Variac effects block.

Do you want to see this feature?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
+1. Although it does not need to be its own block, because it would already be in the advanced amp geek parameters in the AMP modules.

May I please find out who voted no and their reasoning? Such a negation of an idea seems more whack than one of the rescued miners in Chile who is eager to go back to the mines very soon.

Because theoretically, lets assume this dial for the virtual operating voltage adjustment were in the unit already... well then a wish for such a feature to NOT be in there is more bizarre than somebody going to KFC and telling them they should not have a certain ingredient in the flavor of that skin.

A variac adjuster would only bring the Fractal Company closer to KFC-like recognition. Therefore I need solid reasoning as to those who voted no and why? Why not have the ability to shape more different types of distortion waveforms?

(BTW approval for new credit card went through, ordering Ultra)

Tone_Freak said:
May I please find out who voted no and their reasoning? Such a negation of an idea seems more whack than one of the rescued miners in Chile who is eager to go back to the mines very soon.

Because theoretically, lets assume this dial for the virtual operating voltage adjustment were in the unit already... well then a wish for such a feature to NOT be in there is more bizarre than somebody going to KFC and telling them they should not have a certain ingredient in the flavor of that skin.

A variac adjuster would only bring the Fractal Company closer to KFC-like recognition. Therefore I need solid reasoning as to those who voted no and why? Why not have the ability to shape more different types of distortion waveforms?

(BTW approval for new credit card went through, ordering Ultra)
I guess people who voted 'no' would rather see Cliff's time spent on other improvements. I can't think of any other reason... (I'm all up for it of course ;) )

Tone_Freak said:

I see no reason why anyone who does not want a Variac model should need to explain themselves to you or anyone else. I just submitted a wish of my own. I think it's important. But if someone else doesn't want it, they don't want it. Calling them 'whack' and 'bizarre' for not agreeing with my wish would be childish. Don't you agree?

And I completely understand why some of the miners will return to their life-long careers. I don't think they are 'whack'.

I don't see a need for a "No" option in most polls. A "Yes" count alone is an indication of how many people are interested in a feature without any negativity. Unfortunately, you must have at least two options.

You gotta appreciate a guy who avoids using the standard, overly abused, and seldom helpful car analogy, but yeah....KFC? Come on.

When I visit forums, my biggest Wish List is that analogies would be banned entirely on every internet forum in existence. lol.

I was on an audio/video forum the other day and a guy was trying to relate video equipment to hamburgers. Spare me.

Noticed that since your request for the 'no-sayers' to come out more people actually voted 'no' :lol: (without giving a reason)

In a poll there's no need to give reason why anyone voted the way they did IMHO.

Then perhaps what I am saying is that a poll is not needed for such a request.

But if owners of the unit do not want to be able to shape the distortion type, then I guess they should also start a poll stating: "vote yes or no for who is in favor of taking away the amp geek section of the amp block". LOL.

Where in reality, the missing variac dial is a fundamentally missing part of the amp geek section where you shape the amps sound. And would have a much greater effect on the tone than some of the existing knobs in the amp geek section.

This fundamental element has been stated over and over in many other variac threads:

B-Kamps stated:

Option (3): "adjusting the supply to the whole damn amp (best variac approximation)."

"Option (3) will significantly change the feel and sound of the amp and likely have the most utility."

Radley states:

"I think this would be a very useful parameter, whether called Variax, Power supply voltage, etc. The sound of a 'starved plate' circuit is rather unique, and it is part of what makes some amps sound so different. I remember an early Mesa Mk ll circuit that used a 1 meg plate resistor on the main drive/distortion tube - that plate was certainly starved, but it sounded very good! (seemed to allow the note attacks to come through stronger & produced less fizziness)"

Tone_Freak said:
Then perhaps what I am saying is that a poll is not needed for such a request.

But if owners of the unit do not want to be able to shape the distortion type, then I guess they should also start a poll stating: "vote yes or no for who is in favor of taking away the amp geek section of the amp block". LOL.

Where in reality, the missing variac dial is a fundamentally missing part of the amp geek section where you shape the amps sound. And would have a much greater effect on the tone than some of the existing knobs in the amp geek section.

This fundamental element has been stated over and over in many other variac threads I was not even aware about which were started by other members.

Disinterest in a variac is not equivalent to a request to remove amp geek parameters. The 'reality' of a variac being a 'fundamentally missing' parameter is, in reality, your opinion. The pattern persists.

If it is added, I will turn the knob and set it to where it sounds best for the patch. If this position is not "neutral", then hooray for the variac.

I like the way the OP phrased it...a variac might be "good times"....no self-evident truth that it is an essential missing parameter. That's what it boils down to for me. If it makes the Axe more enjoyable, I'm all for it. I don't expect it to be magic though. While I have experimented with the advanced parameters, the default values usually work best for me.

