the five-way switch, a LP bridge set to the neck/middle position of the five-way switch, a Strat bridge pickup programmed to the middle position of the five-way switch etc. so switching guitars/pickup combinations can be incredibly convenient.

It doesn't sound as good as ANY of the guitar "types" it models though. My-major gripe is that it lacks touch/feel string definition with everything it models - but switching to magnetic (bypassing the modelling) you get that all nuance back.. ... also the acoustics sound cheesy to my ears - which is a shame, because that's why I bought it...but, y'know, it'll do okay for live work.

Love the tunings and virtual capo.. Great for requests and covers, which is what I get roped into doing quite a lot.

Like I say, I play my Variax a Lot, but only because it IS so convenient.

Just for example, the other day I was doing an a minor blues thing and so I grabbed a Les Paul and it floored me how good that guitar sounded compared to the Variax.. :) ... I got feeling back... I immediately connected with the music and the guitar.. And that's the thing with the Variax. It's convenient as all hell, but it just doesn't provide the detail and nuance of that which it emulates.

JMO.. YMMV.

For all it's faults and my incessant nit-picking, I'm Very happy I bought it.

(Edited because I'm crap at da-Eng-a-lish).

Last edited:
Thank you all for your advice. I gave the Line 6 Variax Standard a chance and it's already on its return journey to the store after 1 day. It was disappointing to say the least. It was a bland guitar to begin with - even with the magnetic pickups - but that was to be expected. The quality was low and the plastic accessories emphasized that theme.

The models were interesting but bland. The plastic accessories were prevalent from the flimsy awkward charger to the cabling. The frets were sharp and the guitar struggled to hold tuning. The G string was doing some weird vibrations not common to a simple action situation. I was intrigued by the concept but there is no way I will use that guitar in my Pink Floyd tribute. I had to remind myself this was for convenience but I am happy now to know I at least gave it a try. It may suit some situations for some players but not me.

The acoustic sims were poor IMHO. I will use my Alex Lifeson Gibson Les Paul with piezo for the show and bring a Nashville High strung guitar for Hey You and Comfortably Numb. I can do the show with 2 guitars instead of 5 and travel light with my Axe 3 and FC6.

The cost of return shipping was small but I learned how GREAT my Axe Fx 3 sounds with a high quality instrument compared to a low end modeling guitar. It proved to me how important the guitar itself still is with the Fractal or anything for that matter. Maybe one day someone will learn how to do a better job modeling a guitar but I am sure this is far into the future.

Thank you all for your comments - they were helpful and the most accurate out there.

Cheers

Wow, that's a shame that their quality went down. My 89F is a quality guitar, it was the modeling that wasn't exactly what I wanted.

Wow, that's a shame that their quality went down. My 89F is a quality guitar, it was the modeling that wasn't exactly what I wanted.

This is the Standard for $899. The 89F looks like a better quality analog guitar with the same modeling. The Standard played and felt sub cheapest Squier to me. I don't like to bash gear but this instrument was disappointing to me. @warlockII I just can't believe these youtube videos of studio players using this on a recording? Maybe to demo and then bring in a real deal on tracks. Who knows. Cheers

JTV 59 owner here. I agree with the general consensus that the modelling is not exactly brilliant especially the 'big 2' aka the Gibbos and Fenders.

Some of the 12 strings are fun as long as you're down in the mix - but beware ..... the latency increases with the more complex pitch changing modes (open tunings).

I actually like the big old baseball neck profile and the magnetic pickups are holding up ok .... all I did was put in locking tuners. I use it at home or quiet band rehearsals sometimes ..... not a live guitar for me.

Expect the battery memory to erode quickly and the charging cradle is a sad pathetic thing

The JTV-59 is a surprising good guitar without the modeling. Better quality and playability than the 69/Standard models.

Line 6 and Roland aren’t getting the job done. We need another company to take the lead on guitar modeling. When is the Fractal Axe coming out?

Thank you all for your advice. I gave the Line 6 Variax Standard a chance and it's already on its return journey to the store after 1 day. It was disappointing to say the least. It was a bland guitar to begin with - even with the magnetic pickups - but that was to be expected. The quality was low and the plastic accessories emphasized that theme.

The models were interesting but bland. The plastic accessories were prevalent from the flimsy awkward charger to the cabling. The frets were sharp and the guitar struggled to hold tuning. The G string was doing some weird vibrations not common to a simple action situation. I was intrigued by the concept but there is no way I will use that guitar in my Pink Floyd tribute. I had to remind myself this was for convenience but I am happy now to know I at least gave it a try. It may suit some situations for some players but not me.

The acoustic sims were poor IMHO. I will use my Alex Lifeson Gibson Les Paul with piezo for the show and bring a Nashville High strung guitar for Hey You and Comfortably Numb. I can do the show with 2 guitars instead of 5 and travel light with my Axe 3 and FC6.

The cost of return shipping was small but I learned how GREAT my Axe Fx 3 sounds with a high quality instrument compared to a low end modeling guitar. It proved to me how important the guitar itself still is with the Fractal or anything for that matter. Maybe one day someone will learn how to do a better job modeling a guitar but I am sure this is far into the future.

Thank you all for your comments - they were helpful and the most accurate out there.

Cheers

Playing Pink Floyd with only a Les Paul and an acoustic? So besides the odd acoustic song you're only going to play the solo to Another Brick in the Wall Pt. II? :p;)

I have a JTV-59 that gathers dust mostly. The modeled sounds and alternate tunings aren't good enough for recording, so I will use it for songwriting or putting down scratch tracks but nothing I'll ever keep. I hope we get an updated model at some point that improves the sound quality to a great degree, but I'm not holding my breath. It's interesting that Steve Howe continues to keep one of the older models in his arsenal and still uses it live. The acoustic sounds honky as some have mentioned, but I don't think most of the audience notices.

Playing Pink Floyd with only a Les Paul and an acoustic? So besides the odd acoustic song you're only going to play the solo to Another Brick in the Wall Pt. II? :p;)

Yup. I used to bring Strat Standard, Strat in Open G, 12 string, Tele Down 1 step, Nylon, Nashville High Strung Acoustic = 6 guitars. Talkbox, talkbox mic, analog pedalboard, Hiwatt 50 + 4 X 12 Cabinet.

Now >> Axe Fx 3, FC 6, EV1 & Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess w/ Piezo + 1 High Strung Nashville.

The Axe Fx III has made my life so easy and it sounds amazing. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom