Vangelis - Blade Runner

simeon

Axe-Master
Vangelis - Blade Runner - version 2

well this started out as a simple patch to emulate "that" vangelis synth sound featured heavily on the blade runner soundtrack...but you know me...it didn't end up that way, as i've added in the ability to create a drone and play over it.

the patch has 2 scenes:

Scene 1 - normal play
Scene 2 - play over drone - the drone is set to E at the moment, but you can change it if you want

IMPORTANT: there are two external controllers involved:

external 1 is tied to the volume block
external 2 is tied to a whammy, so you can do the pitch drops. normal play is toe down. hold a note and rock the pedal back to create a drop.

demo: (this is version 1, cos i don't have time to record another right now - i fixed the drone)

patch: (version 2!)

Axe-Change - Download Preset - Blade Runner - by simeon

blocks involved:

Main line:
Comp + Drive 1 for good signal to pitch block
Synth block - two detuned sawtooths (with an added third one an octave below controlled by pitch, so you only hear it on low notes)
Pitch 1 - vibrato
Drive 2 - analog meat
Pitch 2 - whammy for drops
Filter 1 - envelope controlled filter
Filter 2 - pitch controlled filter so lower notes are brighter
Volume - for swells
Reverb - massive cavern!

Top row for drone:
Synth 2 > LFO controlled Filter > Plex detune for ambience

controllers involved:

Envelope > LFO2 depth > pitch block 1 (vibrato)
Envelope > filter block 1 (envelope filter)
LFO1 > synth 2 (detune)
LFO1 > filter block 3 top row (slow sweep on drone and pan)
LFO1 > Synth 2 voice 3 pan
Pitch > filter block 2 (pitch controlled filter)
Pitch > synth voice 3 (lower octave level)
External 1 > volume
External 2 > whammy control, mix and level (drop)

BTW - if you get any pops or crackles, unplug your USB cable...this patch is right on the edge of sensible CPU usage

Last edited:
Ridiculously good! Well done.

Also works for parts of Flash Gordon movie soundtrack. An often requested cover at pub gigs! :)

thanks guys. i may tweak it a bit more, because i'm not 100% happy with the drone element of it. there's a bit of a bump when you switch scenes. if i can squeeze in another synth block, i can get that to do the drone instead of the delays. would be much better, imo

ok, i've updated the patch so it's easier to use and the drone sounds better. i'll upload it in a little bit.

Frickin' awesome, and that's from a big Blade Runner fan! I can almost see the advertising on the airships...

+1 to this be amazing. The decay in particular is really amazing on that initial, long pad tone.

Hmm...now can I bend this to get that Jon & Vangelis sound on I'll Find My Way Home...loved that song as a kid...

Amazed. There are apparently few limits to what sounds the Axe FX can produce - if you have the skill. Which simeon demonstrates again and again. Thanks a lot for the preset! Big Bladerunner-fan.

Quite Amazing! Never thought my guitar would become some kind of Moog monster. Thanks a lot.

Back
Top Bottom