Variac 100% Voltage Value Questions

ApocalypticKatana

Experienced
What is the value in voltage of the variac setting at a 100% in the advanced amp page?

Extra questions:

-Since I wanted to emulate a rectifier running at 190 volts (220volts max) would it be the same as running at 103~ volts (120 volts max) sound character wise???

these are ~ 86.3% of max values

-If so , if 100% of the variac is 120 volts would running it at 154%~ have that underpowered sound character that 190 volts (max 220) have?

I haven’t tried it yet but I assume it’ll be louder and maybe “overpowered” sound?? Not the amplifier dying kind of sound I’m going for.

You lost me with 120 volts at 154%.

That said, in the real world, if you power an amp with a variac and power the circuit with higher than standard line voltage (120VAC in the US), you'll likely damage the components. As far as the impact on sound, the amp will be louder with more headroom and won't break up as soon...but it will blow up faster...quite literally. If you turn the voltage down, it will go into clipping faster and you'll lose clean headroom. It will also be quieter. If cliff set up that parameter to function like an actual variac in the circuit, you should expect the same outcome. If 100% is standard nominal line voltage. 120v VS 220v should be irrelevant in the grand scheme of things in terms of the AX8.

You lost me with 120 volts at 154%.

That said, in the real world, if you power an amp with a variac and power the circuit with higher than standard line voltage (120VAC in the US), you'll likely damage the components. As far as the impact on sound, the amp will be louder with more headroom and won't break up as soon...but it will blow up faster...quite literally. If you turn the voltage down, it will go into clipping faster and you'll lose clean headroom. It will also be quieter. If cliff set up that parameter to function like an actual variac in the circuit, you should expect the same outcome. If 100% is standard nominal line voltage. 120v VS 220v should be irrelevant in the grand scheme of things in terms of the AX8.

I said IF 100% is 120 volts

But thanks for your input!!

Back
Top Bottom