P.S. You have very strong opinions on what the Axe-FX needs for someone who has yet to even try one.

Tone_Freak said:
Can't remember if it was on the old forum, but there have actually been people who wanted that :lol:

steadystate said:
Disinterest in a variac is not equivalent to a request to remove amp geek parameters. The 'reality' of a variac being a 'fundamentally missing' parameter is, in reality, your opinion. The pattern persists.

The only persisting pattern is the fact that you are offering the responses which show your lack of capacity for understanding what certain amp mods do and what the more drastic amp mods are that alter the characteristics of the distortion.

That crucially missing parameter is a huge distortion mod, and any accurate replication of what it does in reality would be much more fundamental than some of the other more subtle parameters that already exist in that section. So I have once again demonstrated that this parameter would be much more fundamental. Once again you fail to provide any reason to question that fact - which is true regardless of who states it or who has an opinion on it, either for or against. Your wishful thinking will not take away from the validity of that.

If it is added, I will turn the knob and set it to where it sounds best for the patch. If this position is not "neutral", then hooray for the variac.

LOL! You are reversing categories of what is considered an objective fact and what is a subjective tonal preference. Because if you take a person who lowers the dial and enjoys that sound and you compare that with a person who increases the dial and enjoys that higher variac setting instead - neither one of those is objectively "best" for the patch - its what type of the sound the person prefers. THAT is what is subjective and opinionated based on a persons preference. Whereas you believe that the addition of a variac dial would only change the tone fundamentally in my "opinion only" - you wrongly state that as my subjective opinion - a statement which you are getting straight from the crackpipe. Nothing could be further from the truth... the Variac is a drastic mod of an amp and would be drastic on the Axe if the mod is just as accurately modeled - and would serve as an extremely useful utility for tons of people going for different types of distortion. What makes you so special for the unit to forever always provide only one operating voltage in the default and no mod dial? You are very arrogant if you believe the Axe must only cater to your needs and others who also have not even an amateur knowledge of amp mod characteristics.

a variac might be "good times"....no self-evident truth that it is an essential missing parameter. That's what it boils down to for me.

Again, the Variac is a drastic mod of an amp changing the operating voltage and would be therefore very drastic if the mod is just as accurately modeled as drastic in the Axe as well - and would serve as an extremely useful utility for tons of people going for different types of distortion.

If it makes the Axe more enjoyable, I'm all for it. I don't expect it to be magic though.

From that you imply that you have no experience with knowing what the changed characteristics of modded amps are at all then, since you would have by now been able to at least provide some explanation of the sound of the mod that a variac changes does - but you have fallen short and since you have no idea what a variac mod does, so why are you even posting comments in this thread? You have no business in a discussion like this when you have no idea what you are even doing regarding the amp mod section of the unit, not to mention no idea what you are even blabbing about regarding this topic. LOL!

While I have experimented with the advanced parameters, the default values usually work best for me.

Well obviously a person would have to know what those advanced parameters do to the sound of an amp and how they interact with each other. So it is no wonder why you find your best results with the defaults. I recommend you continue to stick to those defaults.

And btw, even if you did know what the hell you were talking about regarding the amp geek mod section, even if you still preferred the default values - THATs what is a persons "opinion". But it is not my opinion that the variac is a drastic amp mod, and it is NOT my opinion that such is a fundamentally tone altering mod.

P.S. You have very strong opinions on what the Axe-FX needs for someone who has yet to even try one.

You have very invalid assumptions about who has tried the Axe FX and who has not.

