Van Halen - Somebody Get Me a Doctor - Full Cover and Patch Q2.0

guitarzen

Inspired
Hi guys,

I was having some fun playing Somebody get Me a Doctor today so I decided to record it for fun. I'm using a backing track from guitarbackintrack.com and the guitar is just my Axe FXII XL straight into Garageband. The patch is included. It uses the Y Cab position, and uses a free 4x12 Pre Rola grennback cab that Cliff shared a while ago, which I really dig. I included the link to the cab below as well. Enjoy!

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ir-present-for-you.91649/

Attachments

• VH Brown Sound Q2.0 PR1.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 94
Cool... I just learned the solo for this song a couple of weeks ago.. Can you give some details on the preset so that I can try to recreate it in the AX8.. (If someone has both AX8 and AXEII would be so kind as to duplicate this preset for the AX8 that'd be awesome.)

Sounds good.. the "Brown Sound" preset in the AX8 is pretty close and certainly passable.. I might have to play around and find that cabinet.... that might help give it that last bit of sizzle I'm looking for.

Awesome! Wish I could play it that well. I made a video a few weeks ago on my VH tone - just set up the camera & tried to play some VH licks.

Nice playing...Can I just suggest not using the phaser in your tone if you are going for the brown sound? EVH primarily only used the phaser on his guitar solos to make them pop. He typically never used it in his rhythm. Of course unless you like it then that's all that matters.

Cool... I just learned the solo for this song a couple of weeks ago.. Can you give some details on the preset so that I can try to recreate it in the AX8.. (If someone has both AX8 and AXEII would be so kind as to duplicate this preset for the AX8 that'd be awesome.)

Sounds good.. the "Brown Sound" preset in the AX8 is pretty close and certainly passable.. I might have to play around and find that cabinet.... that might help give it that last bit of sizzle I'm looking for.
Thanks 3dognate! The solo is really interesting on this song. The first descending lick is really tough for me to get the timing on, the rest of the solo is a little more achievable. The cabinet IR is pretty nice, great depth. It gives a nice vintage sound that I hear on this song and on Beautiful Girls. I'll post some screen shots of the preset block settings this weekend when I get back in town.

Excellent! What guitar have you used? I'm willing to try this patch with my EBMM Van Halen model.
Thanks Ricardo. The guitar I'm using is a Peavey Wolfgang with a Frankie pickup in the bridge, fat brass block upgrade, and Fender 150XL pure nickel 9-40 strings. I think this patch should translate reasonably well to an EBMM with some minor tweaks. Let me know how it turns out.

Nice job zen! I think the guitar is a tad bit loud in the mix but that's just my ears ;)
Thanks Lee!
Yeah, I agree, I didn't spend much effort recording or mixing this. I just listened back and realized also that my guitar wasn't really in tune with the bass in the backing track either - oops. Oh well, next time...

Back
Top Bottom