Vangelis - Blade Runner

yes indeed. he got a lot of use out of that synth...and at over £3000 when it came out in '79 (?) that was a hell of a lot of money, so i'm not surprised he used it on almost everything!

Great sound! I'm really digging this. Fantastic job Simeon.

I have made one simple improvement however. I used a Scene controller (neither of them are used in this patch) on the output level on Synth Block 2. So that when Scene 2 is engaged the Drone fades in rather than starting abruptly. Sounds a lot smoother.

Tie Scene controller 1 to the Level output in Synth block 2. Set the Min value to -80 and the Max value to 0. Add some damping (500 ms).
Go to scenes in controllers and in the appropriate controller set Scene 1 to 0% and Scene 2 to 100%.

Enjoy.

Edit: I also added a little bit more damping to the Volume Block (30ms) and I shifted all the voices in Synth block 1 up an octave to give better access to higher notes whilst maintaining better sustain.

Last edited:
Simeon, thank you. Clarky and you have really made me think about making the AF2 work harder for me. You've also made me seriously consider binning my Roland gear too.

I used a Scene controller (neither of them are used in this patch) on the output level on Synth Block 2. So that when Scene 2 is engaged the Drone fades in rather than starting abruptly. Sounds a lot smoother.

yes, i thought of this too...about 10mins after uploading version 2!

i was about to suggest it in this thread, so thanks for laying out the method...saves me the trouble of doing it!

Sim - unsurpriingly yet another surprisingly beautiful tone
love it..

I don't know if you ever heard my 'synth-like' lead tones [where I use the gate as an envelope filter to slow the attack]??
this tone was in fact inspired by the Spiral / Albedo era Vangelis lead tones.. which I adore...

anyways... major tippage of hat t'ya suh...
utterly stunning..

Wow - fantastic. Love BR and that soundtrack, so I love this. Just great.

My mind continues to be blown by "Pitch Looper" - was playing it the other day. I still don't know how that works :)

I've got to check this out tonight when I get home. I've always loved that soundtrack. I've pursued it on keyboard moreso than on guitar, but this will be cool to check out. One of my favorite synth heavy soundtracks of all time.

I made a couple of gigs behind the monitor desk for a dodgy covers act some fifteen years ago and when we got back to the wharehouse where the sound company stored the equipment I spotted this huge flightcase. When I asked about it, I was told it was keeping some old, useless, heavy synth that I could keep if I could just take it out of the way.
Guess what there was inside? Not less than a CS80. It took years to be repaired as it was in bad condition but it was worth it.

wow. i think only about 2000 people in the world actually owned one! very rare...awesome find!

hi do you need a pedal to play this - i cant get scene 1 to play - its silent - scene 2 has the drone but again i cant play over it

Yes, two of them. If you don't have any pedals, disconnect external 1 from the volume parameter in the volume block and external 2 from the control parameter in the whammy block. Set both parameters to max after doing so.

I removed the whammy pitch block to ease the CPU and instead used my whammy bar. Oh man I am loving this patch. I also second this for being a factory preset.

"impressive!"

Quite.

Yes, two of them. If you don't have any pedals, disconnect external 1 from the volume parameter in the volume block and external 2 from the control parameter in the whammy block. Set both parameters to max after doing so.

Set ext 1 to none. Shouldn't disabling the block disable its effect? And what whammy block? So I'm still not getting lead sound.

the bypass mode of the volume block defaults to mute, so if you bypass the block, you won't hear anything. if you disconnect a modifier, the parameter stays where it is, so if it's on zero (which is the default value for external 1) then it will stay there and you still won't hear any sound.

how to resolve:
1) turn the default value of externals 1 and 2 to 100% in the I/O ctrl pages
2) remove the volume and whammy blocks and replace with shunts
3) remove the links between the externals and the parameters they're linked to and set the parameters to max value

i'm so fed up with explaining this to people. i try to provide patches with some interesting functionality, but every time i include an external controller, i get people complaining that they get no sound, or it doesn't work for some reason. i need to find a solution to this, because it's kinda driving me crazy.

Set ext 1 to none. Shouldn't disabling the block disable its effect? And what whammy block? So I'm still not getting lead sound.

Are you not an english speaker? Having trouble understanding you.

I'll try anyway. The "Whammy" block is Pitch Block 2.

If you want a lead type sound change the 3 voices in Synth block 1 up an octave.

Back
Top Bottom