Tone_Freak said:
The only persisting pattern is the fact that you are offering the responses which show your lack of capacity for understanding what certain amp mods do and what the more drastic amp mods are that alter the characteristics of the distortion.
It’s unfortunate that you consider opinions contrary to your own to be based on the other person’s “lack of capacity for understanding”; not just a lack of understanding, but a lack of the capacity to understand. Most people I’ve seen on this forum would never even consider posting something like this.
That crucially missing parameter is a huge distortion mod, and any accurate replication of what it does in reality would be much more fundamental than some of the other more subtle parameters that already exist in that section. So I have once again demonstrated that this parameter would be much more fundamental.
Try reading my post again. A variac will affect the tone. That is a fact I have not disputed. That the variac is a crucially missing parameter is your opinion; a valid opinion, but an opinion. You have demonstrated that you have an opinion about the variac.
Once again you fail to provide any reason to question that fact - which is true regardless of who states it or who has an opinion on it, either for or against. Your wishful thinking will not take away from the validity of that.
Again, I do not question whether a variac will affect the tone. I question your opinion that its omission is a major deficiency. I do not “wish” the variac to have no effect on tone, or to have it kept out of the Axe-FX.
LOL! You are reversing categories of what is considered an objective fact and what is a subjective tonal preference. Because if you take a person who lowers the dial and enjoys that sound and you compare that with a person who increases the dial and enjoys that higher variac setting instead - neither one of those is objectively "best" for the patch - its what type of the sound the person prefers. THAT is what is subjective and opinionated based on a persons preference.
I am not reversing fact and opinion. We are in agreement on this point. You are either misreading my post or intentionally manufacturing an argument. Both I think.
Whereas you believe that the addition of a variac dial would only change the tone fundamentally in my "opinion only" - you wrongly state that as my subjective opinion - a statement which you are getting straight from the crackpipe.
Yet again, this is not what I posted. I do not question whether a variac will affect the tone. I only say that whether it is a critically needed parameter is a matter of opinion. Your flippant accusation that I smoke crack is disgusting.
Nothing could be further from the truth... the Variac is a drastic mod of an amp and would be drastic on the Axe if the mod is just as accurately modeled - and would serve as an extremely useful utility for tons of people going for different types of distortion.
For some people, this would be true. Others would not find it so useful.
What makes you so special for the unit to forever always provide only one operating voltage in the default and no mod dial? You are very arrogant if you believe the Axe must only cater to your needs and others who also have not even an amateur knowledge of amp mod characteristics.
I am not special, nor do I provide anything. Cliff Chase provides everything (thanks Cliff!!!!). We are just two virtually insignificant users. I don’t believe, and have never suggested, that the Axe should cater only to my needs. And you have now labeled me as “arrogant” and “less-than-amateur” for things I never said or implied. I think anyone who *expected* FAS to cater to their needs could be considered arrogant.
From that you imply that you have no experience with knowing what the changed characteristics of modded amps are at all then, since you would have by now been able to at least provide some explanation of the sound of the mod that a variac changes does - but you have fallen short and since you have no idea what a variac mod does, so why are you even posting comments in this thread?
What I imply and what you infer are in no way related. And now I have ‘no experience’ and ‘have no idea what a variac does’. Both statements are incorrect.
You have no business in a discussion like this when you have no idea what you are even doing regarding the amp mod section of the unit, not to mention no idea what you are even blabbing about regarding this topic. LOL!
Perhaps you should petition to become a moderator. Then you could prune all the ‘blabbing’ of those ‘who have no idea what they are even doing’, or worse, disagree with you.
Well obviously a person would have to know what those advanced parameters do to the sound of an amp and how they interact with each other. So it is no wonder why you find your best results with the defaults. I recommend you continue to stick to those defaults.
While I sometimes adjust the low cut, sag, bias, and tone stack parameters, most of the advanced parameters work well for me at their default values. Your statement that users who use the default value are ignorant of a parameter’s purpose is incorrect. Your tone comes across as self-superior and condescending.
And btw, even if you did know what the hell you were talking about regarding the amp geek mod section, even if you still preferred the default values - THATs what is a persons "opinion". But it is not my opinion that the variac is a drastic amp mod, and it is NOT my opinion that such is a fundamentally tone altering mod.
Yes, as I have said all along, the first sentence is my opinion. Your last sentence stems from your poor reading comprehension or propensity towards argument, as I have never stated otherwise. You’re statement that those who disagree “don’t know what the hell they are talking about” is unfortunate, but at this point, no surprise.
You have very invalid assumptions about who has tried the Axe FX and who has not.
If you have tried the Axe, I stand corrected. Your posts from September 27 to present seemed to indicate you have never tried one…

“My final questions before i also order, because its one thing to to be the superior modeler out there, but can this unit be used on a professional recording? Because recently I was told that this unit is great live and "ok" in the studio. But I thought it was supposed to be excellent in the studio too is it not?”

“In other words. Will this unit give a sound as clear and as big as if one were recording real cabs inside million dollar studios? Can i really expect to have that million dollar sound? Because for only $2000 US, should i really expect for a unit to offer that magic when you put mics in front of cabs going into the best of tube rack pres and tube compressors and tube EQs worth many thousands of dollars? I mean is it a stretch to believe that for something only costing 2 grand to be at that same quality as the major studio sound? Is this really true?”

“In addition, I am trying to find out in other threads if I can alter the symmetry of the distortion waveform with editing any internals of the amp like bias and variac.”

No post from then till now suggests you have ever touched one. I was wrong to assume this was true, even if I was correct and your posts are based on pure speculation about the Axe. I am sure you will have one very shortly. I look forward to your insights.

