Van Halenish type Video Clip using the AxeFX & Redwirez

Mark Day

FAS Artist-in-Residence
Fractal Audio Systems
I found this thread: viewtopic.php?p=118444#p118444 and decided to download the IR's that were available to download...NICE. The IR I used in tandem with the wonderful AxeFx has given me a really cool VH1 type patch.

Yes it has too much gain and I'm using actives and an Uberschell amp mod...but I think it sounds COOL!!

Anyway I did the solo for "You Really Got Me" and then the intro rhythm played after the original album version for a comparison. I KNOW it's not exactly the same but I wanted a "believable" patch for my live use......

I used the IR included in this post....I have included the presets as well.

YOU MUST PUT THE IR below into USER location 2 or do an edit on the preset :)

Oh ya here is my Global EQ for OUT 1
Starting at the lowest frequency:
-9.4, 0.5, 0.2, -3.8, 0, -0.6, -1.6, -1.7, Level=0.0

Here's the vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKK0BDTdsXc&fmt=22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mark

Mike from Redwirez has asked me to include this disclaimer :)

WARNING!!!!!!
=================================
These IRs may cause vomiting, diarrhea and may engender an extreme dislike for pie. In other words, they may suck! They are not part of the standard Red Wire collection. They were a fun, little experiment we posted on a forum thread along with some other IRs to see if they would be useful for metal. I repeat, they are NOT part of the regular collection as they have the mids scooped out, making them most useful for taming a build-up of low-mids and probably pretty poor for everything else. At Red Wire, we strive to capture our IRs without preamp coloration or post-processing, so please do not gauge the quality of our collection based on these IRs, even if you happen to like them. Please DO NOT post these IRs without also posting this warning. Thanks for listening.
=================================

Attachments

• EVH AXE STUFF.zip
    6.5 KB · Views: 251
The video sounds great, as always!

And, also as always, your patch doesn't translate that well to my FR setup.... ;-)
I'm using the RW IR of couse. Must be the guitar.

I had to turn down levels because it was clipping like hell. Probably because of the Layout Mixer level (fully up !!!), But then again your CAB level was set to -19dB .... :)
Maybe your Global Output levels are set quite low.

yek said:

And, also as always, your patch doesn't translate that well to my FR setup.... ;-)

I had to turn down levels because it was clipping like hell. Probably because of the Layout Mixer level (fully up !!!), But then again your CAB level was set to -19dB .... :)

FORGOT TO MENTION I AM USING THE EVIL GLOBAL EQ AS USUAL...whoops!!

I pull down the 3 bottom frequencies. Adjust to taste :)

Mark

yek said:

Lol, and I never said I knew what I was doing...lol

Mark

FreaqyFrequency said:
Think you meant an "fmt=22" at the end of that link, Mark. ;)

Thanks for the clip. Your tone is legendary.

Thanks and thanks!!!

Mark

Hi Mark,

Sounds good to me.

Like Yek I find that your patches dont translate well for me (Im using Dynaudio BM5A monitors).
This not a criticism at all, just a curious observation :)

Can you explain why you have the effects loop active in your patches. Are you running anything external into the patch chain?
thanks, I appreciate your great tone and playing

i'm pretty sure he does that to go front of house, and run a signal to his art sla2 and out to randall cabs on stage. he runs both when playing live. bless his heart...

aussiejoe said:
Hi Mark,

Sounds good to me.

Like Yek I find that your patches dont translate well for me (Im using Dynaudio BM5A monitors).
This not a criticism at all, just a curious observation :)

Can you explain why you have the effects loop active in your patches. Are you running anything external into the patch chain?
thanks, I appreciate your great tone and playing

The FX loop is a send to my ART SLA poweramp so it is NOT getting the cabinet sims...because it is going to two guitar cabs. So OUT 2 is for the ART/cabs and OUT 1 is to go to the PA or DAW :)

I have heard that my patches don't always translate well to others' rigs....bummer :(

Mark

So how does this not violate redwirez eula? The zip file contains the IR as far as I can tell.

plexi59 said:
So how does this not violate redwirez eula? The zip file contains the IR as far as I can tell.

That was an "experimental" IR that Red Wirez passed around for everyone to try .... Same as the "ambient" IR's that he did the same thing with.

plexi59 said:

Mike is a class act and has allowed me to share this one :)
I may have to wash his dishes and mow his lawn for awhile, but I am willing to do that for you guys :)

Mark

Back
Top Bottom