I won’t be responding to any more of your posts. Further communication with you would be neither constructive nor enjoyable. Your post disputes points I never made and has no fewer than ten personal attacks based on those non-existent points. I believe you are annoyed that, in the amp sim request thread, I pointed out your habit of stating your opinions with phrases such as “It is a fact that”, and you’re retaliating. So be it. I guess I fired the first shot, so I’ll let you fire the last.

FWIW, I’m an EE and know what a variac does. I’ve used it many times to test low voltage equipment at a previous job, and brought it home to try on my amps after reading a Van Halen interview. I know many people on this forum have more experience using the variac in this application. For them, and for those users who would simply enjoy a variac model, I hope you get it at some point, along with a few things I’d like as well. Good times.

Yup, me too. Kudos to you for staying so well behaved, Steady.

Tone_Freak said:
+1. Although it does not need to be its own block, because it would already be in the advanced amp geek parameters in the AMP modules.
+1 but as Tone Freak said... put it in the Advanced section...

I would suggest that it is possible to get pretty much the same effect as a variac with the advanced parameters that exist. I haven't thought too much about it and don't plan to. I am just not into tube electronics like I used to be; but, I can pretty much match my marshall that has 360 vdc on the plates with the axe. 360 vdc is low for a 50 watt marshall and would represent the effects that a variac would have. One hint is that you actually get less sag with a lower voltage.

However, I did vote for a variac control. Why not?

steadystate said:
If you have tried the Axe, I stand corrected. Your posts from September 27 to present seemed to indicate you have never tried one…

No post from then till now suggests you have ever touched one. I was wrong to assume this was true, even if I was correct and your posts are based on pure speculation about the Axe. I am sure you will have one very shortly. I look forward to your insights.

Is ordering something and buying something the only way to try something? Excuse me, there is a person here locally who owns one and I got to hear it and try it out a bit. Yes I liked the basic signal and effects, but I did not want to impose editing his unit. You really spend a whole lot of effort looking whey too far into my posts - and have not arrived at any reasonable end with assuming i have never tried one. Do you practice this with other people?

And I still do ask those questions of whether the unit is good enough quality to match a major studio because although I thought it sounded good, I did not have a pro CD to compare it to.

I won’t be responding to any more of your posts. Further communication with you would be neither constructive nor enjoyable. Your post disputes points I never made and has no fewer than ten personal attacks based on those non-existent points. I believe you are annoyed that, in the amp sim request thread, I pointed out your habit of stating your opinions with phrases such as “It is a fact that”, and you’re retaliating. So be it. I guess I fired the first shot, so I’ll let you fire the last.

All I am going to say for now is that you are denying arguments you made which claimed "whats best for the patch" - clearly putting that as if such an idea were objective. And from the record you came across as indicating that the variac would not have as much of an effect on the amp as drastically as I claimed when the contrary is true. This is what I can conclude from your intitial challenges as invalid. The record speaks for itself.

FWIW, I’m an EE and know what a variac does.

Even if you did know the physical theory or math behind what it does, you did not show any indication to knowing what the effect on the audio signal would be in terms of sound characteristics. The record is available for all to see. And plus you have manufactured much of your response with argument-shifting tactics so I am not interested in pursuing yourother previous points to my response. Because then you would just continue that conduct for many many pages. If you think the crackpipe comment was meant as an insult then I take it back. But thats a common thing to say on forums these days and no one takes it seriously anymore. And it is not even considered a violation of most forum policies to say it that way. As you have admitted, you have taken all kinds of shots at my posts. In the amp sim requests, the models I indicated were high quality caused you to say I was flouting my opinion as fact. Why did my indication of those amps as good quality insult you so much? Big deal, let people think whatever they wasnt about amps! LOL. If I said that it is fact that the Valvestate and the Randall pre Dime used are high quality preamps for distortion - big freaking deal. Whey too much sensitivity on forums - which is why I have gotten out of the habit of participating in just over 10 forums... I am down to 3 now. Thank goodness.

As for the first comment I made bout "lack of capacity for understanding. I can assure that was a type-o where I meant to say lack of understanding what the natrue of the effect of the variac model on distortion. If you look at this overall thread, you will have no reason to believe I really meant "lack of capacity". Perhaps there is a chance I said it in the heat of the moment (i dont remember exactly but I think it was a type-o) - but i surely thought you werre being extremely unfair because of the fact that every one knows that even a program like NI Guitar Rig has the variac mod - as they chose it among other 3 modification models to prioritize first in their program. Variac, Bias, Sag, and Response - the most common mods.

steadystate said:
I am sure you will have one very shortly. I look forward to your insights.

Not quite yet. Im giving the new Line 6 HD stuff that just came out a chance. Apparently there is huge hype over the new developments at lin 6. I would be an idiot if I was not patient at this point considering prices differences. Apparently L6 has gotten their act together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom